Filter floss stealing my spare coral cash

Cliff717

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
198
Reaction score
217
Location
Ontario canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys so I have a MRC 75 gallon sump
It's a beautiful sump and I love it the only issue I have is it is designed to use filter floss instead of filter socks. For quite a while I ran it with nothing but I found my nitrates were hard to control I had to DOS 150 mill a day of vinegar to keep my nitrate down. So I started putting the filter floss back in and it has been working great. I have reduced vinnigar to 80 mill a day and n03 is steady at 5. The problem is that I have to change a 24 x 24" pad of filter floss every three days! This is getting very expensive. So I was thinking of putting in a course plastic mesh pre-filter that I could rinse out. http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Lifegard-Aquatics-Aquamesh-Green-Filter-Pad-19-x-12.html
What do you think would that work? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
 
What floss are you using currently?

I buy the blue and white in bulk and it's $5 for 4'x4'.

Yea that one will work. It's not a fine as the floss so I won't strain as much. It may or may not be a big deal.
 
I am from Canada so unfortunately we don't get those awesome deals up here LOL I am buying a 24" x 120" roll for $20
So I'm spending at least $40 a month on filter floss maybe that's not too crazy?
There is room in the sump chambers for two layers. I was thinking of putting that green plastic mesh layer first and filter floss behind it. Maybe it would extend the life of the filter floss before it gets clogged?
 
I think you'll still wind up changing it. I would even consider running two of the green pads instead.
 
Are the nitrate numbers you were seeing without really a problem?

If so, what's behind that? It's probably fixable in a cheaper manner.

There's un unjustifiable focus on zero nitrates in most tanks....is that fueling any of this concern?

Spending money to remove nutrients that you purposefully put into the tank is a little less than optimal in my book. :) :) :)

If you're solving a problem at all, I would say with the present solution you're solving the wrong problem. Don't look at it as "too much food" – it's "not enough mouths". Don't look at it as excess N – it's likely just to be deficient P.

Can you post some more details like N and P test results and more info behind why this was considered a problem?
 
So while I was using no filter mechanism at all I was running about 15 n03 and my p04 was at .1 I was keeping them there by dosing a massive amount of vinegar every day. The problem I was having with this was that I was getting bacterial chunks in many low flow areas . This was annoying the crap out of me. When I started doing mechanical filtration I was able to drastically cut back my carbon dosing. Now I m sitting. At 5 no3 and .05 p04
 
Last edited:
I would stop with the filter pads AND stop with the carbon dosing.
 
Not sure about in Canada, but I buy Morning Glory poly fill from Walmart. Costs $6 for a huge roll. Lots of reefers use it. Make sure whatever kind you go with it isn't treated with flame retardant. It should say on the package. I love filter floss. It's my only export apart from water changes on my nano. No cleaning like filter socks. I just replace it every few days. It's so cheap that it's no big deal to do often.
 
Wow that sounds good I will have to look into that thanks
Bonus: if my visa doesn't keep showing fish store purchases. Maybe the wife will think that she bought the stuff from Walmart (not knowing it was stuff for my tank) and it might slip under the radar lol
 
You could get a filter sock holder and potentially run those to some effect if the floss gets to be too much? do you have a picture of the area where the floss would go?
 
Coffee strainer for you sir...

WPDrawing2017-23-03_07_23_16.jpg
 
OK guys so I have a MRC 75 gallon sump
It's a beautiful sump and I love it the only issue I have is it is designed to use filter floss instead of filter socks. For quite a while I ran it with nothing but I found my nitrates were hard to control I had to DOS 150 mill a day of vinegar to keep my nitrate down. So I started putting the filter floss back in and it has been working great. I have reduced vinnigar to 80 mill a day and n03 is steady at 5. The problem is that I have to change a 24 x 24" pad of filter floss every three days! This is getting very expensive. So I was thinking of putting in a course plastic mesh pre-filter that I could rinse out. http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Lifegard-Aquatics-Aquamesh-Green-Filter-Pad-19-x-12.html
What do you think would that work? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Very easy to install gravity feed double 4” filter socks. Brs make a kit. When they get full of detritus, and start overflowing, usually a day for me, I have an old salt bucket I throw them into with RO/DI water. When I have usually a weeks worth(Sunday is maint day) I turn them all inside out, and wash them with a cup of bleach only in the washing machine Make sure you rinse and drain the washer before you wash the socks. They come out awesomely clean and hang them to dry. Re-use as needed. I still dose 3-4 mil of vodka a day on a 110 day and 55 sump. Phosphates are undetectable and nitrates are are always less than 5. I have a heavy bio loaded mixed coral and utility fish tank. The best nitrate lowering thing I did was my clean up crew. They convert much of the bad stuff and I skim it out, the vodka is just a kicker. Good luck!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top