Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

I have not been able to read every page on this post yet but I have read a lot of info online in general on clams. but I can not seem to find a happy spot for my maxima. I have had him for about a week now and every day he is in a new position. at first I just had him on a flat rock on the sand bed. then I tried putting him in a tupperware with rock rubble in it (pictured) and again would be laying on its side the next day. now I have put him back on the sand bed on top of a rock, surrounded by other rocks. went to go eat dinner and came back to him already back on his side again (pictured). intuition would tell me he doesn't like the light but I have heard that there is no such thing as too much light for these guys, especially on the sand bed with a diy led kit from nano tuners.

I have a bio cube 29 with a mp 10 running Reefcrest Mode at about 40% power blowing across the top of the tank. his mantle isn't flopping around so I don't believe its too much flow and just to be safe I placed a large rock in front of him to help divert any strong currents. I try to leave him alone as much as possible to not stress him out but I also don't want him to not be able to flip back up. I don't have a full parameter reading but ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 6 calc and alk run a little high because I use coral pro salt. any ideas why he won't stay facing up? there has been about two days out of the last eight where he has stayed still for most of the day facing up.

he is probably only a inch and a half in size at best so I know he is super delicate. no signs of gaping or pinched mantle imo. I have fed oyster feast twice now on those two good days mentioned and he seemed to enjoy it as I could see him actively siphon. just trying not to lose him. any thing helps. thank you.

pic of one of the "good days"
IMG_1639.jpg

before dinner (a little more closed than usual because I took the picture like 2 minutes after placing him there)
IMG_1642.jpg

after dinner
IMG_1644.jpg
 
Sometimes little clams will lay over from to much light/intensity. I would leave him be on his side for a bit and see how the clam does in the next few days.
Ya at this point I feel I have done everything that I can. I’m just going to leave him alone and hope he can figure it out on his own. I also turned the lights down last night. I’m assuming if he is still facing up when I get home from work today that it was a light issue. Thank you for your input.
 
ok so I did what I said I wasn't going to do haha. but for some reason I am convince that the rock I have been trying to get him attach to he doesn't like. it is a piece of a decorative rock that fresh water tanks have that I dremalled into a flat ish shape . it is not a real "reef rock". so I found a piece of reef rock and glued some others on to it to create a more natural feel for the clam. I might be crazy but ill try anything at this point. the clam seems happy thought over all. if he can pull through this than this is the hardiest maxima alive lol.

I dont know if this is normal but I noticed that the clam was sticking its foot out of its mouth lol. so I thought I would fill you guys in and show a picture.

foot out of the mouth pic
IMG_1654.jpg

after first moving him to new rock (idk why this picture came up second)
IMG_1647.jpg
 
So I can’t seem to find this in all the post. Going to be ordering my first clam this weekend. Tank is right at the year mark so I finally decided to try. Doing a small one, around a 2” maxima. Question i feel like I’ve read not to expose them to air? Is that true when I’m placing him in the tank? I usually try not dump any of the water in my tank when I put things in there. Thanks!
 
The clam can be exposed to air, it will not hurt it at all. Some in the wild are exposed to air for extended amounts of time. When placing the clam in the tank, gently rotate the clam incase there is any trapped air withing the clam.
Ok, great thank you! Super excited to finally pull the trigger on one. When they are that small are they easier or harder to take care of?
 
What exactly constitutes “gaping” and to what extent is too much? I have had this maxima for three days and it’s basically always looked the exact same. It does react to shadowing and has moved off of its rock base to the sand a couple of times already (I stopped moving it back). Does this look normal?

BF183EA9-A456-49FF-A90C-C72F82B1ECDC.jpeg
 
Will a simply kalkwasser dosing using an ATO keep all levels adequate for a clam? Or would it need any extra supplementation?
 
Will a simply kalkwasser dosing using an ATO keep all levels adequate for a clam? Or would it need any extra supplementation?

A lot depends on the size and species of clam, it could be enough for a while, but I wouldn't plan on it. A 2" crocea vs a 6" derasa will consume many many times less calcium and alk.
 
Okay, I plan on getting a larger clam maxima 4-6". Could I just increase the kalkwasser concentration to 1, 1.5, or 2tsp per gallon in ATO? Or would I need a reactor to properly dose it?
 
Last edited:
I would just watch the levels and see what it starts consuming and then increase kalk concentration as needed. They can take a while to settle in and start growing.
 
7F7A7D70-B9F5-4306-A32F-77A2C8BD92E8.jpeg
9A9BCD1F-0E0A-4C8A-B5AE-0E23D15C04A1.jpeg
Here’s my newest addition hows it look ?been in the tank for 5 days LFS said it was a gold maxima just want to confirm
 
7F7A7D70-B9F5-4306-A32F-77A2C8BD92E8.jpeg
9A9BCD1F-0E0A-4C8A-B5AE-0E23D15C04A1.jpeg
Here’s my newest addition hows it look ?been in the tank for 5 days LFS said it was a gold maxima just want to confirm

Yep and a pretty one at that! "Gold" really covers all sorts of colors and shades for clam grades as you can see with that gorgeous guy.
 
Yep and a pretty one at that! "Gold" really covers all sorts of colors and shades for clam grades as you can see with that gorgeous guy.
Thanks I waited a good while before I bought it the LFS had it for about 2-3 months and it grew a lot there so I’m sure it’s healthy I would go every week to see them knowing one of them would be mine and $45 isn’t a bad deal
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top