Help! My corals are struggling and I dont know why!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dre619
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Dre619

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Messages
87
Reaction score
24
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I need help. So my toadstool, mushroom and some of my zoas polyps are not opening up! My parameters are all good except Alk and pH are low. Any ideas for best way to raoise and stabilize these??? All of my other coral are doing just fine! Any help would be great thank you.

Coral 1.jpg Coral 2.jpg Coral 3.jpg Coral 4.jpg
 
Would need more info, what are your exact parameters? What kind of lighting? How old is the tank? What kind of rock did you use (real, wet live rock or dry rock)? What do you have for flow?
 
Would need more info, what are your exact parameters? What kind of lighting? How old is the tank? What kind of rock did you use (real, wet live rock or dry rock)? What do you have for flow?
SG- 1.025
Temp 79
Alk reading at 7dKH
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Calc 360
Mag 1300
pH 8.2
Running Nicrew 100w light
Using cured wet live rock
Flow is good with 2 power heads
Plenty of surface agitation
Aquamaxx 1.5 protein skimmer
 
Alk test might be faulty so waiting on new one arriving tomorrow
 
ph of 8.2 is by no means low, I'd call it just fine with no need to adjust.
Assuming your alk is correct at 7dkh, it's a bit low but not terrible.
Temp is a degree or two higher than optimal, but again not a big concern.

Are you able to test phosphates?
Truth be told, I'd more suspect nutrient deficient conditions.
Soft corals prefer a bit more nutrients in the water.
 
ph of 8.2 is by no means low, I'd call it just fine with no need to adjust.
Assuming your alk is correct at 7dkh, it's a bit low but not terrible.
Temp is a degree or two higher than optimal, but again not a big concern.

Are you able to test phosphates?
Truth be told, I'd more suspect nutrient deficient conditions.
Soft corals prefer a bit more nutrients in the water.
Ill test phosphates now. Will lower temp slowly. Will test phosphates and get back to you in a second. Im not dosing anything right now. Should I dose 2step calc and alk in my ato system? Id imagine my corals will benefit
 
Alk test might be faulty so waiting on new one arriving tomorrow
That Alk at 7 is definitely not too low for zoas / toadstool and most other corals. I would not focus on that or the PH. For the last 10 years I have at least 40 diff corals from zoas/sofites/sps/lps and my alk spends most of the time in the 4-6 range.

Maybe a light/flow issue or other irritant.
 
Sometimes those corals just don’t open for a day or few hours. Shed some skin on the leathers. Zoa’s could be irritated from sand or something getting blown into them.
the concern should arise if they are the same tomorrow.

corey
 
My phosphates are reading at 0.25!!! Could that be the issue? And what is the best and most effective way to lower this?
 
That Alk at 7 is definitely not too low for zoas / toadstool and most other corals. I would not focus on that or the PH. For the last 10 years I have at least 40 diff corals from zoas/sofites/sps/lps and my alk spends most of the time in the 4-6 range.

Maybe a light/flow issue or other irritant.
My phosphates are reading at 0.25!!! Could that be the issue? And what is the best and most effective way to lower this?
 
Sometimes those corals just don’t open for a day or few hours. Shed some skin on the leathers. Zoa’s could be irritated from sand or something getting blown into them.
the concern should arise if they are the same tomorrow.

corey
This is the second day now that they have been acting up. My phosphate is a little high. Ive placed them higher in the column to see if they need more light.
 
ph of 8.2 is by no means low, I'd call it just fine with no need to adjust.
Assuming your alk is correct at 7dkh, it's a bit low but not terrible.
Temp is a degree or two higher than optimal, but again not a big concern.

Are you able to test phosphates?
Truth be told, I'd more suspect nutrient deficient conditions.
Soft corals prefer a bit more nutrients in the water.
My phosphates are reading at 0.25!!! Could that be the issue? And what is the best and most effective way to lower this?
 
I’m most sure, I’ll let someone with more soft coral experience weigh in but I do not think that is too high. But a water change is the best way to lower them.

corey
 
I’m most sure, I’ll let someone with more soft coral experience weigh in but I do not think that is too high. But a water change is the best way to lower them.

corey
Thanks for the input! I just changed like 25% two days ago. I can do another one. But maybe ill just wait and see if they open back up.
 
My phosphates are reading at 0.25!!! Could that be the issue? And what is the best and most effective way to lower this?
It is not a problem for those corals in most tanks.

How old is your tank? How long have those specific corals been in there? And can we see a full tank shot?
 
It is not a problem for those corals in most tanks.

How old is your tank? How long have those specific corals been in there?
Tank is still young at just over 3 months. Toadstool has been in there for just over 3 weeks. Zoas and mushrooms just over a week. The lobo is just a couple days. A friend gave me because he had no idea what he got ahaha
 
It is not a problem for those corals in most tanks.

How old is your tank? How long have those specific corals been in there? And can we see a full tank shot?
Here is the full tank shot
 

Attachments

  • full tankshot.jpg
    full tankshot.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 43
I wouldn't really worry too much at this point. Softies just get 'moody' from time to time. My toadstool sometimes closes up for a week or two.

Your phosphates are high but nowhere near panic stage. Given the size of your tank, and your livestock, I wouldn't recommend any alterations to your care routine.

Was it before or after that 25% water change that everything started closing up?
Are you using tap water or RO/DI water for your salt mixing?

-Hans
 
I wouldn't really worry too much at this point. Softies just get 'moody' from time to time. My toadstool sometimes closes up for a week or two.

Your phosphates are high but nowhere near panic stage. Given the size of your tank, and your livestock, I wouldn't recommend any alterations to your care routine.

Was it before or after that 25% water change that everything started closing up?
Are you using tap water or RO/DI water for your salt mixing?

-Hans
They were closing up before the water change. Thought something was out of whack so just given some fresh water. I use RO/DI water for sure! Ill give them some time and hopefully they will open back up. Thanks for all of your input! Newbie like me needs all the help i can get
 
Tank is still young at just over 3 months.
There's your answer. One wouldn't expect to drink fine wine made 30 days ago. One wouldn't expect great reaction of corals exposed in a tank not fully matured with dozens of beneficial bacteria strains that havent even been cultured nor balanced yet.

Takes really good LR 6-9mos to develop a ecosystem where corals can live
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top