every time i go to vacation rtn or stn

  • Thread starter Thread starter arafas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Where do you keep your alk typically? If you are tracking the alk through your trident and not seeing anything weird, my guess would be nutrient related. Maybe phosphates are dropping too low. .03ppm is riding the edge of too low for a lot of people, especially if they’re running higher alk.
 
Where do you keep your alk typically? If you are tracking the alk through your trident and not seeing anything weird, my guess would be nutrient related. Maybe phosphates are dropping too low. .03ppm is riding the edge of too low for a lot of people, especially if they’re running higher alk.
Alk is 9.5 always. No issues ever. Actually usually my phosphate is around 0.01-0.02. I Def have little bit of algae on some rocks, but a few patches nothing crazy. Nitrate I like between 15-20ppm otherwise colors look like crap. You can check my Instagram arturreef and see the tank, posted recent video of the tank.
 
Alk is 9.5 always. No issues ever. Actually usually my phosphate is around 0.01-0.02. I Def have little bit of algae on some rocks, but a few patches nothing crazy. Nitrate I like between 15-20ppm otherwise colors look like crap. You can check my Instagram arturreef and see the tank, posted recent video of the tank.
That po4 would be a concern for me. The alk itself may be alright, but a higher alk makes swings in nutrient levels more likely to do damage. If your po4 happened to bottom out when you were away, I think that could stress out the acros. I struggle to keep my phosphate above .03 and have alk at 7.5. When my phosphate drops near zero I see tissue recession on my acros. That has been less true since I’ve started dosing amino acids regularly, but I still po4 closely. Fwiw algae on my rocks improved substantially once I let my nutrients rise a bit, especially my cyano.

Beautiful tank by the way!!
 
That po4 would be a concern for me. The alk itself may be alright, but a higher alk makes swings in nutrient levels more likely to do damage. If your po4 happened to bottom out when you were away, I think that could stress out the acros. I struggle to keep my phosphate above .03 and have alk at 7.5. When my phosphate drops near zero I see tissue recession on my acros. That has been less true since I’ve started dosing amino acids regularly, but I still po4 closely. Fwiw algae on my rocks improved substantially once I let my nutrients rise a bit, especially my cyano.

Beautiful tank by the way!!
Thank you , Yes i dose some acropower. I have bottle of brightwell phosphate might be trying bringing up a little to see what happens. Usually yes i dont let bottom out since cyano comes back def. last time i had this issue I used chemiclean to prevent rtn/stn which helped, after this it caused little bit of algae growth in some areas, where even my tangs dont like that algae which is weird, its hair algae go figure. Right now everything stopped., I cut the dead piece from the acro to prevent futher loss. Also i am doing some baceteria dosing microbacter 7 and clean which seems to help lets see.
 
Thank you , Yes i dose some acropower. I have bottle of brightwell phosphate might be trying bringing up a little to see what happens. Usually yes i dont let bottom out since cyano comes back def. last time i had this issue I used chemiclean to prevent rtn/stn which helped, after this it caused little bit of algae growth in some areas, where even my tangs dont like that algae which is weird, its hair algae go figure. Right now everything stopped., I cut the dead piece from the acro to prevent futher loss. Also i am doing some baceteria dosing microbacter 7 and clean which seems to help lets see.
Of course! And that sounds good, keep us posted on how the dosing goes! You could be onto something you mentioned earlier re ph and bacteria, as well. Since you’re dosing bacteria, when you leave the house and ph rises, those colonies could grow and drop po4 too fast. Then you return, their growth slows, and things stabilize again.

Glad to hear the recession has stopped for the time being!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top