FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Nighttime actinic fun in the display.

be41d798305159d016474539d06e56fc.jpg
0e2afbaf4be986959eca9ec7a73c0365.jpg
fc6824416fd4a4bb9a60d59aca9f4146.jpg
e4d9bbe6c5b16da7b3159fadb82e4eb3.jpg
3cd61efd2f9040f834848334640dd98e.jpg
 
Haven't made an update video in a long time. It seemed like the perfect time to do one since its been about a year since I upgraded houses and had to move my established SPS tank.

There were ups and downs during the first year, dinos, cyano enough to blanket everything in a maroon wonderland, red flatworms so dense it looked like cyano, red turf algae, a weird November where I saw unending STN and lost some stuff, marine velvet episode that killed 2/3rd of my fish population... This time from a dipped frag of all things... And so I say with much relief, that after a long first year... Made longer because I had my first kid at roughly the same time we moved so I was introduced to parenthood and sleepless nights... That I'm happy the tank has made it to where it has today.

A lot of thanks goes to local friends that helped a sleep deprived guy who didn't even know which way was up or down move. Continued thanks to friends that helped me cut a hole in the wall for me to build an in-wall setup and frame up cabinet doors and add a bar to it.

Even those that couldn't physically help, the support given in the forums was amazing and pushed me to carry forward through the lack of sleep and exhaustion after taking care of a newborn and moving houses in the same month. It seems ridiculous looking back that it took 4 months to aquascape and only really 3 months ago did I really start to glue down corals permanently. I'm actually still working on the right of the scape as I still need to glue corals on that side of the rock. You'll see in the video the area I quickly glossed over as its just bare rock... Think of it as an blank canvas. [emoji16]

Anyways, I'll wrap it up. Thanks all for your support through the first year of my new tank at the new house with the new baby. I couldn't have done it without you! Here's the video!

 
Last edited:
Your video is not showing up but I did watch it on YouTube already, lol. The tank looks stunning!

What process did you take to deal with all the dino, cyano and algae?
 
Your video is not showing up but I did watch it on YouTube already, lol. The tank looks stunning!

What process did you take to deal with all the dino, cyano and algae?
Thanks for the heads up! Link fixed! It only showed up in tapatalk for some reason originally.

Cyano was just part of the normal maturation process... But after staring at it for 2-3 months, I decided to use chemiclean. Worked like a charm... And if the definition of charm is substitute cyano for dinos... Then yes, like a charm.

So I battled dinos for 2-3 months... It would get worse, then better, then worse, then better... I just kept attacking it with hydrogen peroxide and my giant UV. I picked up an oxydater to help oxygenate my water and shortly after, my dinos started to slowly go away. I doubt it was just the oxydater but more than likely combined methods that finally eradicated it. Red turf was easy, turbo snails took care of that no problem. I usually let it grow like crazy initially to avoid other algaes as I know turbo snails will wipe it out in 2 weeks flat.
 
Looking Great like always! Somehow I need to get a frag of the red SPS on the bottom left, and the bright red Gonipora.
Thanks Alton! That colony at the bottom left is a Frag Farmers Red Robin Stag. For some reason I feel like you got a frag of it already but I could be remembering wrong. If not, I'll be at the Maast Swap and can bring you one buddy.
 
Actually, that's the red planet in your picture Alton. Maybe you didn't get it!
Wait, you mean this colony, right? That's the frag farmers red robin stag. Below it is a setosa, reddish orange.
f1913cd3459f12d70aa1950f80431d2a.jpg
 
Gorgeous tank, something I'd love my tank to aspire to ! !

What is the pink island on the right, xenia?
 
Gorgeous tank, something I'd love my tank to aspire to ! !

What is the pink island on the right, xenia?
Thanks Fudsey for following along! Its been quite a journey with the move but it's getting there!

How dare you utter the "X" word in this thread! [emoji14] Its a red/pink goniopora.
 
Got these cool little magnetic eggcrate holders last week! Works perfectly and I can customize it for whatever size rack I want. It made a perfect frag pack staging area for pictures! I love gadgets!
1c756a8f01cb626672c2f925ca9a7068.jpg
2b711206fba83def3da79900d017bb14.jpg
4c73843a6cfb4de78ac174d8b1241f8c.jpg
114a5923237043ccb565cd5d09adf2f1.jpg
d4474c3c4acc29c12d7a0edf63d64e35.jpg
 
Yep I want a setosa!
Fudsey, Ty is the coral Whisperer
Too kind Alton! I've killed plenty of corals over the years so it took a trail of coral skeletons to learn from all those mistakes.

I'll frag you a piece sir!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top