FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

I can relate to keeping it that way. Spend an hour per day with three tanks assuring all levels and feeding is correct.
3 tanks! Wow! That's like having 3 kids! Kudos!
 
Have you used your alkatronic to monitor dips in alk during the day?
I did but when I first got it, tank was not all at full stream ahead. It's there now so I'll aim to maybe run a 24hr test again to track the uptake throughout the day.
 
3 tanks! Wow! That's like having 3 kids! Kudos!
I had 4 and sold my Elos cube last week BUT........ I have a new Drop off tank on the way to me to arrive Thursday and i'll be back to 4 tanks

image_large
 
I had 4 and sold my Elos cube last week BUT........ I have a new Drop off tank on the way to me to arrive Thursday and i'll be back to 4 tanks

image_large
That's pretty sweet! Like a mini drop off!
 
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I've met so many people that say they lurk my thread. It's okay to post! I don't bite... Much! [emoji16]
;Joyful That was the most productive thing I could think to post. The alternative was begging for you to make my tank as successful as yours ;Drool also for money and free frags ;Playful
 
;Joyful That was the most productive thing I could think to post. The alternative was begging for you to make my tank as successful as yours ;Drool also for money and free frags ;Playful
Haha, its all patience and having a system. With acros, they reward you in the long run. Took 1.5 years but its finally getting there. But its the same system that has worked for me in two previous tanks:

-Large water volume
-lots of fish
-feed like crazy
-skimmer rated 2x full system volume
-calcium reactor
-gfo reactor
-biopellet reactor
-carbon reactor

That's it. Do some water changes in the beginning until things stabilize and then slowly do less until your tank is so stable you can stop.

Like all tanks, it'll go through the ugly phases of cyano, diatoms, maybe dinos, maybe GHA... but then it'll make it through all those and you'll be in the clear!
 
Haha, its all patience and having a system. With acros, they reward you in the long run. Took 1.5 years but its finally getting there. But its the same system that has worked for me in two previous tanks:

-Large water volume
-lots of fish
-feed like crazy
-skimmer rated 2x full system volume
-calcium reactor
-gfo reactor
-biopellet reactor
-carbon reactor

That's it. Do some water changes in the beginning until things stabilize and then slowly do less until your tank is so stable you can stop.

Like all tanks, it'll go through the ugly phases of cyano, diatoms, maybe dinos, maybe GHA... but then it'll make it through all those and you'll be in the clear!
Couldn't you achieve the same thing without the GFO and biopellet but feeding slightly less? Correct my noobness but GFO reduces phosphates and Biopellets reduces nitrates? But then you feed super heavy. Overall the most frustrating thing about this hobby is we can both set up identical tanks in the same room and have different experiences. I'm attempting the KISS method after burning a few thousand dollar bills for research purposes ;Playful
 
Couldn't you achieve the same thing without the GFO and biopellet but feeding slightly less? Correct my noobness but GFO reduces phosphates and Biopellets reduces nitrates? But then you feed super heavy. Overall the most frustrating thing about this hobby is we can both set up identical tanks in the same room and have different experiences. I'm attempting the KISS method after burning a few thousand dollar bills for research purposes ;Playful
I think feeding heavily is critical. You will see corals grow faster, fish healthier, and overall better balance to our mini ecosystems with heavier feeding... Granted it is balanced with aggressive removal to counter rising nitrate and phosphate levels.

I try to mimic natural reefs as best as possible. There is a ton of food-laden water that hits the reef nightly but just as quickly, it is flushed away and nice, clean water replaces it.
 
I think feeding heavily is critical. You will see corals grow faster, fish healthier, and overall better balance to our mini ecosystems with heavier feeding... Granted it is balanced with aggressive removal to counter rising nitrate and phosphate levels.

I try to mimic natural reefs as best as possible. There is a ton of food-laden water that hits the reef nightly but just as quickly, it is flushed away and nice, clean water replaces it.
Primarily feeding frozen? Pellets? I got lazy during the summer and was feeding pellets twice daily, test numbers went up and tank didn't look great.
 
Primarily feeding frozen? Pellets? I got lazy during the summer and was feeding pellets twice daily, test numbers went up and tank didn't look great.
Both!

I feed pellets 3x/day with an autofeeder and frozen 1-2x a day in the quantity seen in this video.

 
Are you still doing no water changes besides that rodi mishap?
Yes sir! I'm awaiting an ICP test to see if I'm in the clear yet after the mishap. Oddly, my iodine level shot way up during the mishap. If its back to normal, I'll leave it be. If the iodine level is still elevated, I'll do some water changes to dilute it.
 
Both!

I feed pellets 3x/day with an autofeeder and frozen 1-2x a day in the quantity seen in this video.

haha yea this is the video I thought you had two powder blues :rolleyes:

Maybe I will have better luck once I upgrade from my 120 to 230. Love the wrasses. Are those a male/female pair flame wrasses? I love me some wrasse I must say. ;)
 
haha yea this is the video I thought you had two powder blues :rolleyes:

Maybe I will have better luck once I upgrade from my 120 to 230. Love the wrasses. Are those a male/female pair flame wrasses? I love me some wrasse I must say. ;)
Yeah, but the female went male... And then the super male decided he'd rather be a crispy wrasse chip then a living fish any more.
 
Yeah, but the female went male... And then the super male decided he'd rather be a crispy wrasse chip then a living fish any more.
Yea that's the risk all the wrasse police will tell ya. I'm to the point now where all the new fish I want are $250+, mostly wrasses. My favorite being my leopard, gives me anxiety thinking about moving her to the new tank ;Nailbiting Anyways, enjoy your night, I'm off to bed and back to the shadows I go ;Lurking
 
Hello all,

Longtime cruiser of the club, first-time build thread poster.

I'm not going to bore you with details of when my passion for the hobby began and my first fish tank... yada yada yada.

I know what everyone came for... pics and videos! Please be patient with me as I figure out how to post videos and pics on this forum. I got it down pat on my local forum so forgive the missteps while navigating the learning curve.

Shot these last night, enjoy!

Beautiful color contrast with the corals, stunning
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top