Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

GHL has stated that they are currently replacing probes that do not make it to 6 months.
The original probe does not work properly straight out of the Box.
 
Yeah, take all that with a grain of salt. The beta testers used it or they didn't test.
 
Oh, my understanding was that sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't and when it did... it might not have the 6 month lifespan it should
Seems like the Calcium test was never reading properly and some of the other tests had numbers that bounced all over the place. It really does not matter because it is not the final probe, so we will have to wait and see what the final version does.
 
Seems like the Calcium test was never reading properly and some of the other tests had numbers that bounced all over the place. It really does not matter because it is not the final probe, so we will have to wait and see what the final version does.
So if that's the case I guess we need another beta..
 
So if that's the case I guess we need another beta..
I think they are way past the point of having another proper Beta testing round, unless they had the latest probe from five months ago and have been testing it and hiding that fact.
If you look at the time line of posts and believe the replies on the German site it makes it sound like they just got the new probes a month or two ago and are still waiting for mass production.
I don't know how any company can be comfortable giving a 6 month warranty without at least testing several dozen probes for at least 6 months. But here we are and I don't think they have that luxury of time anymore.
 
I’m about to place a order for one, reading this gives me anxiety, does anyone have any news that would ease my mind about this?
 
I’m about to place a order for one, reading this gives me anxiety, does anyone have any news that would ease my mind about this?
Is your concern about the product itself or when you’ll actually receive it? For people selected to have it, they seem to say good things but then you hear about new probes being developed because of longevity and/or accuracy issues. The shipping is TBD to be honest, they are still promising pre-orders ahead of others, but if there are business that had bulk purchases in pre-order, you could get one from them ahead of an individual who ore-ordered. Personally, waiting for the probe situation to get resolved is a safe stance to take, but your thoughts may be entirely different.
 
Is your concern about the product itself or when you’ll actually receive it? For people selected to have it, they seem to say good things but then you hear about new probes being developed because of longevity and/or accuracy issues. The shipping is TBD to be honest, they are still promising pre-orders ahead of others, but if there are business that had bulk purchases in pre-order, you could get one from them ahead of an individual who ore-ordered. Personally, waiting for the probe situation to get resolved is a safe stance to take, but your thoughts may be entirely different.
Yeah my only concern would be waiting any longer than the “up to 4 months” that they say if I place a preorder today, I have worked very hard to come up with the money to get this thing
 
Yeah my only concern would be waiting any longer than the “up to 4 months” that they say if I place a preorder today, I have worked very hard to come up with the money to get this thing
You will be waiting longer than 4 months.
 
You will be waiting longer than 4 months.
Maybe…but if LFS’s or similar vendors joined the pre-order, and GHL supplies them, the stores will sell them before the rest of the ore-orders are met. Of course this would really tick off individuals who pre-ordered and see regulars picking them up from retailers, but GHL never said companies weren’t part of the pre-order and they would likely service them as a priority to get products into peoples hands faster.
 
Maybe…but if LFS’s or similar vendors joined the pre-order, and GHL supplies them, the stores will sell them before the rest of the ore-orders are met. Of course this would really tick off individuals who pre-ordered and see regulars picking them up from retailers, but GHL never said companies weren’t part of the pre-order and they would likely service them as a priority to get products into peoples hands faster.
This is going to be interesting no matter what happens. It's already been so. They told me two weeks for shipping, but I've been told that before. Time will tell. I know when I'll give up on it.
 
Maybe…but if LFS’s or similar vendors joined the pre-order, and GHL supplies them, the stores will sell them before the rest of the ore-orders are met. Of course this would really tick off individuals who pre-ordered and see regulars picking them up from retailers, but GHL never said companies weren’t part of the pre-order and they would likely service them as a priority to get products into peoples hands faster.
GHL never said it, but the way it was done kind of implied that I would be getting mine before Tom who waited for it to drop on BRS got his.
They also never said that the ordering was opened in Germany first. We all know that they have a huge reefing community in Germany, so that put everyone else way down on the list.

From an economic and survival aspect if I was GHL I would most certainly be looking at getting them into the hands of the retailers that made big orders first. The huge downside is that the people who pre ordered are most likely going to quickly purchase the units that arrive at the retailers and then cancel their GHL pre orders.

So it's kind of a no win situation. They save themselves from having to write big refund checks but still have to pay out the same amount in hundreds of small refunds. Probably worst because a lot of people paid the full amount up front while I am sure the retailers did the 50% deal or maybe negotiated something even lower.

All of this is pretty much standard operating methods. Neptune did USA orders first and I am pretty sure that their bigger distributors got priority on Trident, but this time it all went horribly wrong due to the massive delay and the cash up front policy.

I am looking forward to buying an IonD but I am going to see how the probe life thing works out.
I wonder what the annual expenditure is going to be if you do at least one or two test per day.
 
Last edited:
...I am looking forward to buying an IonD but I am going to see how the probe life thing works out.
I wonder what the annual expenditure is going to be if you do at least one or two test per day.
When I looked into it I estimated ~$345.
I think the cost of the probe also needs to be taken into consideration. Last I saw it was estimated to last 6 to 18 months. Taking 12 months for the life would add ~ $0.18 to each test, performing testing twice a day for a year.

Annual cost of Reference A (1000ml), Reference B (1000ml) and a probe would be $345.
 
Hi

Mode standard: 9ml Reference A and 9ml Reference B per test
High Precision mode: 13ml Reference A and 13ml Reference B

ION Director Multi-ION Sensor: $144.90
ION Director Reference A, 1000 ml: $28.90
ION Director Reference B, 1000 ml: $28.90

Gaël
This math look right?

1000ml @ 9ml/test = 111 tests. Twice a day is 55 days worth, which is 6.6 refills annually

6.6 x $28.90 = $190.74 for each reference.
so $381.48 for references

ION Director Multi-ION Sensor: $144.90

Total = ~$526 annually
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top