Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

I have had this clam for 2.5 months. It has spent 2 months in my qt and now 14 days in the display. Its sitting in approximately 400-450 par.
72D2C000-D5C7-4CD7-935B-111B8FA5C824.jpeg


Today i saw the foxface nip at the mantle, its the fist time i see it so it cant be a constant thing. The clam reacted strongly and retreactes its mantle for a bit. The foxface did not seem to go back after the clam extended the mantle again.

I know foxfaces are not entirely safe with clams, so how worried should i be?
270C4FBF-5B01-4B59-B953-3C95C4A9C124.jpeg

are these bite marks or just a natural part of the mantle?

I could move the clam back to the qt, but the water params and the ph is probably better in the display so im a little reluctant to do so (not to mention that the clam looks better in the display)
How is your clam? Any further problem?
 
Just noticed this evening my clam is loosing some color . Check out the picture and lmk what you think is wrong. I’m thinking maybe too much light but not sure. Other then the color loose it seems in really good condition
Thanks
Jeff
5FCBFAC5-FCC7-4D8C-952A-82C4AF64671D.jpeg
 
It looks normal to me. Maybe you do not give it enough to light. I think clam needs full spectrum light instead of blue spectrum light. Crocea live right at the surface of the water with extremely bright light. You will not be able to over expose, or give the Crocea too much light.
 
You can see the faded coloration, almost a loss of blue coloration in the raised folds, sorry for the lack of terms. I have had this guy for 3 months or so and it has just recently developed this color loss. I run my lighting in a full color spectrum color range. Im not a huge all blue fan like what is so popular now a days.
thanks
Jeff
 
I think it is from lack of light. Flat area of the mantle gets more photons for surface area, the slope part of the mantle gets less light and thus the color there is not as intense. If I am you, I get the clam higher or boost the light.
 
These are the color loss areas I am talking about. They are pretty much the highest part of the clam towards the light. That’s why I suspected too much light but your thinking no way that’s the issue.
0DF390D5-4991-497D-9CB3-636BACB0CBA2.jpeg
 
The brown/gold area for the clam are not color loss but just the pattern of your clam. It is a very common pattern on Crocea mantle.
 
They do not change. But it could be much lighter before and with better condition it color up.
 
hello guys

How do I proceed if I get a new tridacna?
Can I dip the clam like a oral oder whats your schedule here?
 
hello guys

How do I proceed if I get a new tridacna?
Can I dip the clam like a oral oder whats your schedule here?
Do you have an established clam already? If it's your first clam in the system, then you can QT in a separate system to make sure there are no parasites (pyramid snails, etc) observe, then place in your display. Regardless, inspect for pyramids, etc.... Also, buy James Fatherree's new book.
 
Do you have an established clam already? If it's your first clam in the system, then you can QT in a separate system to make sure there are no parasites (pyramid snails, etc) observe, then place in your display. Regardless, inspect for pyramids, etc.... Also, buy James Fatherree's new book.
I agree with @minus9
 
It does not have any attachment structure around so it grow back on itself, forming an ever enlarging tube.
 
Can I host a gigas clam in my 120 high? If so how long, and the tank dimensions are as follows 48 inch by 24 inch by 24 inch.
 
I've Been jumping around this thread. Can anyone weigh in on nitrates? My nitrates sit around 9 ppm, phos ≤ .1 Seems the nitrate/phos situation is the only thing on the list that jumps out to me. Would this be of concern when choosing a clam?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top