FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Sorry to post a pic on your journal, I consider photography as a companion hobby, taken just now, tamron 90 macro, nikon 5200.

DSC_0001 by sshipuk, on Flickr
Spectacular shot! How on earth did you get such a good close shot of the fish?

I see what you mean by companion hobby. Its just as expensive too as reefing. [emoji51]
 
Ty, what is the aperture on those pictures you took with the tamron above?
Smallest aperture I could get Mr V, F45. I figured maximize the DOF for the pictures and minimize the amount of light.
 
I cheated, I'm ok at static fish and corals! ;)
Haha, got a static fish shot! Clownfish was giving me the stinkeye being so close to the anemone but it gave me a chance to snap a pic of him!

ec00878f979ab76444e21f5f9485802a.jpg
 
Last edited:
Love your pics Ty... things look fantastic. How much room do you typically leave between acros? I've been placing a few more lately and trying to leave atleast 6 inches between for encrusting, growth etc..
 
Love your pics Ty... things look fantastic. How much room do you typically leave between acros? I've been placing a few more lately and trying to leave atleast 6 inches between for encrusting, growth etc..
Thanks Nick! I would not be the model for spacing when gluing frags as I tend to glue them too close. Generally, if you leave about 4" minimum, you shouldn't have problems unless its one that really loves to base and grow horizontally more than vertical. Any acros that table should be on the edge of a cliff and lower in my opinion as they will take up a lot of space and you won't get to enjoy that tabled look as much if they aren't reaching out to the side.
 
They use actinic Cree diodes and also add violet diodes as well. Fixture is also a clean looking aluminum housing that looks way better than the XHO Reefbrite fixture I used to have. Comes with a dimmer as well though I can't remember if the Reefbrite comes with a dimmer or not.

All of these are the reasons I don't care for the XHO... The lack of Violet/UV kills me, and the lack of dimmer also kinda sucks.

@FarmerTy -- Is "the factory" a separate frag system, or is that in the stand/sump area?
 
All of these are the reasons I don't care for the XHO... The lack of Violet/UV kills me, and the lack of dimmer also kinda sucks.

@FarmerTy -- Is "the factory" a separate frag system, or is that in the stand/sump area?

Yeah, Reefbrite became the standard for actinic bars but I see better options for better prices personally. Hopefully the competition makes them innovate and reduce prices.

Its a frag tank tied into the main system. Far end is for anemone propagation, middle section is the "factory", and closest section is staging for frags ordered or precut frags I needs to sell off. There is occasional spillover of my factory into this area. [emoji51]
a12e396804e43342b227b8dbd14e924f.jpg
 
A frag system tied to the main system is what I'd do if I had that kinda room. Looks great!
 
A frag system tied to the main system is what I'd do if I had that kinda room. Looks great!
Thanks Rakie! I can't go back now. Its been too nice and tidy to have a stable frag tank tied to my main display. I told my wife if we ever move again, I'll need another fish room. [emoji41]

What I wish is a stable coral QT tank in the mix but that's more work than I can handle with a 1-year old right now.
 
Thanks Rakie! I can't go back now. Its been too nice and tidy to have a stable frag tank tied to my main display. I told my wife if we ever move again, I'll need another fish room. [emoji41]

What I wish is a stable coral QT tank in the mix but that's more work than I can handle with a 1-year old right now.

I want to set up a coral QT as well but like you said, it won't be stable for some time most likely...
 
So that its not just macro shots of frags all day. There is a real display that those frags sit in. [emoji16]

Oh, and a picture of the Colorado Sunburst because it was looking mighty special last night.

IMG_20180405_095143.jpg


IMG_20180405_095306.jpg


IMG_20180405_095046.jpg
 
That yellow scroll coral is amazing. They are such slow growers, how long have you had that piece?
All beautiful as always and sunburst is amazing as well.
Your display is so clean, how do you do that?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top