Help - Copperband Butterfly will not eat clams..

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCOLE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Like others have mentioned since you have the clams already, try mincing them or running over a cheese grater while frozen. Our Fish Frenzy® blend has fresh fish eggs, lots of clam, as well as live blackworms added right before packaging. It's become a "go-to" food for a lot of folks with finicky feeders. PA sells it as well as all the stores listed on our LRSFoods.com "Buy" page. Best of luck too you and hopefully one day you can get it feeding like this.

Copperband Hand feeding.png
 
Larry, thats why I use your food every day. But I don't eat it myself like you do. Especially the one with the worms in it. ;Drool
 
@Paul B I am about to Mince up about 2 dozen littleneck clams. About half of the clams have black substance in them. I imagine this is their poop? Either way is it safe to blend all of this together?
 
You must try worms...blackworms
 
@Paul B I am about to Mince up about 2 dozen littleneck clams. About half of the clams have black substance in them. I imagine this is their poop? Either way is it safe to blend all of this together?

Yes, that's the best part. :cool:
 
I make my own fish food. It's mostly clams but I do add other things like fish eggs, worms, freeze dried mysis whatever I have on hand. It gets chopped up in a food processor put in a ziplock bag and frozen.
When I feed my fish I start off with live black worms which all the fish go crazy for even the timid ones, they really do get a crazy feeding response from the fish. I follow that with a small chunk of the fish food I made.
Try and get live black worms. My CBB would have starved to death in QT without them. He just picked at mysis and nothing else, but when I offered him the live black worms... wow!...what a response, he would attack them with gusto. I'm lucky to have a lfs carry them, but before they did I used to order them online.

The two places I have ordered from.

I bought the keeper from Aquatic foods and I'm able to keep the worms alive for months with daily water changes.
 
I just picked up some live black worms. Going through the worms I found what appears to be flat worms also??

20191112_163901.jpg
20191112_163906.jpg
 
You sure those arent bloodworms?

Hmm...maybe. the LFS said they were live black worms. They sis look blacker in the bag but now they are red in the bowl. Should I feed them?

15735953462503369115424501524261.jpg
 
A little better picture. Found about a dozen in there.

20191112_165328.jpg
 
Hmm...maybe. the LFS said they were live black worms. They sis look blacker in the bag but now they are red in the bowl. Should I feed them?

15735953462503369115424501524261.jpg

@PaulB is the worm care-taker, I've never tried to keep them.
 
100% not bloodworms.

it could be the color of the photo, but they look a bit like tubifex worms in that picture. Having said that, those are blackworms.

The flatworms turn up often in blackworms portions. They are harmless and won’t live in marine water. You can just pick them out if you want to.
 
There blackworms and that slimy thing is a leech. The fish will eat that too so don't worry about it. Keep the worms in the fridge and rinse them every day in cold tap water. Don't feed them.

I kept mine is a keeper that I designed but for now keep them just as you are.

They won't last long so keep feeding them to your fish.

When you get tired of buying those, get a whiteworm culture on line. They are cheap and will multiply forever giving you more worms than you will know what to do with. And whiteworms live in soil so you don't need to keep them in the fridge as my wife would shoot me, then divorce me, then shoot me again. ;Bucktooth
 
You can keep blackworms alive for months in the fridge with little effort. If your CBB takes to them, and you want some pointers on doing so, let me know...

Seconding the recommendation for white worms. Especially if your blackworm source is not close/convenient.
 
There blackworms and that slimy thing is a leech. The fish will eat that too so don't worry about it. Keep the worms in the fridge and rinse them every day in cold tap water. Don't feed them.

I kept mine is a keeper that I designed but for now keep them just as you are.

They won't last long so keep feeding them to your fish.

When you get tired of buying those, get a whiteworm culture on line. They are cheap and will multiply forever giving you more worms than you will know what to do with. And whiteworms live in soil so you don't need to keep them in the fridge as my wife would shoot me, then divorce me, then shoot me again. ;Bucktooth

Lol I already heard it from my wife when I put them in the fridge. My Anthias and Chromis tore them up. I fed three times. On the 2bd try the copperband actually ate one. So I went for a third try and he just watched them go on by... Lol. Maybe it will take some time. I got a good bit of them for $4 and I would expect it to last all week. Not to bad and the LFS is less than 10 minutes away.

Fingers crossed this works.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top