Having a hard time getting frags to stick to rocks

Chortanator

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2019
Messages
564
Reaction score
456
Location
Nova Scotia
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post recommending gorilla glue gel to attach frags to rocks - I added a generous amount to the (flat) base and pressed it to the rock for 30 seconds. This did absolutely nothing and it blew off overnight. I bought some SeaChem coralcrete (purple) and tried that as well, mixing it and pressing it to the base of the frag and the rock. The coralcrete dried hard and just fell off. I'm not sure what else I can do to get these frags to stick, I'm at my wit's end putting them back where they were every morning
 
When you put the glue in the water a skin forms on it. When you place it on the rock you have to twist it to break the skin and get adhesion. You should also prep the rock by using a tooth brush on it to remove any algae or bio film. That way the bond is directly to the rock.
 
do what fishy said. There are videos on youtube if you want a visual.
 
I saw a post recommending gorilla glue gel to attach frags to rocks - I added a generous amount to the (flat) base and pressed it to the rock for 30 seconds. This did absolutely nothing and it blew off overnight. I bought some SeaChem coralcrete (purple) and tried that as well, mixing it and pressing it to the base of the frag and the rock. The coralcrete dried hard and just fell off. I'm not sure what else I can do to get these frags to stick, I'm at my wit's end putting them back where they were every morning
I do it this way like world wide corals
 

Attachments

  • 3ffe74b0d34bd56fc99a63025ab1c4a7 (2).jpg
    3ffe74b0d34bd56fc99a63025ab1c4a7 (2).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 108
What frags? Softies, sps/lps.,.?

For me, plain miliput, or better d-d epoxy works great, its tacky so its easy to work underwater, when dried is rock solid....
 
I do it this way like world wide corals
For the longest time that always seemed like too much work for me and I'd use just one or the other. After a year if learning over and over that epoxy really doesn't stick to anything (at best, it's just a friction fit until it dries) and it's just about impossible to use enough superglue to fill the voids, I finally tried it that way. It works considerably better and isn't all that difficult, but you do have to work fast(ish) since you have multiple things drying.

I get everything set to go first. The epoxy is open, the superglue cap is loosened and checked to make sure the end isn't covered in dried glue, various tools and towels are next to me etc. I also make sure to choose a location first. If I'm leaving the stem on the plug, I'll often grab an empty plug first to make sure it'll fit properly. If I'm cutting off the stem or removing the plug altogether, I'll do that first and let [whatever is going to be in contact with glue] sit on a towel so it can get as dry as possible before I come back to it.
Next, pinch off some epoxy and start kneading it. After about 30 seconds, work it into the approximate shape you'll need it in. For me, I like it be kind of a teardrop shape with flat on the larger end. Grab the glue, but a big glob of glue on the plug and gently push the flat spot of the epoxy into it, hold it for a few seconds until it's dried enough that it's not going to fall off under it's own weight. Put a *big* glob of glue on the other end of the epoxy and shove it onto the rock. Use a bit of force too, you need to not only break the skin that forms on the superglue when it hits the water, but you also want the glue and epoxy to make as much contact with the rock as possible.

Sounds like a whole big production. But even if I'm just doing one, from the time I start to the time I'm drying off my arm is about 2 minutes.
It just takes a bit of practice. Also, knowing when something probably isn't going to stay put and moving it elsewhere as well as knowing if it falls, you can just fix it another day, it's generally not that big of a deal (though maybe at least make sure it's right side up when you notice it).
 
For the longest time that always seemed like too much work for me and I'd use just one or the other. After a year if learning over and over that epoxy really doesn't stick to anything (at best, it's just a friction fit until it dries) and it's just about impossible to use enough superglue to fill the voids, I finally tried it that way. It works considerably better and isn't all that difficult, but you do have to work fast(ish) since you have multiple things drying.

I get everything set to go first. The epoxy is open, the superglue cap is loosened and checked to make sure the end isn't covered in dried glue, various tools and towels are next to me etc. I also make sure to choose a location first. If I'm leaving the stem on the plug, I'll often grab an empty plug first to make sure it'll fit properly. If I'm cutting off the stem or removing the plug altogether, I'll do that first and let [whatever is going to be in contact with glue] sit on a towel so it can get as dry as possible before I come back to it.
Next, pinch off some epoxy and start kneading it. After about 30 seconds, work it into the approximate shape you'll need it in. For me, I like it be kind of a teardrop shape with flat on the larger end. Grab the glue, but a big glob of glue on the plug and gently push the flat spot of the epoxy into it, hold it for a few seconds until it's dried enough that it's not going to fall off under it's own weight. Put a *big* glob of glue on the other end of the epoxy and shove it onto the rock. Use a bit of force too, you need to not only break the skin that forms on the superglue when it hits the water, but you also want the glue and epoxy to make as much contact with the rock as possible.

Sounds like a whole big production. But even if I'm just doing one, from the time I start to the time I'm drying off my arm is about 2 minutes.
It just takes a bit of practice. Also, knowing when something probably isn't going to stay put and moving it elsewhere as well as knowing if it falls, you can just fix it another day, it's generally not that big of a deal (though maybe at least make sure it's right side up when you notice it).

What epoxy do you use?
 
For me, the hardest part is finding a spot on the (porous) rock where the (flat) bottom of the frag plug disc "fits" well, with a lot of contact between plug and rock.

On my rocks, small frag plugs are easy. Large ones more of a pain. (Tempted to start cutting down the edges of the one large one I'm struggling with but have been too afraid of damaging the zoas).

Other than that, regular, original Super Glue Gel has been working great for me.

Good luck. Let us know what works out for you...
 
A lot of my tank uses the Two Little Fishies stax rocks, which are cut to be flat and I find useful for placing frags on. The only problem is they break the immersion of that natural look

1652445552666.png
 
For me, the hardest part is finding a spot on the (porous) rock where the (flat) bottom of the frag plug disc "fits" well, with a lot of contact between plug and rock.

On my rocks, small frag plugs are easy. Large ones more of a pain. (Tempted to start cutting down the edges of the one large one I'm struggling with but have been too afraid of damaging the zoas).

Other than that, regular, original Super Glue Gel has been working great for me.

Good luck. Let us know what works out for you...

I currently have a bottle of super glue gel that I bought a few weeks ago - I used it once, but now the nozzle is full of dried glue and I can't get any more out. I've followed the instructions I've found online, soaking the bottle in hot water and using a hot needle to poke at the hole, but I still can't get any to come out. Have you had this issue? Would I be better off just buying the polyplab glue? I've had success with that in the past
 
I currently have a bottle of super glue gel that I bought a few weeks ago - I used it once, but now the nozzle is full of dried glue and I can't get any more out. I've followed the instructions I've found online, soaking the bottle in hot water and using a hot needle to poke at the hole, but I still can't get any to come out. Have you had this issue? Would I be better off just buying the polyplab glue? I've had success with that in the past
That's why I just use these small ones and basically use most of the tube and toss it:

Super Glue Gel 12-pack
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What epoxy do you use?
Whatever random brand I picked up the last time I needed an excuse to go to the LFS and didn't want to walk out empty handed. At least as far as the two part epoxies that come in sticks, I've never noticed any huge difference from one brand to the next.
 
Got this simple tip from garf one of the old old timers years ago. Place some of the super glue on your finger, rub the spot on the rock you want the frag. This breaks the glue skin and gets the glue into the nooks. You could possibly even use a brush 1st if rocks are really dirty.

then glue as normal to the selected spot. It’s so simple and works amazingly well. One of those things that is a “duh” moment but seriously makes it easy peasy. No need for epoxy or anything complex. Give it a try
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top