Glass cleaning equipment - What do you use or recommend?

TinCanHero

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2019
Messages
214
Reaction score
203
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a decent glass cleaner. In the past ive used many brands of magnet cleaners on my FW tanks over the years and i always seem to cause scratches no matter how careful i go so i stopped using them.
Now i'm in the SW game, glass cleaning is a much bigger deal and problem so i'm back looking for a good product. I got a Mag Float Mag-Clean from a friend who was quitting the hobby a few months ago - ended up scratching my FW tank on day 1 with it so i haven't used it since. I also got a Flipper nano about 2 weeks ago second hand. I was under the impression it was a great brand and product, but after using it a few time i kind of find its awful compared to its rep, the magnet is not very powerful so i find i drop it in the tank easily if i move a bit to quick. I also find the blade side quite ineffective, the blade itself can bow so i only get a small area or partial area scrapped and its very slow because of this, i also expect when i start getting coralline algae the magnet will be to weak. the pad side is okey, but due to the magnet being week it takes a bit of elbow grease. overall im really dissapointed in the flipper nano's performance, im using the pad side with my magfloat on the outside for a stronger magnet atm, but id like to get something new and better. Any thoughts or suggestions? A razor blade sounds good atm apart from it needing my hand & arm in the tank which im trying to avoid.

-- Edit, id like to say, im tempted by the Flipper or Flipper max as they are a stronger magnet, however id need a little convincing on the quality - especially the blade due to bowing.

Kind regards & happy reefing, TinCanHero.
 
Last edited:
I have a Tunze Care Magnet and it is the best cleaner I've ever used. Very dificult (if not impossible) to scratch the glass...

Not sure if I can post this video (admin/mod please delete if I cannot)...
 
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a decent glass cleaner. In the past ive used many brands of magnet cleaners on my FW tanks over the years and i always seem to cause scratches no matter how careful i go so i stopped using them.
Now i'm in the SW game, glass cleaning is a much bigger deal and problem so i'm back looking for a good product. I got a Mag Float Mag-Clean from a friend who was quitting the hobby a few months ago - ended up scratching my FW tank on day 1 with it so i haven't used it since. I also got a Flipper nano about 2 weeks ago second hand. I was under the impression it was a great brand and product, but after using it a few time i kind of find its awful compared to its rep, the magnet is not very powerful so i find i drop it in the tank easily if i move a bit to quick. I also find the blade side quite ineffective, the blade itself can bow so i only get a small area or partial area scrapped and its very slow because of this, i also expect when i start getting coralline algae the magnet will be to weak. the pad side is okey, but due to the magnet being week it takes a bit of elbow grease. overall im really dissapointed in the flipper nano's performance, im using the pad side with my magfloat on the outside for a stronger magnet atm, but id like to get something new and better. Any thoughts or suggestions? A razor blade sounds good atm apart from it needing my hand & arm in the tank which im trying to avoid.

-- Edit, id like to say, im tempted by the Flipper or Flipper max as they are a stronger magnet, however id need a little convincing on the quality - especially the blade due to bowing.

Kind regards & happy reefing, TinCanHero.
I’ve got the flipper Max and the magnet is very strong, as in don’t trap your fingers strong!

It’s very easy to use once you get the hang of it
 
I started with the magfloat and did not find it very functional on coraline once it started to grow.

The flipper has done it all, since buying it I’ve picked up a second one for my office nano since it was so good.

My LFS uses the flipper max on their display Red Sea tank.
 
I have tunze magnet XL for the thickest glass and I just love it the best I think the only thing is it does not float
 
I use a hammerhead float plus on the main. Worth every penny to me and a magfloat nano with the hammerhead dry party for curved corners and tight spots and my fat left hand for whatever those won't get.

I also have Hawaiian black which is magnetic, so care is needed for disturbing the substrate.
 
I use a cheap Aqueon glass magnetic cleaner, works really good. I use my finger to clean the silicone seams and glass near the shallow sand bed.
 
I have tunze magnet XL for the thickest glass and I just love it the best I think the only thing is it does not float

I have a Tunze Long which my LFS recommended on my Reefer 250 and absolutely love it. I totally agree with your comment about the fact it doesn't float. When it does separate and falls to the sand I am able to establish contact with the outside magnet which is extremely strong and reattach it most of the time without putting my arm in the water..
 
I use a cheap Aqueon glass magnetic cleaner, works really good. I use my finger to clean the silicone seams and glass near the shallow sand bed.

For the seams I use a toothbrush which also comes in handy to clean algae buildup on my Nero 5.
 
I have a flipper, a tunze nano for close to the sand bed and a white handled plastic scraper for the back glass. The scraper says CA on it and I think I got it from reefcleaners.
 
I have an algea free hammerhead with the detachable blade. I can't praise it or the company enough. Their customer service is above and beyond.
 
I use a medium magfloat for my biocube 32. The front glass seems to have a slight bow, and the corners are rounded, so I put a 1/4 inch thick piece of filter sponge on top of the cleaning side as a squishy pad to clean the rounded areas. Works great. I also put one of those soft lens cleaning cloths (like for sunglasses) between the outside glass and the outside magnet. Get a nice polish on the outside that way.

Then I have a long handled Aqua Blade scraper to get at and beneath the sand.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top