Help! Black Clowns being attacked by pink skunk

Sparklepony

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2016
Messages
19
Reaction score
10
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weeks ago I went to the LFS and purchased a pair of black clowns and a LTA. When I got home I came to find the pink skunk still living in the anemone! Thought it was cool at first maybe they'll get along but I bought a BTA bc the LFS said the black clowns could hide out there. They haven't noticed the BTA but the pink skunk has gotten increasingly aggressive and taken nips off both clowns but mainly the smaller male black clown who looks like his fins went through paper shredder! I know the pink skunk is to blame bc I have seen him go after them. Not sure what to do at this point but I would like to be able to have them co-habitate if possible...
 
A couple of weeks ago I went to the LFS and purchased a pair of black clowns and a LTA. When I got home I came to find the pink skunk still living in the anemone! Thought it was cool at first maybe they'll get along but I bought a BTA bc the LFS said the black clowns could hide out there. They haven't noticed the BTA but the pink skunk has gotten increasingly aggressive and taken nips off both clowns but mainly the smaller male black clown who looks like his fins went through paper shredder! I know the pink skunk is to blame bc I have seen him go after them. Not sure what to do at this point but I would like to be able to have them co-habitate if possible...
What sized tank? If the tank is too small there may not be much you can do. If the tank is 30" or longer, then these 2 species should be able to cohabitate.

One thing you could try is to add some eggcrate to seperate the clowns.

Another is to put the bta and black ocellaris in a critter ge for a few days.
 
The tank is 75 gallon 48" by 18". Is it safe to put an egg crate in the tank ?
 
There is no issue spliting the tank with egg crate. As said above putting the bta and clowns in a critter cage maybe help encourage them to host it.
 
Might not be the same egg crate you are thinking about. Can someone clarify this. I think they are talking about the light diffuser style cut to fit.
Yes, the light diffuser egg crate.
 
I am a newbie so I did think it was an eggcrate from the supermarket . So I would get a light diffuser eggcrate?
Looks like this but bigger! Cut down to fit your application.
Screenshot_20161006-081028.jpg
 
I am a little confused by the behavior of these clowns. I have a Dropcam and can check in on them from work and this morning they are swimming peacefully together. I'm sure it won't last but it's nice to see. I'm going to search online where I can get an EC ASAP and just hope I'm not too late!!!!!
 
Very nice tank. How long have you had it setup?
 
Pink skunks are one of the meanest clowns I have ever kept -- much worse than a maroon pair. The mated pair that I had ended up killing a golden dwarf angel, can't imagine what they would have done to another clown. Shortly after killing the dwarf I sold them to a local breeder.
 
I don't have any experience with Pink Skunk Clownfish, but I would think a 4 foot tank would be marginal at best for more than 2 of any species of clown... I know they are very territorial, and as they increase in size, the territorial imperative increases, too.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top