Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

Recently got a gift cert to Live Aquaria as an early birthday present and looking to add a clam to my desktop tank (IM Nuvo 10). I have a derasa now in my other tank that's been with me for almost 2 years now. I was looking into Crocea due to the smaller size and the tank being smaller, was also trying to avoid a sand dwelling clam as I have a pistol shrimp who is exceptionally fond of making my sand bed resemble the Sahara desert.

Tank is lit by by an AI prime about 8-10" over the water. I have a nice shelf that I was looking to put the clam on that would put it about 12" below the light.

Would a Crocea be a good fit? If not any other recommendations?
 
I don't really know how much light AI Prime put out but Crocea need high SPS range of light.
 
The 1 inch crocea has been doing bad for a while and today had about half of the tissues pulling away from the rim. I decided to euthanize him as I know certain parasites will leave the newly dead infected clam’s tissues in huge numbers and infect new clams. When I turned it over I can see certain white pods (like sesame seeds) crowding around it’s byssal opening (almost covered), some got dislodged will float at the top due to surface tension seemingly unable to swim down by themselves.
I gave the poor clam a FWD and I can see a lot of them floating up, I took a crappy picture of those I was able to make sink, (it’s too hard to focus on them on the surface).
So, is it some regular pods just happen to hang around or it is some nasty clam parasites

882CBA61-2AD3-4B3C-BE84-2D422197BEEF.jpeg 8F5ACDF5-44E3-4098-9355-C4447D98DA71.jpeg
 
Thanks, maybe they are pyramid snails. They are so small I never thought of it
They will kill your clams. If one your clam have the rest will have it too. If you don't know about it, it is what kill your clam. You need to check the rest of the clams, and get the infestation under control or you will have all dead clams in a few months.
 
They will kill your clams. If one your clam have the rest will have it too. If you don't know about it, it is what kill your clam. You need to check the rest of the clams, and get the infestation under control or you will have all dead clams in a few months.
Yep I checked all the rest seems to be fine, I will keep checking though. They are really small not like a grain of rice more like half a sesame seed, and move quite fast
 
Yep I checked all the rest seems to be fine, I will keep checking though. They are really small not like a grain of rice more like half a sesame seed, and move quite fast
The largest is about 2 mm.
 
They will kill your clams. If one your clam have the rest will have it too. If you don't know about it, it is what kill your clam. You need to check the rest of the clams, and get the infestation under control or you will have all dead clams in a few months.
I have removed rice sized pyramid snails before that’s why I didn’t think they are those

210A7295-5FBE-479F-8A48-D06CACCB2982.jpeg
 
I was very surprised by the size of those when I saw them. I am sure they are pyramids though I watched them feeding on the mantle
According to this diagram, and from what I can see in your pictures, you got Pyramids. I never got them this large. I knew about them since 1997 when they kill my first Crocea, so I have never have them for any length of time in my tank. It is possible that the ones I got recently were are juveniles, and never have enough time to grow into large adults.
1594513919642-png.1674396
 
I was reading through a clam book on care and keeping and had a question. In the book it says after clams reach XX size fish pretty much leave them alone. (I want to say it was 4" but don't quote me on that)

I initially assumed this might be the case in the ocean and not in a tank where things tend to be slightly different. Does anyone have any experience with this?
 
I was reading through a clam book on care and keeping and had a question. In the book it says after clams reach XX size fish pretty much leave them alone. (I want to say it was 4" but don't quote me on that)

I initially assumed this might be the case in the ocean and not in a tank where things tend to be slightly different. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Not true. I have a 28 inches Gigas and have a angel the occasionally peck at it. Have to get rid of the Angel
 
I have question about the clams .
I wonder about how well they will do in a aquarium with say 16 ppm nitrates and .150 ppm of phosphate? Also I’ve been thinking about one because I have particles in the water always . I can’t see it during the day but with a flashlight at night it’s a lot of small stuff in the water
 
Oh and how well do they handle flow. ? Varied back and forth . I’m a stickhead so it’s fast water .
 
I ordered and received a maxima clam today via wholesale. It looks great and is expanded open good. The issue I noticed tonight is it isnt reacting to light changes or movement over the clam. I went to pick it up and it slammed shut quickly and opened back up fairly quick. Should I be concerned? Ive seen my buddies clams and they react by just waving my hand over it.
thanks
Jeff
 
I ordered and received a maxima clam today via wholesale. It looks great and is expanded open good. The issue I noticed tonight is it isnt reacting to light changes or movement over the clam. I went to pick it up and it slammed shut quickly and opened back up fairly quick. Should I be concerned? Ive seen my buddies clams and they react by just waving my hand over it.
thanks
Jeff
It will take a bit for him to react to your hand blocking light as probably still in shock from transport. Slamming shut when picked up is a good sign.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top