Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

@OrionN would you mind taking a look at my clam? Noticed this white spot tonight. It still retracts evenly to light changes. I think it might be PMD but I’m not sure. Any thoughts?
It appears to be something irritated the Maxima right there but does not appears to be PMD. Specifically the white part on that picture is not part of the clam IMO, nor it is the mucus produced by the clam.
Wait a few days, and make sure nothing is bother the clam and see how it response. Keep us update.
 
I have had a tridacna maxima for almost a year. Always healthy and fully open. It has white rims and consumes a lot of Mg so gives me the idea it was growing.

Suddenly it just closed. It has been like that for 10 days. It still barely moves when touched so I know is still alive and it is still attached to her rock.

I thought it was a shrimp that was recently added to the tank and removed the sob two days ago, but she still is not open. All parameters unchanged, nad I haven´t changed anything in the tank as to point as culrpit.

any ideas? I am desolated.
 
I have had a tridacna maxima for almost a year. Always healthy and fully open. It has white rims and consumes a lot of Mg so gives me the idea it was growing.

Suddenly it just closed. It has been like that for 10 days. It still barely moves when touched so I know is still alive and it is still attached to her rock.

I thought it was a shrimp that was recently added to the tank and removed the sob two days ago, but she still is not open. All parameters unchanged, nad I haven´t changed anything in the tank as to point as culrpit.

any ideas? I am desolated.
You did not give us any information other than the shrimp so we don’t have any information to heave you any opinion as to what is wrong.
 
You did not give us any information other than the shrimp so we don’t have any information to heave you any opinion as to what is wrong.
Alk: 7.8-8.2
Po4: 0.05
NO3: 2.5
pH: 8.5
Temp: 25C

Ligths: Kessil 360 (at 80%) and 4T5. Photoperiod of 12 hours, including ramp up and ramp down

Redseareefer 170 (circa 25g.)

Sump with chaeto in reverse

Cohabitants: Tomato percula, filefish,2 damsels,1 bicolo bleny, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 canary blenny, 1 pseudocromis
hemits and turbos,

Feed daily with frozen food: sea caviar, mysis, 50/50, etc.

dose daily: alk and Ca (randy formula) and magnesium
irregular water changes: say 3 times a month, 15% each time.

Had an pH spike couple of weeks ago and started dosing 10ml of vinegar, and it settled things. Nothing seemed distrubed.

The thing is that nothing (thatI can think of) changed as to get the clam to close, and she has been living in the tank for almost a year now.
 
Alk: 7.8-8.2
Po4: 0.05
NO3: 2.5
pH: 8.5
Temp: 25C

Ligths: Kessil 360 (at 80%) and 4T5. Photoperiod of 12 hours, including ramp up and ramp down

Redseareefer 170 (circa 25g.)

Sump with chaeto in reverse

Cohabitants: Tomato percula, filefish,2 damsels,1 bicolo bleny, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 canary blenny, 1 pseudocromis
hemits and turbos,

Feed daily with frozen food: sea caviar, mysis, 50/50, etc.

dose daily: alk and Ca (randy formula) and magnesium
irregular water changes: say 3 times a month, 15% each time.

Had an pH spike couple of weeks ago and started dosing 10ml of vinegar, and it settled things. Nothing seemed distrubed.

The thing is that nothing (thatI can think of) changed as to get the clam to close, and she has been living in the tank for almost a year now.
so after waiting 3 weeks to see if the clam reacts on herself, I gave her a freshwater dipp hopping to kill any external parasite. I watched carefully but nothing emerged from the clam, not remained in the water. Back in tank after 12 hours of the FWD and still closed.
 
so after waiting 3 weeks to see if the clam reacts on herself, I gave her a freshwater dipp hopping to kill any external parasite. I watched carefully but nothing emerged from the clam, not remained in the water. Back in tank after 12 hours of the FWD and still closed.
41A05F15-7413-4519-AAF3-349806F828E7.jpeg
This is being expeled by my clam. I ¡separated the clam with an intank breeding box, as now I believe that a bicolor bleny was the culprit of taking nibs of the clam a forcing her to be closed by three weeks by now.
 
41A05F15-7413-4519-AAF3-349806F828E7.jpeg
This is being expeled by my clam. I ¡separated the clam with an intank breeding box, as now I believe that a bicolor bleny was the culprit of taking nibs of the clam a forcing her to be closed by three weeks by now.
A625ACA3-E459-42EB-AA5B-38DF9CFCD03C.jpeg
FBA9AF2A-A485-4FDE-ADC1-C7E4799097A4.jpeg
FBA9AF2A-A485-4FDE-ADC1-C7E4799097A4.jpeg
A625ACA3-E459-42EB-AA5B-38DF9CFCD03C.jpeg
This is how it looks under the microscopes.
 
I’ve had this clam for about a month now and I noticed that it doesn’t extend as far as the others. Should I be concerned?
 

Attachments

  • CAF68DD5-885F-4A7F-BD14-E64194F46F34.jpeg
    CAF68DD5-885F-4A7F-BD14-E64194F46F34.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 87
Hello, I'm thinking about adding a clam to my tank. I'm use the Triton method, 100% exclusively. Recently received my ICP test and performed all of the recommended dosing. My dt is a 125 gallon with a trigger 44 sump. Have 3 Orphek Atlantik compact gen 4. My question is with my current livestock, is there a problem with my list that would prevent me going a head with getting a Maxima Clam?

Fish:
1- Melanurus Wrasse
1- Blueside Wrasse
1- Yellow Tang
1- Purple Tang
1- Tiger Watchman Goby
1- Yellow Clown Goby
1- Tailspot Blenny
1- Bi-color Blenny
1- Midas Blenny
1- Orange Spotted Blenny
1- Yellow Tail Damsel
1- Flame Hawkfish
3- Fire Firefish (1-red, 1-purple, & 1-helfrichi)

Inverts:
Shrimp
6- Sexy
1- Cleaner
2- Blood
2- Peppermint
1- Coral Banded
Urchin:
1- Tuxedo
1- Pincushion
Crabs:
2- Emerald
Couple- Hermit (blue leg)
1- Halloween
Assortment of Snail:
Nassarius, Astria, Zebra Turbo, Margarita, Trochus, Cerith & Ninja Star
Conch:
1- Fighting
2- Strawberry
Starfish:
1- Red Formica
1- Indo/Double Star
 

Attachments

  • 20210807_202120.jpg
    20210807_202120.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 90
Hello, I'm thinking about adding a clam to my tank. I'm use the Triton method, 100% exclusively. Recently received my ICP test and performed all of the recommended dosing. My dt is a 125 gallon with a trigger 44 sump. Have 3 Orphek Atlantik compact gen 4. My question is with my current livestock, is there a problem with my list that would prevent me going a head with getting a Maxima Clam?

Fish:
1- Melanurus Wrasse
1- Blueside Wrasse
1- Yellow Tang
1- Purple Tang
1- Tiger Watchman Goby
1- Yellow Clown Goby
1- Tailspot Blenny
1- Bi-color Blenny
1- Midas Blenny
1- Orange Spotted Blenny
1- Yellow Tail Damsel
1- Flame Hawkfish
3- Fire Firefish (1-red, 1-purple, & 1-helfrichi)

Inverts:
Shrimp
6- Sexy
1- Cleaner
2- Blood
2- Peppermint
1- Coral Banded
Urchin:
1- Tuxedo
1- Pincushion
Crabs:
2- Emerald
Couple- Hermit (blue leg)
1- Halloween
Assortment of Snail:
Nassarius, Astria, Zebra Turbo, Margarita, Trochus, Cerith & Ninja Star
Conch:
1- Fighting
2- Strawberry
Starfish:
1- Red Formica
1- Indo/Double Star
I purchased my Maxima Clam this weekend, he is about 4" long and as of now I set him on a scallop shell with a small piece of rock glued to the shell to prevent the shell from rocking, in a quarantine tank. Are there any red flags on my fish list. Would like to know if there are any fish I need to worry about prior to placing the clam into my
 

Attachments

  • 20210822_173105.jpg
    20210822_173105.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 90
Hello, fellows! My name is Alexandre, from Brazil, new to the forum!
Would you mind to help me to identify a clam species?
Thank’s in advance!
 

Attachments

  • DFB451D9-4119-4DE7-9265-82167A9F22B7.png
    DFB451D9-4119-4DE7-9265-82167A9F22B7.png
    791.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 090265EA-B312-4776-9BC3-2845C2B4463A.png
    090265EA-B312-4776-9BC3-2845C2B4463A.png
    773.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 553990B0-BAFB-40CD-97E0-17D63F609A28.png
    553990B0-BAFB-40CD-97E0-17D63F609A28.png
    699.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 29CF7A3B-7400-49BB-B57D-1F0E93282B91.png
    29CF7A3B-7400-49BB-B57D-1F0E93282B91.png
    745.7 KB · Views: 78
Anyone know if a cuban hogfish would be okay with a clam? I read they ate cuc but mine doesn't eat crabs just small snails. Wasn't interested in clams on the half shell. Not sure if it would bother a clam nipping at its mantle.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top