Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

That's a nice clam. I hope it recovered. It likely needed more light. If a clam isn't doing well, it is usually either pyramid snails, pinched mantel, not enough light, or adjusting poorly after being moved.

It was a beautiful clam, I tried giving it more light, unfortunately it never acclimated to the system.
 
Im reading Fatherrees new book and he mentions that wrasses with a few exceptions are a big NO with clams. The exceptions he mentions include fairies , flashers and the line wrasses. However it does not include any of the leopard Macropharyngodon wrasses. Should these really be classifies as incompatible? My leopard only picks pods. I also saw that my lfs has had his clam stock 3 months together witg a H Crysus
 
Im reading Fatherrees new book and he mentions that wrasses with a few exceptions are a big NO with clams. The exceptions he mentions include fairies , flashers and the line wrasses. However it does not include any of the leopard Macropharyngodon wrasses. Should these really be classifies as incompatible? My leopard only picks pods. I also saw that my lfs has had his clam stock 3 months together witg a H Crysus
I’m also curious about this as I have both my clams (T. deresa and T. maxima) in with a Macropharyngodon bipartitus and 3 Pseudocheilinops ataenia
 
No one know everything. I have the book but did not look at that part. My wrasses are OK with the clams.
many years ago, I had a H. chrysus with my clams. He was fine for a long time a one day he went crazy and took chunks off of my clams. I have to removed him in a hurry. With that experience I have not keep H. chrysus since. Still most will be fine. Leopards and the the Halichoeres along with the flasher and fairy are all fine. Too many people with good experiences with them together with clams.
 
No one know everything. I have the book but did not look at that part. My wrasses are OK with the clams.
many years ago, I had a H. chrysus with my clams. He was fine for a long time a one day he went crazy and took chunks off of my clams. I have to removed him in a hurry. With that experience I have not keep H. chrysus since. Still most will be fine. Leopards and the the Halichoeres along with the flasher and fairy are all fine. Too many people with good experiences with them together with clams.
Would a Pseudojuloides likely be good with clams as most in that genus are from slightly deeper waters than most clams.
 
I have not kept any of the Pencil wrasses. I think they are planktivoir, and eat out of the water column, and should be fine with clams.
 
I have not kept any of the Pencil wrasses. I think they are planktivoir, and eat out of the water column, and should be fine with clams.
I believe they’re much more like the Anampses and Macropharyngodon in which they feed from the microfauna in the rockwork. However I think you’re correct in they’ll be fine.
 
I am curious if anyone has expierience with Melanurus wrasse or Naoko's Fairy Wrasse or Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse with clams? I have a 120 G mixed reef.
My Naokoae didn’t care about a 1.5-2” long Deresa in the tank. And none of my 4 wrasses in my 3’ tank (Macropharyngodon & Pseudocheilinops) care about my deresa or maxima.

Generally, I would only be worried about a Melanurus if any of those guys were to nip at the clams however I’ve found that Tridacnids are clams that aren’t often nipped.
 
Any recommendations for herbivorous fish that can go in my 75g together with a one spot foxface, a tomini tang and a maxima clam? My initial thoughts were a algae blenny but i have heard that they are likely to nip at the clam (more so than the foxface and tang). I already have 3 tuxes so im not sure i should get more of those.
 
Any recommendations for herbivorous fish that can go in my 75g together with a one spot foxface, a tomini tang and a maxima clam? My initial thoughts were a algae blenny but i have heard that they are likely to nip at the clam (more so than the foxface and tang). I already have 3 tuxes so im not sure i should get more of those.
I would go with a small zebrasoma species. I would feel fine with a yellow, scopas or purple in a 75 gallon with a calm.
 
Foxface and Tomini tang is more than enough herbivores for a 75 gal tank already. The Foxface will get big. You my want to add inverts like snails or abalone. Do you really need more vertebrates herbivore?
 
Received my new ora durda clam today and it looks wrong. There sees to be two inhalant siphons connected and an extra flap of flesh on the mantle.. not my first clam by far (3 others in the system for years) but never had anything like this.. what's the likelihood it will survive long term? Thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • 43ebde64-de11-4e43-bad4-0f2ae714cb75.jpg
    43ebde64-de11-4e43-bad4-0f2ae714cb75.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 7a724e95-7e62-400f-a87b-1f4bc00588fc.jpg
    7a724e95-7e62-400f-a87b-1f4bc00588fc.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230125_210303.jpg
    20230125_210303.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 72
Your clam had some injury to the mantle. Hopefully it will heal.
 
Foxface and Tomini tang is more than enough herbivores for a 75 gal tank already. The Foxface will get big. You my want to add inverts like snails or abalone. Do you really need more vertebrates herbivore?
At the moment it is definitely required, but you are right that the fox will get big.
As you say it may be better to try and wait it out while adding more cuc in the meantime. Thanks for the feedback
 
I have had this clam for 2.5 months. It has spent 2 months in my qt and now 14 days in the display. Its sitting in approximately 400-450 par.
72D2C000-D5C7-4CD7-935B-111B8FA5C824.jpeg


Today i saw the foxface nip at the mantle, its the fist time i see it so it cant be a constant thing. The clam reacted strongly and retreactes its mantle for a bit. The foxface did not seem to go back after the clam extended the mantle again.

I know foxfaces are not entirely safe with clams, so how worried should i be?
270C4FBF-5B01-4B59-B953-3C95C4A9C124.jpeg

are these bite marks or just a natural part of the mantle?

I could move the clam back to the qt, but the water params and the ph is probably better in the display so im a little reluctant to do so (not to mention that the clam looks better in the display)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top