FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

No problem! I've been really liking the new Orphek light bars. Been looking to see success using them before I can comfortably recommend them to friends.
Are you running their full color reef bars, actinic, or UV?
 
Are you running their full color reef bars, actinic, or UV?

Radion on my display. But at their suspiciously good price point, I'm thinking 2-3 of 24" ones would be excellent for my little frag tank. Two of the 24" models come out at 110w and $250-ish. About three times the power and spread of an AI Prime HD for $50 more.

I would probably pair a UV with the Full Spectrum if I were to be using them as primary lighting -- The Radion AB+ program comes out around 18.5k so it wouldn't be such a huge shock to corals (I hope!)
 
Radion on my display. But at their suspiciously good price point, I'm thinking 2-3 of 24" ones would be excellent for my little frag tank. Two of the 24" models come out at 110w and $250-ish. About three times the power and spread of an AI Prime HD for $50 more.

I would probably pair a UV with the Full Spectrum if I were to be using them as primary lighting -- The Radion AB+ program comes out around 18.5k so it wouldn't be such a huge shock to corals (I hope!)
Their uv bar intrigues me.
 
Same here, looks very promising
I borrowed a UV strip light from a buddy who got it from a major light manufacturer. True UV diodes, sub 400 nanometers... Not like Radion or Kessil dubbed UV which is above 400nm... That's really more violet. The look it had was very much different from your standard actinic lighting.

While most corals looked similar under regular actinics and the actinic strip with UV, there was one monti, the Cornbred Flaming Phoenix that had some amazing streaks under UV.

White light:
304d447276a2f717d226b66b0cf3601c.jpg


Regular actinics:
32e239e28cc7706fb3e5e4bb68f4c925.jpg


Actinics with true UV:
cb900dc66b0ef9fd7049c7590f02b27f.jpg

7be0d9e535f8ef191d4853148a1ea42f.jpg


My jaw dropped! It blew my mind! [emoji50]
 
I borrowed a UV strip light from a buddy who got it from a major light manufacturer. True UV diodes, sub 400 nanometers... Not like Radion or Kessil dubbed UV which is above 400nm... That's really more violet. The look it had was very much different from your standard actinic lighting.

My jaw dropped! It blew my mind! [emoji50]

Yep!

As you experienced though -- True UV is EXTREMELY hard on plastics. True UV diodes literally destroy themselves with the UV -- They also had the same results on your acrylic shield on your SBar. That's why manufacturers don't use true UV -- It will destroy itself with regular use within a year or so, and the fixture is typically self-destructive. Further -- It's destructive to Acrylic tanks.

UV is the coral wonder drug -- The reason we love blue lights is the pop comes from the UV, and corals benefit from the UV which is higher in blue lighting than in typical white lighting. But as we've both found, it's kind of a double edged sword. It's weakness is it's strength.
 
Yep!

As you experienced though -- True UV is EXTREMELY hard on plastics. True UV diodes literally destroy themselves with the UV -- They also had the same results on your acrylic shield on your SBar. That's why manufacturers don't use true UV -- It will destroy itself with regular use within a year or so, and the fixture is typically self-destructive. Further -- It's destructive to Acrylic tanks.

UV is the coral wonder drug -- The reason we love blue lights is the pop comes from the UV, and corals benefit from the UV which is higher in blue lighting than in typical white lighting. But as we've both found, it's kind of a double edged sword. It's weakness is it's strength.
That is about the best I've heard anybody sum it up. Thank you for that Rakie!
 
Yep!

As you experienced though -- True UV is EXTREMELY hard on plastics. True UV diodes literally destroy themselves with the UV -- They also had the same results on your acrylic shield on your SBar. That's why manufacturers don't use true UV -- It will destroy itself with regular use within a year or so, and the fixture is typically self-destructive. Further -- It's destructive to Acrylic tanks.

UV is the coral wonder drug -- The reason we love blue lights is the pop comes from the UV, and corals benefit from the UV which is higher in blue lighting than in typical white lighting. But as we've both found, it's kind of a double edged sword. It's weakness is it's strength.
It sounds like it’s almost pointless to have UV unless you want to keep replacing them.
 
@FarmerTy Yep. That's why I too, am interested in their Violet / UV bar from orphek. It's a little lower than Radion/AI, but potentially not so low that it's self-destructive.

@bubbaque -- Exactly. Are you willing to pay, say, $160 every year or two for obscene pop and coral health/growth? To some people, buying a new UV Bar every year could be seen as tank maintenance. If you really think about it, the 48" Orphek UV/Violet bar is $160 -- That's $13.33 per month if you get a new one every year. And it'll probably last at least two years, as they are not DEEP uv. At two years it's less than $7 a month for the most insane pop, and coral growth you can buy.

It's always more complicated than a simple yes or no. Stupid hobby lol
 
So under the tutelage of @bubbaque, I've been working on my photography game a bit more. I ordered some extension tubes for my 55mm-200mm zoom lens and began using Adobe Lightroom to edit my pictures instead of using an app on my phone. I also have been uploading my pictures directly from the laptop instead of using Tapatalk to upload and compress the pictures.

Let me know what you guys think? This is my first run at Lightroom though @bubbaque made it dummy proof because he literally showed me how he edits on video and well... monkey see, monkey do.

aquasdrainbow (1 of 1).jpg
bubblegumdigi (1 of 1).jpg
FTeternalflame (1 of 1).jpg
FTpurpleefflo (1 of 1).jpg
ogstrawberryshortcake (1 of 1).jpg
pinklemonade (1 of 1).jpg
RRCpinkcadillac (1 of 1).jpg
sunnyxsunset (1 of 1).jpg
unknown3 (1 of 1).jpg
unnamed (1 of 1).jpg
unnamedmille (1 of 1).jpg

LOVE the photos
 
@FarmerTy Yep. That's why I too, am interested in their Violet / UV bar from orphek. It's a little lower than Radion/AI, but potentially not so low that it's self-destructive.

@bubbaque -- Exactly. Are you willing to pay, say, $160 every year or two for obscene pop and coral health/growth? To some people, buying a new UV Bar every year could be seen as tank maintenance. If you really think about it, the 48" Orphek UV/Violet bar is $160 -- That's $13.33 per month if you get a new one every year. And it'll probably last at least two years, as they are not DEEP uv. At two years it's less than $7 a month for the most insane pop, and coral growth you can buy.

It's always more complicated than a simple yes or no. Stupid hobby lol

I read your discussion with interest. I'm also interested in the ophek or bars. my tank measures 120x60x60 (cm) and is illuminated by two blue-ray gnc (italian led light).
https://www.gncitalia.it/bluray-english

I would like to add a led bar to increase the fluorescence in the reef tank and make the light more pop. according to you which model should I buy Sky blue or violet and what length? or customize a bar by inserting blue and actinic LEDs? furthermore, at what height do they mount the water from the surface so as not to damage sps corals?
This is my reef
24954832d32cd39bbeb5abbc532be92d.jpg
 
Last edited:
I borrowed a UV strip light from a buddy who got it from a major light manufacturer. True UV diodes, sub 400 nanometers... Not like Radion or Kessil dubbed UV which is above 400nm... That's really more violet. The look it had was very much different from your standard actinic lighting.

While most corals looked similar under regular actinics and the actinic strip with UV, there was one monti, the Cornbred Flaming Phoenix that had some amazing streaks under UV.

White light:
304d447276a2f717d226b66b0cf3601c.jpg


Regular actinics:


Actinics with true UV:



My jaw dropped! It blew my mind! [emoji50]

Is that a slow burn monti?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top