Ever start to feel bummed about your tank??

I'm a little bummed right now because I am on vacation and the pet/house sitter called me and said she walked into the tank room and the yellow wrasse splashed and sounded like it jumped out of the tank. In told her with the screen lids it shouldnt be able to actually get out. She called back 2 minuteds later and said that it was somehow caught between the mesh top and the eurobracing. She got it back into the tank but said it doesnt look well...:squigglemouth:

Hoping it will be okay, but hate that im not there to make that judgement.
 
Sorry to hear that Chris! I know how you feel. I'm in Tarma,Peru on a mission trip and my only connection to the tank is my Apex and Facebook with the sitter. Hope your wrasse is ok. Mine is one of my favorites!
 
I'm having mixed emotions lately. Happy and bummed. Doing a new build is great when it comes together as planned. 2 weeks of rain has slowed things considerably because the (new to me) tank is outside. I need to reseal the bottom (just to be safe) and add my overflow skim boxes. Can't do that in the rain :) Can't bring it in either. Not so simple. The stand isn't built yet and 180g glass tank requires a bunch of muscle to move.

On a good note, I have everything I need equipment wise and just need 200 lbs of live and dry sand and it's good to go :)

Good thing I'm making my own LR cuz my old LR in the tank has asternia stars and can't use that rock now :(

There are constant ups and downs in reefkeeping but knowing something good is right around the corner gets you through the downs :)

Jackie
 
i would never say i got bummed it means something else over here in the uk lol
but just started back with marines all was going well till lost all the fish this week
 
yeah i get down about my tanks when i have things to do and no time to do them, like water changes, fixing this or that you know you should, but the tank will survive if you dont. I hate neglecting anything, but when i don't neglect any of the details, i neglect something in my regular life. All about that balance i guess.
 
i would never say i got bummed it means something else over here in the uk lol
but just started back with marines all was going well till lost all the fish this week

That's sad, I'm sorry. Been there a couple of times myself. Do you know what caused your losses?

Jackie
 
I know sometimes I do. I have lots of xenia I try to keep trimmed back, teal palys multiplying like crazy, no one interested in buying them. I wish I never got those palys. I should have got a brighter color. The positive side is I got a tank full of coral
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402732823.796257.jpg
I wish I had a better income, I'm not able to afford scolys or nice chalices. Or a large tank for that matter. My other tank I have clams in, they're not nice colors. I can't keep anything in there besides mushrooms because my fish eat coral.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402733104.390545.jpg
I have three mushrooms and they're all green :( I have to wait on buying some colorful ones because I can only afford a refurbished rodi system this month.
 
Both of your tanks look pretty nice to me :D We all wind up getting items we wish we didn't. I sold all of mine (rock and all) to a LFS. Have you tried that? They might trade or give you store credit for it. I loved my xenia bit it really took over. I'm going to set up a 45g corner tank for stuff like that around Christmas. I just don't have time right now. If you buy anything save up for the rodi. It is worth every penny and the best thing you can do for your system. If you trade or get credit you can get some higher end zoas/palys and when they get big enough you can frag and sell them. Then put that money back into more and so on. And your clams are great! I wish I could keep them...

Jackie
 
The pet stores here in my town are stuck up and won't give credits. I'm just gonna keep what I have. I don't want to disrupt the eco system. I do get bummed sometimes because I wish I had got better colors than plain old pink blue and purple. Why can't you keep clams? I'm curious on why people can't keep them. I can't keep sps.
 
I heard corals grow better in rodi. What other benefits will I see with the rodi. My water stays clean with the tap water I've been using for three years but I wonder about the metals and other compounds I don't know of.
 
I'm still trying to figure that out. I think it's low ph and the same reason I can't keep sps either. Other than monti caps that is. I'm hoping that with a co2 scrubber and piping in outside air on my 180 that will be st up next month, I'll try again. Of course I'll have to wait until the tank settles a bit.

Yeah some LFS are that way. We got a new one in our area that is mainly coral. So they were happy to take in such a huge amount of pulsing xenia. I traded them for some rock, zoas and a couple of acan frags.

Have you tried to sell them on craigs list or reefing facebook groups?

Jackie
 
I've tried that, not many people keep salt water here so not many buyers. No big deal. Have you tried Kent's super buffer dkh? It helped me raise my kh and maintain ph.
 
I've tried that, not many people keep salt water here so not many buyers. No big deal. Have you tried Kent's super buffer dkh? It helped me raise my kh and maintain ph.

I'm sorry to hear that.


Kh is high, ph is low. Buffers cause too much alk fluctuation. Be careful of that. I'm going to build the scrubber in a few days when the soda lime gets here and get an outside airline to the skimmer tomorrow and see what happens. I live in florida, this seems to be common here :(

Jackie
 
I've seen that's the down side of using that product. I have dkh of 12 in my clam tank and 13 in my coral tank. Let me know how the scrubber works. My ph tries to be at 8.0. What about yours?
 
Normally about 7.8 or a little less. Today it was just reaching 7.9 because I had the house open this morning.

I just finished installing an outside air line and am about to hook it up to the skimmer intake. I'll get the results tomorrow at about 5pm. I want to test it around the same time as todays test. When I make and add the co2 scrubber I'll test ph again.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top