Electric motor for raising and lowering lights

Alright @revhtree ....ran into your build thread finally.....it's a 400 gallon 8'x3' tank, so you are going to have some kind of rack for your lights.

I assume you'll use aluminum and I'm estimating no more than 40 pounds. (Maybe a lot less...that's a very heavy duty option.)

I assume you'll pick Kessil AP700's or the similarly sized Maxspect Razor 180w....ideally five across the top...adding 40 or 20 pounds (respectively) worth of fixtures. ($3800 vs $2500)

So total of about 80 pounds possible and we'd like to lift (or push) it two feet out of the way.

Here's some stuff from another place I found:
mini_actuator_pa-14-3.png

 
Bro you seriously ROCK!!!!!

So I am assuming I will need 2 of these?

Alright @revhtree ....ran into your build thread finally.....it's a 400 gallon 8'x3' tank, so you are going to have some kind of rack for your lights.

I assume you'll use aluminum and I'm estimating no more than 40 pounds. (Maybe a lot less...that's a very heavy duty option.)

I assume you'll pick Kessil AP700's or the similarly sized Maxspect Razor 180w....ideally five across the top...adding 40 or 20 pounds (respectively) worth of fixtures. ($3800 vs $2500)

So total of about 80 pounds possible and we'd like to lift (or push) it two feet out of the way.

Here's some stuff from another place I found:
mini_actuator_pa-14-3.png

 
By the numbers, one can do it.

One or both of those websites I linked to have a section for guides... I can imagine you needing a few of those possibly. You might be able to get away without them though.

I would spend some time on YouTube looking at actuator installations to get some ideas how to install this the best way.
 
Wow! Following! Thanks for this thread! So much good info for actuators, might splurge on one also.
 
This is on my todo list for my next build. I found some videos on YT. This was the best one. Dunno who it is.


I think I would want to flip the whole contraption and run it such that the linear actuator and slides are mounted from above rather than to the stand. This would ensure all that stuff is out of the way if you have access to the back.
 
I learned a long time ago about linear actuators and water.:) Tried them here at work on a project they lasted a month before the threads became rusted and locked up.
 
I think I would want to flip the whole contraption and run it such that the linear actuator and slides are mounted from above

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think all the ones I've linked have been push/pull at your discretion.

I learned a long time ago about linear actuators and water.:) Tried them here at work on a project they lasted a month before the threads became rusted and locked up.

All the ones I've linked have been IP66 I think....sealed vs dust and splashing....I think all offer options for IP67, which I think is good vs jets of water.

People use them for snowplows in the midwest (wet+salt+wet+salt+wet+salt) and still get good usage time out of them.

2¢
 
FYI, they make slide-type actuators too...considering one of those for a lighting mount myself....or part of one....different purposes of course. :)
 
Great info!
 
I have used every actuator out there.:) The good thing about them is if you use one in an application you can take it off and throw it away.:)
In David's case a simple block and tackle would be just as useful. Since he is not dealing with looks as it would behind a wall. Then use a c cleat to hold the rope. Simple and will hold the weight of years.

bt4.gif
 
Thanks and I was just about to revisit this thread as it's about time to buy something!
 
So, did you buy something? Interested to know what the final decision was. Looking to set up something like this myself. I've seen a few reefers using the Sun Systems one, but its not readily available in Canada. Planning on visiting a couple of local hydroponic stores, which is a great suggestion.
 
I have my 6' lights suspended over my tank by stainless steel cables on pulleys with a counterweight. I just touch them and they rise out of my way Similar to the block and tackle above and practically free. The weight hangs behind the tank.
 
Last edited:
I have my 6' lights suspended over my tank by stainless steel cables on pulleys with a counterweight. I just touch them and they rise out of my way Similar to the block and tackle above and practically free. The weight hangs behind the tank.
Would love to see a pic. I can't visualize this stuff!
 
Blue container is filled with lead shot.

 
I will pick something soon! I will now not need one that is so heavy duty!
 
I'm a little late to the party but I've been using an electric lift for my lights for the last 18 years. My rack is pretty large so I went with a 110v winch connected to a pulley systems. That said, as mentioned previously, the linear actuators are nice and they are also very quiet. My winch, while bullet proof, is very noisy. My light lift and light rack are briefly touched on at the 9:20 mark in this video.


This is a really old video showing the installation of the aluminum light rack when I first switched to LED's. My original light rack was made out of wood.

This part shows the assembly of the light rack and getting it into the lighting soffet as well as prepping it for the pulley cables.

This particular part of this series covers connecting it to the winch via the pulleys.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top