Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

Wow for knowing it's healthy and seeing it grow at lfs $45 is a crazy good deal! Nicely done!
 
I apologize if this question has been asked before. I have a blue squamosa that has easily tripled in size since I purchased it off DD about a year ago. However the once brilliant blue coloration has turned more muted purple when viewing from the side. It used to be so colorful from all viewing angles. Perhaps it is due to the mantle growing and the color spreading or the effect of my Hydras on the zooxanthellae? Should I consider changing the spectrum? I would say I’m running at about 14k. Or perhaps this is normal as the clam grows. It is about 4.5” across.

B3A21058-6730-45BA-940A-50AE4E0560D1.jpeg 5393ECF4-2EEF-49B4-8825-CCDB226B5799.jpeg
 
That is odd for sure. If it’s been growing well I wouldn’t change anything. It almost looks like the blue patches remained but didn’t grow while the brown areas expanded. I would say it’s just how this individual is growing. Very possible it will shift again.
 
That is odd for sure. If it’s been growing well I wouldn’t change anything. It almost looks like the blue patches remained but didn’t grow while the brown areas expanded. I would say it’s just how this individual is growing. Very possible it will shift again.
I didnt make it clear that the two photos I provided are both from today. There was no brown when it was only 2 inches across.
 
Oh wow! Guess I was right the blue was the same at least, haha. I have never had a blue squammy that did well, hopefully another member has some experience with them.
 
With everything I've read, clams do need a bit of nutrients, similar to corals. Is that correct? 0 seems excessively low.

If so, shouldn't the sticky be updated?
 
so i used to not think much of clams, but saw a beautiful maxima at the lfs awhile back. my main tank has a flame angel in it so no go there, but i'm gonna set up a smaller nano tank to cure my urges for things like acans and more fish

questions on clams:

-are they difficult? i'm no coral expert, but i do have some sps and acros, so i think i'm semi decent. i've read maximas are on the more difficult end of the spectrum
-would placing it under an ai prime in a 20 gallon suffice?
-do they eat up alk/calcium? i was kinda hoping i could go easy mode on the nano tank and do like 1 large water change a month on it, i'd rather not dose
-do you feed them?
 
They can definitely be difficult to keep.
One factor is a disease organism, perkinsus, which if it gets into your tank from 1 clam can wipe out all your clams.
A single AI Prime might not be enough, once it's acclimated. Depends on whether it's at the bottom or near the top.
Most clams like 200 PAR, more if possible.
If your clam is healthy and growing, it will definitely use calcium and alk in significant quantities to build its shell.
When the mantle is retracted, you want to see a nice rim of white shell, indicating active growth.
Ideally you should feed them, but most people probably don't, or at least, don't do so effectively.
Adding a bit of phyto to your tank now and then really won't do much for the clams.
I've heard of people intermittently removing clams from the display and letting them sit in green water to feed them.
Haven't tried that myself.
Maximas are harder to keep than derasas, but in my experience, easier than squamosas or croceas.
 
It was suggested I cross post my question to her, any advice would be appreciated!!

I think I am on the verge of losing my second clam and am quite disappointed. I lost the first to what I assumed was a lack of enough light but I thought I remedied that and now this second I had hope for and it showed new shell growth as recently as last month. However, now it is all but dead. It is in a 12" deep IM lagoon 25 with a radion xr30 gen 4 pro over it and I just don't know where I went wrong this time. Parameters:
Ca: 380 (low)
Alk: 10.9
NO3: 2 ppm (also dose red sea nutrition A and B)

I have two
IMG_8613.jpg
IMG_8510.jpg
more left that I would love to keep alive but my hopes are low.
 
hi guys,

i bought today a 8" inch maxima. I put it on the sand bed with a rock under. On the sand bed i've Euphyllia, fungia, blastomussa which are fine. My tank is 24" and is lighted by a ATI sirius X4. In the middle i've some montipora, acropora and stylophora fine too. Can i leave the clam on the sand or i've to put it on the rock in the middle of the tank ?

Thanks a lot.


Sorry for my poor english, i try to do the best...

Fred
P_20191018_191522.jpg
 
I don't know anything about your light or it's output so I cannot comment on this. Generally, if your LPS is doing well on this amount of light, then the Maxima likely need higher light. On par with SPS rather than LPS
 
It was suggested I cross post my question to her, any advice would be appreciated!!

I think I am on the verge of losing my second clam and am quite disappointed. I lost the first to what I assumed was a lack of enough light but I thought I remedied that and now this second I had hope for and it showed new shell growth as recently as last month. However, now it is all but dead. It is in a 12" deep IM lagoon 25 with a radion xr30 gen 4 pro over it and I just don't know where I went wrong this time. Parameters:
Ca: 380 (low)
Alk: 10.9
NO3: 2 ppm (also dose red sea nutrition A and B)

I have two
IMG_8613.jpg
IMG_8510.jpg
more left that I would love to keep alive but my hopes are low.
I think you have enough light. It must have some sort of disease. Does not seem to be PMD from the pictures.
 
I'm looking at getting a clam in my 45g cube (24x24x18h), and I am working on light upgrades for the Christmas season. The tank currently holds soft corals and LPS. My LFS sells Current USA and AI. My options were the dual IC Pro from Current, or a Prime HD 16, but it looks like from reading on here that neither of those options may be enough light for a clam, and might be too much for those LPS (torch, hammer, duncan).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
 
I would go AI over current. 2 primes on a 45 should work out.

Would you run 2 16 HDs, or 1 32 HD? Why?

I included an old picture of the tank to get an idea of the layout. Mushrooms on the right (Duncan now as well), and the left has a torch and now a hammer.
IMG_20190721_192739385.jpg
 
Not familiar with the primes but AI is superior to current as far as lighting goes. Whatever you choose I would go for power and spread. Lighting is very important to tridacna. Also depends on what vlam your going with. Maxima and crocea need more light than derasa and squamosa. Either way, I would rather have too much light than too little.
 
I'm leaning toward a Crocea. I don't want to get a Maxima and have it outgrow my tank and need to re-home it later. I realize that Crocea are difficult to keep around and might consider a Deresa instead. My mind isn't made up on anything yet.

From what I can tell the only benefit to 2 16's vs 1 32 is that you can control the spread. The have the exact same LED's and power. It costs roughly $100 extra to get 2 16's I think when you consider mounts. I don't think I can mount 2 arms to the back of my tank since I have all overhanging filtration and skimmer.
 
Hi guys,

Recently I lost all the clams(5-6) I had in my tank, one of which was a 6-7yr old derasa I grew to the size of a football. I understand I may have introduced something when I added a few clams earlier this year. Now I am looking to get back in the clam game, but I would like to know the best way to treat any clam I introduce into my tank. FW dip? Should they be treated in a quarantine tank before being introduced into the display? And if so, what do you recommend to treat them with?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top