Fotocha's BBB (Budget Breeder Build) 40 Gallon

The Skimmer area measures 8.5" x 12" , Fuge 8.5" x 12" and Pump area 5" x 12"
 
I heard good about the Fuji Baffle kits.

I was really impressed it came with everything that I could want... I looked a few other companies, but this was most responsibly priced and had the most features.

It is a great option over a $250-300 sump

I figured a 20L would be pretty universal but it seems they have 2 models for the 20L an Aquarion and Marineland versions, I'm guessing it has something to do with the frame or perhaps the amount of silicone the bottom has :)
 
Well here it is 12hrs later. It's far from perfect. It could have been cleaner (See explanation below)
IMG_3987.JPG


I wanted to use this opportunity to tell you what I would and wouldn't do again. But I'll walk you through what I did...

IMG_2496.JPG


This is the first chamber and I'm so glad I didn't buy the silicone in the large tube, instead I bought

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Aqueon-...rium+silicon&qid=1554815107&s=gateway&sr=8-13

I tried to stick my hand and the tube in a very tight fitting area. I later learned it was way easier just to pour silicone on my left gloved (use them, its worth it) hand and use my other hand to work in the silicone with my right gloved index finger. I went through my 20 pairs of gloves on this project lol
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The top lid was nice but the proximity to the edge made it tricky.

IMG_6047.JPG


I'm going to need to do a small touch up here. I don't think I sealed it completely. It was dry enough to show the lid in detail so here goes...

IMG_3034.JPG


As far as the inside, again using my left hand like a painters Palette, I slid my hand into the holes and applied the silicone.

IMG_8294.JPG
 
Came out really good. I did mine too, cutting the Plexiglass myself and is hard to not make a little mess with the silicone. Once you do the final test with water and works that what's matters.
 
The media baskets was by far the most frustrating part of this project. Trying to hold 4 pieces together without it slipping was a pain. If I did it again I would have made a jig out of a couple pieces of wood and framed one panel at least before trying to silicone it in.

Here is the mess I made lol, will it work ... yes. Is it straight yes only on the side that was facing me at the time. lol

Pro tip: Make sure you have good lighting.... also make sure the bottom of the tube you're using didn't explode a HALF TUBE of silicone on the bottom of the aquarium and you didn't notice until 30 mins later lol

Btw, the tape was basically pointless, it got in my way more than provided a benefit. I imagine some might still prefer using it but I wouldn't again, other than just to hold the top in. I would also recommend a 2nd set of hands.

IMG_0991.JPG


Finally, I added the adjustable baffle part, here is a look.

IMG_0043.JPG


IMG_1099.JPG
 
So, from here. This evening I'm going to buy a razor scraper (something that would have been good to have on hand in the first place before starting this) and try to "clean it up" a bit. The 2nd silicone tube exploded, so I had to get a 3rd tube to do the "touch ups".

Wed 4/10, I'll hopefully be receiving my Dry rock, Sand, and Reef glue.
 
Last edited:
Came out really good. I did mine too, cutting the Plexiglass myself and is hard to not make a little mess with the silicone. Once you do the final test with water and works that what's matters.

Yeah, not a fan of silicone either. Doesn't go on with the same ease as regular caulking on surfaces. The clean up is the issue.

Thank you, for the support and encouragement :D;)
 
Yeah, I was using tape to have a clean silicone look at the beginning but didn't see any good results an make a little mess on my first baffle and then didn't use it for the rest of the baffles. On my new 75g project I was thinking to buy a custom sump but is way too expensive so I may just do some upgrades on the one I made and keep it simple.

You're doing a great job on your sump. Just give some time to cure before the water test.
 
Yeah, I was using tape to have a clean silicone look at the beginning but didn't see any good results an make a little mess on my first baffle and then didn't use it for the rest of the baffles. On my new 75g project I was thinking to buy a custom sump but is way too expensive so I may just do some upgrades on the one I made and keep it simple.

You're doing a great job on your sump. Just give some time to cure before the water test.

I figured giving it 24hrs. Did you let it cure longer before a water test?

I was hoping I’d have time to scape and finish this to start filling the tank Friday (I wanted to apply a bit more into some of the seems)
 
I figured giving it 24hrs. Did you let it cure longer before a water test?

I was hoping I’d have time to scape and finish this to start filling the tank Friday

I give 24hrs to mine and was good. My suggestion is to fill each bay at a time to looks for leaking. Then, you connect your return pump with a hose back into the first chamber to see how's perform. Something extra that I did to see the water volume of the sump is after the test I siphon that water into a 5 gallon bucket to see how many gallons of water my sump is holding total. Example, My sump is a 30 gallons but with water at level I have 15 gallons on it.
 
I give 24hrs to mine and was good. My suggestion is to fill each bay at a time to looks for leaking. Then, you connect your return pump with a hose back into the first chamber to see how's perform. Something extra that I did to see the water volume of the sump is after the test I siphon that water into a 5 gallon bucket to see how many gallons of water my sump is holding total. Example, My sump is a 30 gallons but with water at level I have 15 gallons on it.

Great! I was planning to do something like that. I figure I’d fill the display first and then gradually fill the sump with RODI batches. I only have 29 gallons (20 salt + rodi 9) lol so I figure 3-4 days of making water
 
Great! I was planning to do something like that. I figure I’d fill the display first and then gradually fill the sump with RODI batches. I only have 29 gallons (20 salt + rodi 9) lol so I figure 3-4 days of making water

I bought the water from my LFS at first and fill the DT and Sump at the same time to where I have set the sump return level without running the return pump.
 
It's alive ;Troll lol
nsmt-young_frankenstein-life.jpg


Well after repeated steps to stop the leaking from the sump baffles I finally got it right! It's still a little unsettling, like the bottom is going to drop out and im going to have 50-60 gallons on the floor the next morning :confused:

I'm going to do a water change to my other tank and put in the dirty water into this tank to help along the cycling. I'm also going to take some of the week old filter floss and drop it into one of the socks. Sadly I ran out of RODI water so I need to make some and I need to still need to; calibrate the heater and determine the water level I want to keep.

Out of curiosity does anyone think the water level should be above or below the center baffle?????

IMG_4548.jpeg
IMG_4549.jpeg
IMG_4550.jpeg
 
I decided since, I would be doing a fairly quick cycle (Seed, Rocks from other aquarium in the sump, and the addition of Chaeto) I would starting early. Crosses fingers.

I picked up a 100wt grow light from amazon and it came with hanging kit and its even water proof. Thoughts? $30

I have it plugged in to a smart plug with the timers set from 10pm - 10am

I tore up the rock work and redid it. idle hands :D

IMG_4570.jpeg
IMG_4569.jpeg
IMG_4568.jpeg
 
I'm using the same light in my fuge, it works great. You may have to wait on the chaeto though. I find its hard to grow without fish and a finished cycle. Usually ends up as mush. Cycle really shouldn't be rushed, its an important part of starting the tank.

I do like the new aquascape better though.
 
I'm using the same light in my fuge, it works great. You may have to wait on the chaeto though. I find its hard to grow without fish and a finished cycle. Usually ends up as mush. Cycle really shouldn't be rushed, its an important part of starting the tank.

I do like the new aquascape better though.

Normally I would wait the full 6 weeks. I'm testing 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrites, <20ppm nitrates. Already getting a white film growing and since I'm using about 10lbs of live rock from an already established system. My anemones are not moving over, and other than a pair of clowns and the super small CUC from the evo that's about it for livestock. On a plus side I have a small amount of pods that have migrated into the new system

Frankly, it's more of the issue the other tank needs to get broken down ASAP.
 
Well T5 fixture came and, livestock has been transferred. Also picked up a Goni, torch and fava.
7DCE9996-EB11-4893-8DE8-285445CA2768.jpeg
F017287B-B6A1-464E-8F31-4C8286FD0E7D.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top