Help! My pricey gold torch is sad

PugsAndFish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 10, 2018
Messages
554
Reaction score
255
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an Aussie gold torch during a live sale. It’s been looking real sad. Never really opened up. All other euphyllia like hammered and frogspawn are ok though. I have the torches with longer tentacles and they are doing great too, probably the most open coral in my tank.

Any ideas? First time doe I’ve bulk cash on a coral and it’s looking bleak lol
 
071a9fbef70720eb015640384b2380f8.jpg
 
3828e68c6cc1995fcb08c0f3e763fa23.jpg


Other type of torch with long tentacles doing real well
 
If other corals are doing well and have no issues then parameters are most likely fine. It can come down to the acclimation process, lighting differences such as par and spectrum from the previous tank it was in. I can say from experience when a touch looked like that in one of my previous tanks it was due to my lighting change form T5 to LED. It took about 2 weeks to fully recover.
 
If other corals are doing well and have no issues then parameters are most likely fine. It can come down to the acclimation process, lighting differences such as par and spectrum from the previous tank it was in. I can say from experience when a touch looked like that in one of my previous tanks it was due to my lighting change form T5 to LED. It took about 2 weeks to fully recover.
Thanks. Yea all other corals are doing great - zoas, acans, hammers, frogspawns, candy canes, monti caps, birdsnest, and even some acros. It's just this single torch for some reason. i've moved it around some places. how long should i let it be before i move to the next location to see if it'll work?
 
Thanks. Yea all other corals are doing great - zoas, acans, hammers, frogspawns, candy canes, monti caps, birdsnest, and even some acros. It's just this single torch for some reason. i've moved it around some places. how long should i let it be before i move to the next location to see if it'll work?
I have good luck putting new euphillia in “dirtier” spots usually on the sandbed with lower flow. They open up fully in about a week then I move them to their permanent spot in the tank.
 
Thanks. Yea all other corals are doing great - zoas, acans, hammers, frogspawns, candy canes, monti caps, birdsnest, and even some acros. It's just this single torch for some reason. i've moved it around some places. how long should i let it be before i move to the next location to see if it'll work?

The best plan for success is to find a lower light area with lower flow and leave it. The coral will do better in lower light then too high of light. If the coral can come back then you can try moving it after it has acclimated properly and is fully opened up to a higher light area if you feel it's nnecessary. But one thing I can tell you for sure is constantly moving it around is not going to help.
 
Did you dip it when you got it before putting it into your DT? If not, i’d pull it out asap and check it for flatworms, then dip it either way. A dip in bayer will kill the flatworms. You will have to scrape any eggs though. You’ll need a magnifying glass to see those. If you do find any flatwormss, dip all euphilia immediately!!! I suffered a huge loss due this. Good luck!
 
Did you dip it when you got it before putting it into your DT? If not, i’d pull it out asap and check it for flatworms, then dip it either way. A dip in bayer will kill the flatworms. You will have to scrape any eggs though. You’ll need a magnifying glass to see those. If you do find any flatwormss, dip all euphilia immediately!!! I suffered a huge loss due this. Good luck!
I dipped in Coral Rx for 7-8 minutes. I do so for every coral and luckily havent had any terrible pests. I'll check again tonight. Is it ok to dip when I dipped on Jan 11?
 
To it looks like it may have been under more light and will take a bit to expand.

A coral will expand to capture more light or shrink in size if it is getting to much light.

Allot of times if a coral comes from less light and then giving more light this will happen till it adapts. Way more light than what it was getting can cause it to bleach to. Locating it in a part of the aquarium with less light can help or even some type of shade cloth could be used or anythign that cut back on the light some.

Most Euphyllia seem less tolerant of high lighting than like a sps coral and will stay shrunk if too much light is given.

Another thing that causes them to close is to much flow. They are delicate and can be injured.

If you dipped I doubt it would be pests, Euphyllia do not have many pest either. You still cant rule this out as a issue though. If other corals were not dipped they could come from them or if not dipped properly or something got through.
For example Vermetid Snails and their nets could irritate them for sure and cause them to close. These snails can be scraped off..

I would examine it closely.. Problem is a stressed coral may not make it through a dip.

Most pest that affect Euphyllia can me brushed or scraped off.
 
Last edited:
I dipped in Coral Rx for 7-8 minutes. I do so for every coral and luckily havent had any terrible pests. I'll check again tonight. Is it ok to dip when I dipped on Jan 11?

Yes, it is ok to dip again. It is important to look through a magnifying glass for the eggs. The dip will not kill or eliminate them. They must ALL be scraped off. I QT all my corals for 76 days (eliminates ich and marine velvet). During this QT period, I dip them once a week for first 4 weeks to make sure I’ve eliminated everything. Then dip once more before they go into my DT. Some may say this is overkill, but my DT is full of healthy and happy coral and fish. I’ve lost a lot, and learned some expensive lessons along my short journey in the hobby! Trust me, better safe then sorry!
 
0af315827735528250ce663243adb177.jpg
are those brown spots something to worry about
 
What are your params? And dont tell me theyre in range. I have a few torch if my own and some died but i did a large WC and theyre fine now if you do it early.
 
0af315827735528250ce663243adb177.jpg
are those brown spots something to worry about

I Don’t believe those are anything to worry about, but if it were me, i would scrape them off anyway just to be certain. Wouldn’t hurt. Once again, better safe then sorry.
 
What are your params? And dont tell me theyre in range. I have a few torch if my own and some died but i did a large WC and theyre fine now if you do it early.

Here are my readings:
1.024 specific gravity Refractometer
0 ammonia Salifert
0 nitrite Salifert
<25 nitrate Salifert (Color shade difficult to read and nitrate may be 10 ppm but let's say 25 ppm)
7.8 dKH Hanna
7.9 to 8.1 pH Apex
77.7-78.5 F Apex
0 phos Hanna ULR, Salifert
1140 Salifert (.66ml reagent dispensed, readings always inconsistent due to air pocket in syringe so I just ensure a consistent amount of reagent is used
Calcium 400 (Salifert (.66ml reagent dispensed, readings always inconsistent due to air pocket in syringe so I just ensure a consistent amount of reagent is used
 
Sounds like Water parameters are right on except nitrate are a little high. I use the nyos kits to test for nitrate. Fast, simple, easy to read. I highly recommend it!
 
So it seems like the brown spots are actually little holes. The holes don't penetrate 100% through but it's clear it's a hole...Could this be the issue?
 
Not sure about the holes... I wish i had more advice for you to nurse this one back to health, or determine what the problem is, but sadly, I’m out of ideas. It is possible it will bounce back. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted of any more findings or progress. Also, keep a close eye on the rest of your euphilia.
 
How is it doing?? I’d chime in to keep it in low flow and lowish light for now, and not move it! Let it be.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top