Glass cleaning equipment - What do you use or recommend?

For those of you with a Tunze, would you recommend a long or strong for a 180 with 1/2” (I believe) thick glass? This is the listed upper limit for the long. I don’t want it falling off easily, but I don’t want it so strong that it is hard to move.
 
For those of you with a Tunze, would you recommend a long or strong for a 180 with 1/2” (I believe) thick glass? This is the listed upper limit for the long. I don’t want it falling off easily, but I don’t want it so strong that it is hard to move.

My aquarium has 1/2” glass and I have the long which I use with no issues at all, i.e. it doesn't fall easily.
 
Tunze care magnet by far. Gets into tight areas and right to the bottom of sand bed unlike most magnets and easy to clean
 
I have the Tunze, it works well

I did scratch the glass with it though so be careful when close to the sand bed
 
I use a hammerhead float plus on the main. Worth every penny to me and a magfloat nano with the hammerhead dry party for curved corners and tight spots and my fat left hand for whatever those won't get.

I also have Hawaiian black which is magnetic, so care is needed for disturbing the substrate.
+1 on this brand. Liked it so much, I’ve purchased a just in case replacement and replacement pads.
 
Bought one based on your feedback...happy to say it does work great on my 1/2” glass! And I was about to spend a lot more on the strong!

Very happy to have helped!!

Cheers and if in the future I can help, I will...
 
Flipper in my 40 cube love it just don’t flip it around the top magnet is strong and will splash water all over ...(happens all the time to me)
 
Bought one based on your feedback...happy to say it does work great on my 1/2” glass! And I was about to spend a lot more on the strong!


Watch the video that JFD posted and near the end you will see the trick where you can move the Tunze from one glass wall to another without having to remove the scraper from the tank which I think is a cool feature. :cool:
As mentioned the only drawback is that it doesn't float if the 2 parts are separated. Otherwise it is a great scraper and I would give it a 9.5 rating out of a possible 10.
 
Flipper and the scrubber sponge that seachem has in 3 packs for a good WC day scrubbing
IMG_3184.JPG
 
Watch the video that JFD posted and near the end you will see the trick where you can move the Tunze from one glass wall to another without having to remove the scraper from the tank which I think is a cool feature. :cool:
As mentioned the only drawback is that it doesn't float if the 2 parts are separated. Otherwise it is a great scraper and I would give it a 9.5 rating out of a possible 10.

I agree with the high rating! But in my case, the tank is in the wall such that the front and back are viewable from either side, but the ends are not. So no need (or ability) to move the scraper around the corners. But this does mean I will need to buy another Tunze Long for the other glass panel. So JFD actually saved me twice the money!
 
I have a Tunze Care Magnet and it is the best cleaner I've ever used. Very dificult (if not impossible) to scratch the glass...

Not sure if I can post this video (admin/mod please delete if I cannot)...
Hi,
I’m a bit unclear. Does the tunze long use a metal blade or a plastic type blade to clean the glass? I have a 55 gallon and also will the tunze work in my tank?
 
I think i forgot i even posted this!! :/

Hopefully this is not obvious. How do you clean the back of your tank? M looking at the Tunze long, but not sure about the back pane.

I ended up with a standard flipper and it works like a charm!! for the overflow i use a 2ft pole that has attachments for cleaning (metal scraper, plastic one, pad & sand scoop. it works really well!
 
Hi,
I’m a bit unclear. Does the tunze long use a metal blade or a plastic type blade to clean the glass? I have a 55 gallon and also will the tunze work in my tank?
The Tunze comes with plastic blades. They handle most cleaning duty. Sometimes you may get more stubborn algae. For this you can purchase metal blades. I have an in-wall 180g that can be viewed from both sides (but not the ends). I have one Tunze scraper on each side. Very happy with them.
 
I had a Tunze and as much as I liked the glass cleaning aspect I hated that if it came loose it dropped like a rock to the bottom and a pain to get out.

I switched to the flipper and absolutely love it!
 
I used mag floats in the past. Been using the Tunze for the past year and a half and now have no reason to try anything else
 
I had a Tunze and as much as I liked the glass cleaning aspect I hated that if it came loose it dropped like a rock to the bottom and a pain to get out.

I switched to the flipper and absolutely love it!

That is the only negative for the Tunze, if it would float it would be a perfect 10!!!

Also I love the way you can move the Tunze from one side of the glass to another without reaching into the tank!
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top