HELP URCHIN LOST A TON OF SPINES

Wilkerson.reed

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2016
Messages
188
Reaction score
22
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have read that urchins lose their spines when dying, my urchin had lost half of its spines already, it is laying on the sand bed. Is there any chance of it surviving? What do I do? It was doing fine before I left to go to my dads house (I'm 14 and my parents are divorced) my mom took care of the tank while I was gone and the urchin has half the spines missing... I checked water quality not long ago and everything was fine, no nitrites, no ammonia, ph was fine, salinity was at 1.026, and nitrates were at 10-15. I've always had an algae problem and my water quality has always been the same. My urchin has thrived since I got him until a week or so ago he was hiding in a rock but he came out and was fine. WHAT DO I DO PLEASE HELP!!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469474043.120229.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469474081.421362.jpg
 
I just tested the water and the levels are
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Salinity: 1.028
My nitrates have risen a little but someone told me most inverts can tolerate high nitrates. My salinity has also risen a little but I also heard inverts tend to like higher salinity. Does anyone know what's wrong? Or what I can do? I really don't want the urchin to die... I have been doing really well keeping everything alive and everything thriving lately... I also do regular water changes every week or every other week.
 
They can be sensitive to salinity swings from what I've read, do you have an ATO? Or was mom topping off while you were gone? How long were you away? Just wondering if the salinity was bouncing around while you were gone or possibly had the chance to creep up even higher than 1.028 while you were gone..
Sorry he doesn't look good. Maybe someone else, smarter than me, will chime in on his odds of survival..
 
They can be sensitive to salinity swings from what I've read, do you have an ATO? Or was mom topping off while you were gone? How long were you away? Just wondering if the salinity was bouncing around while you were gone or possibly had the chance to creep up even higher than 1.028 while you were gone..
Sorry he doesn't look good. Maybe someone else, smarter than me, will chime in on his odds of survival..
I don't have ATO... I usually top off myself, my mom hasn't ever topped off the tank and everything has been fine, I am usually gone a week, but nothing drastic ever happens, not a lot of evaporated water so everything is usually fine... But it's definitely possible the salinity bounced around because water evaporated a little more than usual for some reason but nothing horrible...
 
They do not survive once they start to lose their spines.

Sensitive inverts such as Urchins, and starfish need consistent water chemistry, SW swings will lead to stress which leads to death.

I would not stock the tank with such sensitive inverts until you have an automated top off system in place, or your certain that the tank is being topped off daily.

If you're testing using a hydrometer it's also possible that SG value is not accurate.

I run at 1.024-.025 with sensitive inverts, if you're going to have some concerns with top off then lower your water change target value to 1.024.
 
They do not survive once they start to lose their spines.

Sensitive inverts such as Urchins, and starfish need consistent water chemistry, SW swings will lead to stress which leads to death.

I would not stock the tank with such sensitive inverts until you have an automated top off system in place, or your certain that the tank is being topped off daily.

If you're testing using a hydrometer it's also possible that SG value is not accurate.

I run at 1.024-.025 with sensitive inverts, if you're going to have some concerns with top off then lower your water change target value to 1.024.
I don't have experience with urchins dying, what do I do, just wait for it to die? I was doing so well too[emoji24]
 
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do. The death should have no negative impact on the system if the tank has been established for awhile.
 
You can make you a top off out of a 5gallon bucket make a hole on side next to bottom then put you a fitting in it with a rubber seal or silicone attach you some 1/4" hose the type like the locline fittings fit you can even put you a shut off valve on it then add you a float valve to the tank or sump which ever you want just have the bucket higher than what it's going in too!
 
I don't have experience with urchins dying, what do I do, just wait for it to die? I was doing so well too[emoji24]
Pretty much, it's sad but it is a part of learning to care for these creatures, things happen. [emoji53]

The evaporation probably was more than usual because we are in summer and Temps are up. My evaporation in the tank goes up because it's so hot and dry outside.

I'd try and get an auto top off set up on the tank since you have to be away from the tank for periods of time. At least, teach your mom to top it up for you in the meantime if she's willing to help.

If you tell us about your setup and budget, I'm sure we can give you some suggestions on a good ATO.
 
You can make you a top off out of a 5gallon bucket make a hole on side next to bottom then put you a fitting in it with a rubber seal or silicone attach you some 1/4" hose the type like the locline fittings fit you can even put you a shut off valve on it then add you a float valve to the tank or sump which ever you want just have the bucket higher than what it's going in too!
Do you have some pictures of this diy setup? Sounds like a pretty simple temporary solution for those of us who are stilling saving for certain equipment.
 
Pretty much, it's sad but it is a part of learning to care for these creatures, things happen. [emoji53]

The evaporation probably was more than usual because we are in summer and Temps are up. My evaporation in the tank goes up because it's so hot and dry outside.

I'd try and get an auto top off set up on the tank since you have to be away from the tank for periods of time. At least, teach your mom to top it up for you in the meantime if she's willing to help.

If you tell us about your setup and budget, I'm sure we can give you some suggestions on a good ATO.
Well I have a 36 gallon bow front with a 10 gallon sump. I run carbon, I have a protein skimmer, about 30 pounds of live rock, and 60 pounds of live sand. I have 2 clownfish, 9 hermit crabs, 4 snails, 3 shrimp, and 1 urchin that I can't tell if it's dead already or alive still... At the moment I have no money and my parents money is mainly going into cheer (apparently I pick the expensive things to do because between cheer and this hobby I'm always broke) my mom said she might be able to afford me getting a new tank for my birthday or Christmas and maybe I can get an ATO or I can build one like that one person was talking about with the 5 gallon bucket... Maybe I could get a job (can places hire at 15? I turn 15 in a few months) and pay for some stuff myself...
 
Well I have a 36 gallon bow front with a 10 gallon sump. I run carbon, I have a protein skimmer, about 30 pounds of live rock, and 60 pounds of live sand. I have 2 clownfish, 9 hermit crabs, 4 snails, 3 shrimp, and 1 urchin that I can't tell if it's dead already or alive still... At the moment I have no money and my parents money is mainly going into cheer (apparently I pick the expensive things to do because between cheer and this hobby I'm always broke) my mom said she might be able to afford me getting a new tank for my birthday or Christmas and maybe I can get an ATO or I can build one like that one person was talking about with the 5 gallon bucket... Maybe I could get a job (can places hire at 15? I turn 15 in a few months) and pay for some stuff myself...
Okay I didn't mean to put that emoji there, it's supposed to say "ATo or" but it puts an emoji there even when I tried to edit it. Okay I just have to put it as a lower case o or it corrects to an emoji
 
Here's a link to an inexpensive ATO, http://autotopoff.com/Single/index.html $40 + shipping.

You just put the sensor in your sump and plug a pump into it, and it will turn on/off a pump to add the rodi. I use an aqualifter pump, which was about $17 on amazon.

These do require some maintenance, just making sure the switch is clean, no salt or algae buildup to get it stuck.

If you can swing a little more the Avast ATO is another good option, about $90 plus a pump. Is a pressure sensor tube instead of a mechanical switch, less maintenance.

The working thing varies by state, so you'd have to check what the minimum age is in your state, if you can work you might try to get on at a fish store = employee discount. [emoji1]

If you try the float valve, I would not use a 5g reservoir. 5g would surely overflow your system if the float valve failed so use a smaller container (probably a good idea regardless of which ATO) .

If all else fails, try to teach your mom what to do, Mark a clear line on your sump for her to fill it up to, clearly label the top off water. Even if she only did it every other day itd be better than letting it go a full week.
 
Here's a link to an inexpensive ATO, http://autotopoff.com/Single/index.html $40 + shipping.

You just put the sensor in your sump and plug a pump into it, and it will turn on/off a pump to add the rodi. I use an aqualifter pump, which was about $17 on amazon.

These do require some maintenance, just making sure the switch is clean, no salt or algae buildup to get it stuck.

If you can swing a little more the Avast ATO is another good option, about $90 plus a pump. Is a pressure sensor tube instead of a mechanical switch, less maintenance.

The working thing varies by state, so you'd have to check what the minimum age is in your state, if you can work you might try to get on at a fish store = employee discount. [emoji1]

If you try the float valve, I would not use a 5g reservoir. 5g would surely overflow your system if the float valve failed so use a smaller container (probably a good idea regardless of which ATO) .

If all else fails, try to teach your mom what to do, Mark a clear line on your sump for her to fill it up to, clearly label the top off water. Even if she only did it every other day itd be better than letting it go a full week.
Thanks so much!!!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top