Hey! First marine tank. IM SR-80 build.

Personally I do fished cycles for ease. It’s a lot slower of a process in the long run because I typically only add one fish per 1-2 weeks to be safe. If you go the bottled ammonia route, you can add multiple fish at once because of the higher concentration of ammonia. typically a clown is one of the best fish for the cycle. Tank looks awesome!
 
Went fishless. Everything seems to be going as planned. Looking forward to stocking.
 

Attachments

  • 4B1C7EAF-3C00-4988-9866-5E05A09539F0.jpeg
    4B1C7EAF-3C00-4988-9866-5E05A09539F0.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 161
Ammonia was 2.0 yesterday. Today it is .25. Confirmed with two separate test kits. Once Ammonia goes below .2 does that mean the tank is cycled?
 
Ammonia was 2.0 yesterday. Today it is .25. Confirmed with two separate test kits. Once Ammonia goes below .2 does that mean the tank is cycled?
Went fishless. Everything seems to be going as planned. Looking forward to stocking.
Looks really good! I just got a new tank started up and I’m deciding whether or not to go sandless, any thoughts? My other reef has sand but I saw my friend who has a sandless reef and it looks nice
 
Looks really good! I just got a new tank started up and I’m deciding whether or not to go sandless, any thoughts? My other reef has sand but I saw my friend who has a sandless reef and it looks nice
I had always planned on using the live sand to help the cycling. As for glass bottom tanks, I have read that it isn't impossible to do, but you have to provide places for the bacteria to attach and grow. I would guess a good rock scape and some sort of bio-media in the sump. I am considering using some sort of rock or bio-cube in the sump in addition to my rock and sand.
 
Picture quality is lacking, but we have our first two fish! Mocha Gladiator Clowns. They were in a tank of 6 at our LFS, and have stayed paired so far.
 

Attachments

  • 6201D318-034F-4149-B8F9-C1643EB04132.jpeg
    6201D318-034F-4149-B8F9-C1643EB04132.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 138
I had always planned on using the live sand to help the cycling. As for glass bottom tanks, I have read that it isn't impossible to do, but you have to provide places for the bacteria to attach and grow. I would guess a good rock scape and some sort of bio-media in the sump. I am considering using some sort of rock or bio-cube in the sump in addition to my rock and sand.
Mines been cycling for a month and a half, I added two chronic and two clowns a week ago and so far so good. I’m using rock and bioballs, and I used dr time one and only bacteria (first time trying this).
 
Been awhile. We’ve been enjoying the tank too much. Clowns have hosted the anemones. One chose the smallest nem possible. Not sure if it normal for clowns to host separately from each other? Anyways.
57900998-96F3-4530-88D6-B19E0511A95F.png
5B0A264E-FF70-414A-8ACD-ADBE74BC75B9.png
 
Last edited:
Been awhile. We’ve been enjoying the tank too much. Clowns have hosted the anemones. One chose the smallest nem possible. Not sure if it normal for clowns to host separately from each other? Anyways.
57900998-96F3-4530-88D6-B19E0511A95F.png
5B0A264E-FF70-414A-8ACD-ADBE74BC75B9.png
How are you liking the the SR80 tank? I’m thinking of getting one. Pros? Cons?
 
How are you liking the the SR80 tank? I’m thinking of getting one. Pros? Cons?
Sorry. Just saw this. I’ve been in training this week.
Love our SR80. Arrived fine, wverything was an easy setup. After rock and sand put about 65 gallons in it. Have a thriving tank and have had very few issues. None of them with the tank quality. We got the 15 gallon reservoir from IM with it as a package.
Pros: easy to maintain, quiet, no plumbing to run.
Cons: sump would increase overall system volume, make sure you leave enough room behind it for working with lights and cables, now I want a bigger tank.
 
Sorry. Just saw this. I’ve been in training this week.
Love our SR80. Arrived fine, wverything was an easy setup. After rock and sand put about 65 gallons in it. Have a thriving tank and have had very few issues. None of them with the tank quality. We got the 15 gallon reservoir from IM with it as a package.
Pros: easy to maintain, quiet, no plumbing to run.
Cons: sump would increase overall system volume, make sure you leave enough room behind it for working with lights and cables, now I want a bigger tank.
Thanks for the feedback. Currently have IM 25 lagoon and luv it. It’s funny how you always want a larger tank.
 
I seen you stopped updating your thread. Do you still have the tank? If so how’s it been for this far? Would you do anything different, change anything or have problems? I’m having a had time deciding between moving fast and getting everything now with the SR 80. Or build the INT 100 with custom sump at slower peace.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top