FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

What's the dud:stud ratio on maricultures? I've considered buying one a couple times, but I hear they tend to lose their color.
I've had over 30 pieces over the years, I've kept about 9-10. But I think I may have some high standards regarding which ones stay compared to others so take that with a grain of salt. Realistically, I've only found 4 that I just thought were pain ugly or never colored up well for me. FWIW, mariculture milles are the worst for survival rate. I rarely have deaths from maris and if they do die, most of the time, they are milles.
 
Snaps I took last night to de-stress!
007806bccd0566db2fcde223fe6dca70.jpg
85a1dd5811843c7caf6d24a1191f4464.jpg
8af7670263c39bf9968aa4e94f7f897d.jpg
dfc9600b8fe0d2b28512ec89fd0be8cd.jpg
6426ea15dece219a115b0b55697a56d4.jpg
3001cb6f734d43c15ff9c20ef1ce6071.jpg
5ae1acd0442e5657c7e4eb49bb0d3386.jpg
 
Everything looks incredible. Good show, Sir. What is the name of the blue hairy acro/milli that is in the 3rd pic up.? I just acquired a small piece of possibly the same thing. Your specimen looks robust and healthy.
 
Everything looks incredible. Good show, Sir. What is the name of the blue hairy acro/milli that is in the 3rd pic up.? I just acquired a small piece of possibly the same thing. Your specimen looks robust and healthy.
Thanks Kevlow! That's my Palmers Blue mille. Its a great grower!

IMG_20161214_085350.jpg
 
Thank you. That is a perfect looking beast!
Underneath is that a Stawberry Shortcake? If so, how are you keeping the green so light and the red so dark?
I've grown a fondness for it as initially, I was about to boot it in the first 3 months as it was just an ugly, brown, fuzzy stick with hints of blue. I'm glad I didn't!

The strawberry shortcake coloration I believe is attributed to me not running much actinics overall in my tank (less green coloration in corals) and running a purple plus bulb over it, which brings out more reds and oranges. I'm actually planning to add more actinics to the system and bring out even more of that flourescing green color.
 
I've grown a fondness for it as initially, I was about to boot it in the first 3 months as it was just an ugly, brown, fuzzy stick with hints of blue. I'm glad I didn't!

The strawberry shortcake coloration I believe is attributed to me not running much actinics overall in my tank (less green coloration in corals) and running a purple plus bulb over it, which brings out more reds and oranges. I'm actually planning to add more actinics to the system and bring out even more of that flourescing green color.

That is good info. When I had Radions in use, I had the Blues 100%, Whites 100% Red at 50%. This much white and red probably was contibuting to less green in my tank. But I no longer use the Radions

Now I want to reduce the amount of green in my SSC. Right now it looks more like a Pistachio Short Cake. I want it to go in the direction of your colors.
 
Yummm.... Sounds tasty! [emoji12]

Hopefully the changes helps brings the reds out more for you.
 
I've had over 30 pieces over the years, I've kept about 9-10. But I think I may have some high standards regarding which ones stay compared to others so take that with a grain of salt. Realistically, I've only found 4 that I just thought were pain ugly or never colored up well for me. FWIW, mariculture milles are the worst for survival rate. I rarely have deaths from maris and if they do die, most of the time, they are milles.

One of our LFS gets in maricultures and frags them down to $15.00 pieces. Then they sit on a rack for months. By the time I get around to buying them, they have kinda sorted themselves out. They are usually brown but healthy. When you buy one it is kind of a surprise to see what it turns out to be after a couple months in your system. I really have not yet found anything completely ugly. More often then not, it is a pleasant surprise. I am fortunate enough to get to make my purchase after any initial die off has occurred.
 
Very nice!
 
Nice! I didn't recognize it in the picture. Mine is still a little nub frag.. slow grower for me.
 
Nice! I didn't recognize it in the picture. Mine is still a little nub frag.. slow grower for me.
It was when a small frag but has started to grow much faster once it became a mini-colony.
 
I wanted to replicate what it would look like if you snuck into my house, grabbed a beer out of my beer fridge, and sat in front of the tank for 5 uninterrupted minutes before the cops came. [emoji14]

 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top