HELP! Purple tang almost eaten by nem!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
4,538
Reaction score
774
Location
North Kingstown, RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked into my tank room to find the circuit tripped. When I turned it back on, I could not find my purple tang. I looked in my nem, a 13" carpet, and saw his tail, so I slowely pulled him out to find him alive, but in real bad shape. How can I help him heal? about 25% of scales are gone, and about 90% are ripped to pieces. he is staying upright, but cannot swim right yet.
IMG_0973.jpg

Please help my favorite fish out! I will be getting rid of that nem ASAP!
 
Carpets are real bad stings. He will probably be a goner. Keep in hospital tank with good water quality. Hope for the best. Sorry.


Keep your friends close. Keep your anemones closer
 
I have yet to see one survive after bad stings. Best of luck, I hope he makes it for you.
 
I'm afraid I would agree...after going "head to head" with a carpet I wouldn't expect him to pull through. That sux...hope you can prove me wrong, LOL!
 
Isn't there a dip or something he can use? Doesn't melafix help with infections and wounds. Maybe setup a 10 gallon and treat the water with some meds and air stones?

I hope your fish pulls through.
 
Here's a little encouragement of how tuff these fish can be...

I had a 1" baby hippo tang stuck in the inlet of a powerhead for a day in a qt before I found him. He was bent like a "U" swimming in circles for a few days. The little guy straightened out and then thad a big sore in it's side. The fish ended up living.
 
Here's a little encouragement of how tuff these fish can be...

I had a 1" baby hippo tang stuck in the inlet of a powerhead for a day in a qt before I found him. He was bent like a "U" swimming in circles for a few days. The little guy straightened out and then thad a big sore in it's side. The fish ended up living.

Thanks, that sounds like a real bad injury. my coral beauty swam face first into the nem, and he turned out okay. Its the scale loss that concerns me, but with luck on my side he may pull through.
 
Well get the anemone out so no more of your fish get eaten is your first priority.
 
I would be ****** if it was my Purple tang. Definitely my fav fish.

Hope it survives :(.

P.S ==> I gave up on nems once I realized they can sting corals, let alone eating my fav fish ..

Keep us posted on the tang.

Sunny
 
That SUCKS! I've heard a of a local guy having 3 of his prize tangs, let alone other fish get 'lost' in a carpet.

Lol. I guess it depends on how stupid the fish are.

Then again I've seen them in other tanks. And the fish were fine. 50/50
 
No, Im going to bury the fish. The carpet also got 2 mandarin gobies, a clownfish, and a 6" foxface (already injured). The nem will be traded for some lr or dry rock and a nice bta.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top