Heaters — Finnex or BRS?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mike550
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
LOL ... no problem.

Here is the code for both my heaters ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MAIN HEATER (200W)

Fallback OFF
If TMP_DT < 78.0 Then ON
If TMP_DT > 78.2 Then OFF
If Output LeftAndRight = ON Then OFF
If TMP_DT < 70.0 Then OFF

AUXILIARY HEATER (300W)

Fallback OFF
If TMP_DT < 77.8 Then ON
If TMP_DT > 78.0 Then OFF
If Output LeftAndRight = ON Then OFF
If TMP_DT < 70.0 Then OFF

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Notes:
- the line "If Output LeftAndRight = ON Then OFF" refers to a virtual outlet I created that turns ON if both my left and right return pumps are OFF ... the logic here was that I don't want the heaters running if there is no water flowing through the sump, since my temperature probe is actually in the overflow of my display tank

- the line "If TMP_DT < 70.0 Then OFF" is a safety check I added that turns off the heaters if the temp drops below 70 ... the logic here was that if the temperature drops that far, there must be a catastrophic failure somewhere so I might as well turn off the heaters to avoid frying them out!

- there are a lot of people who have told me not to set the temp limits so close together (in my case, I use a window of only 0.2 degrees). While I think that is certainly true if you were using a single heater that was sized to manage your whole tank on it's own, in my case since the main heater is clearly NOT big enough to heat the whole tank it really isn't a problem. My heater only comes on about once every couple of hours and when it turns on it runs for about 30 to 40 mins ... so I'm not getting the rapid cycling of power supply that would normally be of concern.

Hope this helps!
Thanks @TexanCanuck Much appreciated.
 
Haha your a funny guy I like your humor please keep us posted :)
No worries I will! I’ve got a couple of other things ahead of this. I’ll probably end up using two BRS heaters but still using an external controller for the “main” heater.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top