Going Fallow.... (72 days of progress not punishment)

  • Thread starter Thread starter wom001
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hmmm, might need take a good look at them then, Id like something on the ground thats semi recognizable. Wonder how many small ones would be needed in a 30"x72" foot print with roughly 50% rock coverage.
 
TTM doesn't cover velvet, that's the only reason I do copper personally.

If you observe after TTM, you should catch velvet, but honestly by that point, its usually too late. Once you know velvet is in action, you need to ramp up copper quickly, which is rough on fish (although not as bad now with the Hanna checker).

You said above "2x rubbermaid bins, and a 150 to use for TTM / QT". The 150 wouldn't really make sense for TTM or QT (if you are medicating, since the cost to treat 150gallons would be crazy), as you need to fully break down, sanitize, and let completely dry every 72 hours. With your 4 fish load, I would follow @HotRocks's guide in a smaller or multiple tanks. 14 days of copper, swap to another tank to observe / treat for anything else that may arise in your fallow period.

Ahh alright, so its more of a covering the spread type deal. I could see the benefit of that and it would also make up for all the effort in doing waterchanges. I mentioned the 150 because I could partially fill it and create larger footprint to spread out aggression if i chose to stock up. Was also thinking an eggcrate style partition I could make to deal with any serious aggression.
 
My tank’s footprint is very similar. If I went with the smaller ones, I probably do 4-6 (so they don’t starve in a fairly clean sand bed).
 
It may be out there but I somehow got distracted and ended up just now on the tail end of a tang compatibility thread. But is that "my frozen mixture" recipe somewhere on here? Due to this whole ordeal Experience Im with you on the cross contamination issues. By the way hows your experience been with cultivating blackworms? I noticed the guy in Cali's is no longer shipping Blackworms and unfortunately I have a CBB on my stocking list so iv been trying to source them from somewhere else other than ebay.

My frozen mixture is:
All prepackaged frozen cubes or sheets
Mysis
Bit of LRS
Bloodworms
chopped clam
spirulina brine
baby brine
cyclops
krill
squid
emerald entree
etc.

Throw in a cup and microwave to thaw. Strain off liquid, add selcon, vitachem, zoecon (I just add one supplement per batch of food, and rotate them each time I make food) etc. Touch of garlic guard for enticing finicky eaters.
I usually make enough to feed for 10ish days. Then refrigerate half and freeze half. Use refrigerated half for up to 5 days and toss remainder. Then move frozen portion to fridge... Repeat.

Here is a video @4FordFamily made:
 
Wow, whats the name of that tang with the bright yellow tail, blue fins and lines with a semi orange body? Thanks for the recipe!
 
Wow, whats the name of that tang with the bright yellow tail, blue fins and lines with a semi orange body? Thanks for the recipe!
Where in the video is it?
 
At 2:15 its between the powder blue and sailfin and as the video plays it moves from the front the the back in like a prancing motion towards to flame angel which he was body checking earlier. I was thinking it's a twinspot but wanted to confirm.
 
There is a carribean blue. There is also a red Sea sohal.
 
You might be right on the Caribbean blue. Heres a pic of one i saw online that looks just like the one in the vid. The one in the vid had more solid blue dorsal and pelvic fins and was more orange brown in the body than yellow. Iv only seen them as a weird drab blue color at the LFS. It says this is juvenile coloring but i wonder how long they keep it.

1842714649.jpg
 
You might be right on the Caribbean blue. Heres a pic of one i saw online that looks just like the one in the vid. The one in the vid had more solid blue dorsal and pelvic fins and was more orange brown in the body than yellow. Iv only seen them as a weird drab blue color at the LFS. It says this is juvenile coloring but i wonder how long they keep it.

1842714649.jpg

Yes they transition to fully blue. I'm not sure on timeline. 4fordfamily would have to elaborate on that.
 
Whelllp i had a hope to not spend the $$ on a white tail but looks like its my BT choice right now.
 
So, slight hiccup. Was able to fish out the clowns with no problem and snagged the swallowtail when he was pigging out. But man that scopas tang got wise on me as soon as I scooped the clowns out. Rather than stress him out I'm letting him chill and I'll go back in with a stick and some clear tuppaware. Now to just snap some pictures and try to do a half decent writeup at the end of all this fun.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top