FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

That yellow scroll coral is amazing. They are such slow growers, how long have you had that piece?
All beautiful as always and sunburst is amazing as well.
Your display is so clean, how do you do that?
Oh my! I think almost 8 years now? I've never given it prime position in any of my tanks but its still dutifully growing away in the corner. You just can't get yellow like that in anything else.

I do this monthly to keep it clean. [emoji13]
7f1fc6d730fab9efed8219e12892223d.jpg
 
Okay, that wasn't a long reprieve from the macro shots!

These are all actinic shots, how I see them in my frag tank, which is impossible to take a picture of until I got the new camera setup and filter.

Nikon D5300 with Tamron 90mm macro, Avast Marine look down tube with an orange filter all under full actinics.

IMG_20180405_211638.jpg


IMG_20180405_211558.jpg


IMG_20180405_211425.jpg


IMG_20180405_202637.jpg


IMG_20180405_202529.jpg


IMG_20180405_202455.jpg


IMG_20180405_202414.jpg


IMG_20180405_202221.jpg


IMG_20180405_202138.jpg


IMG_20180405_202055.jpg


IMG_20180405_201958.jpg


IMG_20180405_201907.jpg
 
Some frags that are stewing away in the frag tank. I was testing out the polarizing filter on the camera lens... Works pretty well to get rid of all that glare. It won't get rid of the LED diode reflections because they are too intense and single point but did a good job on just general glare.

I think I'm really liking this associative hobby of photography.

IMG_20180406_095212.jpg
 
I have recently also been trying to learn how to photograph my corals. It has been a fun process.
I thought your recent frag pictures have been great. What are you using to take the pictures?
 
Thanks! I am using a Nikon D3000.
Nice! I enjoy the Nikon cameras... Easy to use and intuitive... Well at least intuitive for someone who's never used a DSLR like me.

Which lens are you using to take your shots?
 
Okay, that wasn't a long reprieve from the macro shots!

These are all actinic shots, how I see them in my frag tank, which is impossible to take a picture of until I got the new camera setup and filter.

Nikon D5300 with Tamron 90mm macro, Avast Marine look down tube with an orange filter all under full actinics.

IMG_20180405_211638.jpg


IMG_20180405_211558.jpg


IMG_20180405_211425.jpg


IMG_20180405_202637.jpg


IMG_20180405_202529.jpg


IMG_20180405_202455.jpg


IMG_20180405_202414.jpg


IMG_20180405_202221.jpg


IMG_20180405_202138.jpg


IMG_20180405_202055.jpg


IMG_20180405_201958.jpg


IMG_20180405_201907.jpg



Fantastic pics.. Are you shooting Raw?
I am guessing not with the orange filter on..
 
Nice! I enjoy the Nikon cameras... Easy to use and intuitive... Well at least intuitive for someone who's never used a DSLR like me.

Which lens are you using to take your shots?
I am using two different ones. I use the standard 18-55 lens that comes with it and also a Nikon DX 55-200mm lens. I would love to get something like the Tamron 90mm 1:1 but I want to learn to take better pictures before I invest in something like that.
 
I am using two different ones. I use the standard 18-55 lens that comes with it and also a Nikon DX 55-200mm lens. I would love to get something like the Tamron 90mm 1:1 but I want to learn to take better pictures before I invest in something like that.
The bunch of frags picture was shot with a 35mm. I like experimenting with the different lenses.

I got a used Tamron for $150 at my local photography store. I think it was built in the late 90s but a lens is a lens. I would have loved to have the image stabilization and weather proofing the newest one has but that's a $400 price difference.
 
It is very addictive, frags but mostly photography, my camera never leaves the house, it's for the tanks. :)
My camera has to leave the house or my wife will catch on that its for the tank only. [emoji23]
 
It is very addictive, frags but mostly photography, my camera never leaves the house, it's for the tanks. :)

My camera has to leave the house or my wife will catch on that its for the tank only. [emoji23]

“Honey, I need new camera to take pictures of our new born son.” “Honey, you know that with a macro lens I can capture very cute close up pictures of our son” sound familiar?!...[emoji6]
 
That is why "White Lies" came into being. They are nothing more than half truths. What the wife doesn't really know won't hurt her. Better to ask for forgiveness than be told no and go behind her back. I am starting to think I need a new camera to take pictures of the Grand Kids? What can she say NO?

Nice frags like always!
 
“Honey, I need new camera to take pictures of our new born son.” “Honey, you know that with a macro lens I can capture very cute close up pictures of our son” sound familiar?!...[emoji6]
I better take a nice macro of his eyes before she catches on soon! [emoji28]
That is why "White Lies" came into being. They are nothing more than half truths. What the wife doesn't really know won't hurt her. Better to ask for forgiveness than be told no and go behind her back. I am starting to think I need a new camera to take pictures of the Grand Kids? What can she say NO?

Nice frags like always!
Haha, I'll take your advice Alton since you've been married so long. My backup Alton plan if all else fails... get her a nice red blender. [emoji12]
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top