FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

I read your discussion with interest. I'm also interested in the ophek or bars. my tank measures 120x60x60 (cm) and is illuminated by two blue-ray gnc (italian led light).
https://www.gncitalia.it/bluray-english

I would like to add a led bar to increase the fluorescence in the reef tank and make the light more pop. according to you which model should I buy Sky blue or violet and what length? or customize a bar by inserting blue and actinic LEDs? furthermore, at what height do they mount the water from the surface so as not to damage sps corals?
This is my reef
24954832d32cd39bbeb5abbc532be92d.jpg

That looks great, more natural colours in my opinion, each to their own, I like it as it is! ;)
 
I read your discussion with interest. I'm also interested in the ophek or bars. my tank measures 120x60x60 (cm) and is illuminated by two blue-ray gnc (italian led light).
https://www.gncitalia.it/bluray-english

I would like to add a led bar to increase the fluorescence in the reef tank and make the light more pop. according to you which model should I buy Sky blue or violet and what length? or customize a bar by inserting blue and actinic LEDs? furthermore, at what height do they mount the water from the surface so as not to damage sps corals?

Okay, so here's the deal -- The UV/Violet spectrum is what makes corals truly pop. The lower you go in spectrum, the more it pops. Royal Blue makes corals pop because it's lower on the spectrum, but as you go lower, it pops even more.

So the "Cyan/Sky Blue" is Orphek's verion of a Reef Brite. The spectrum is similar, but a little more wide, and more pleasing to the eye (Cyan). The UV/Violet is what you want for pop exclusively.

The problem with UV/Violet is it's extremely dim to our eyes. We can barely see it... So you won't even be able to tell when it's on, but you SHOULD notice your corals pop more.

Your tank is 47" -- So I would suggest the 48" orphek bar.

Please note, I asked @FarmerTy about the orphek bar because I have zero experience with the Orphek, and information is so far, scarce. It's a new product and not many people have picked it up yet, due to the cult of ReefBrite. So all I can do is give you my anecdotal opinion.

The Orphek forum has pictures and video of a few tanks with each type of the LED bars, so you can see how they look and how they work with one another.
 
Okay, so here's the deal -- The UV/Violet spectrum is what makes corals truly pop. The lower you go in spectrum, the more it pops. Royal Blue makes corals pop because it's lower on the spectrum, but as you go lower, it pops even more.

So the "Cyan/Sky Blue" is Orphek's verion of a Reef Brite. The spectrum is similar, but a little more wide, and more pleasing to the eye (Cyan). The UV/Violet is what you want for pop exclusively.

The problem with UV/Violet is it's extremely dim to our eyes. We can barely see it... So you won't even be able to tell when it's on, but you SHOULD notice your corals pop more.

Your tank is 47" -- So I would suggest the 48" orphek bar.

Please note, I asked @FarmerTy about the orphek bar because I have zero experience with the Orphek, and information is so far, scarce. It's a new product and not many people have picked it up yet, due to the cult of ReefBrite. So all I can do is give you my anecdotal opinion.

The Orphek forum has pictures and video of a few tanks with each type of the LED bars, so you can see how they look and how they work with one another.

Thanks a lot for the answer. even these gnc italy bars seem valid; what do you think of the technical data sheet?

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d83cb0_1b973a2f347b486890240809879269ba.pdf
 
Hey Sawdonkey! Good to see you around! How's the rebuild going?

Thank you sir!

Good to be back. Rebuild is good. Hardware is in place and I’ve corrected quite a few things I hated about my last build (using Orphek V4 lights, no corner overflows, smaller sump, reworked my stand, electric cabinet,etc). Now I’m going to let it run for a bit and stabilize....then add coral and Fish.

Glad to see your tank doing so well!
 
Good to be back. Rebuild is good. Hardware is in place and I’ve corrected quite a few things I hated about my last build (using Orphek V4 lights, no corner overflows, smaller sump, reworked my stand, electric cabinet,etc). Now I’m going to let it run for a bit and stabilize....then add coral and Fish.

Glad to see your tank doing so well!
Oh sweet! Nice! Perfectly timed with our discussion as we've been talking about the Orphek V4s in the last couple of pages. How are you liking the lights? Seeing as how you used the OR too.
 
Oh sweet! Nice! Perfectly timed with our discussion as we've been talking about the Orphek V4s in the last couple of pages. How are you liking the lights? Seeing as how you used the OR too.

I love the look, the spread, the controllability, and the customer service has blown my sox off.

I been following your discussion about UV. I believe the V4 has some 380 nm diodes. When the light is at full power, these look like they aren’t even lit up....which is expected. The violet/UV channel is pretty crazy looking. Add a little blue and it really pops. No idea how these will perform since I don’t really have corals yet.
 
I love the look, the spread, the controllability, and the customer service has blown my sox off.

I been following your discussion about UV. I believe the V4 has some 380 nm diodes. When the light is at full power, these look like they aren’t even lit up....which is expected. The violet/UV channel is pretty crazy looking. Add a little blue and it really pops. No idea how these will perform since I don’t really have corals yet.
Thanks for the feedback Sawdonkey. I'll be excited to see when you get corals in the tank and how they look/like the Orpheks. From reputation, I think its going to be a hit!
 
Should be fine. The Orphek bars are 410nm and 430nm -- The one you linked says it's 405nm so it should be pretty comparable assuming the wattage is about the same. The 48" Orphek is 110 watts.

in this 120 cm bar, however, there are 105 royal blue 458nm LEDs and 42 405nm UV LEDs for a total of 60 watts per bar; so in this case the uv effect is less marked ...
 
in this 120 cm bar, however, there are 105 royal blue 458nm LEDs and 42 405nm UV LEDs for a total of 60 watts per bar; so in this case the uv effect is less marked ...

Oh I thought they were two separate bars -- In that case, I would go for the Orphek.
 
if I can say mine, I've never seen beautiful tubs mount orphek for more than a year ... will it be a coincidence?
 
@FarmerTy or @Rakie I went back the past few pages but didn't see it. Do any of you have the link to the orphek led bar you were talking about?
 
Yeah, it definitely seems like a quality light for the price... The 24" model is 55w and $120. For a hair more than a single AI prime you can get 110w of LED power and two strips. They also come with mounting brackets and wire hanging kit.

My only qualm with them is they seem too good to be true lol. Hence my hoping for a review from @FarmerTy
 
Yeah, it definitely seems like a quality light for the price... The 24" model is 55w and $120. For a hair more than a single AI prime you can get 110w of LED power and two strips. They also come with mounting brackets and wire hanging kit.

My only qualm with them is they seem too good to be true lol. Hence my hoping for a review from @FarmerTy
I just bought an alkatronic so somebody else is up before me. Unless someone wants to send me one to demo. [emoji51]
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top