How can I install Kessil A360WE in my canopy?

Kanecoral

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Kingsport, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at buying two Kessil A360WEs for my 90g tank. It has a canopy that I would like to keep in service. What are some options to install these units? Top of the canopy to water level is 7 inches.
 
Cut one hole that's about 3/4" smaller than the light then cut a recess that's the same diameter. This way the light will sit into the canopy and not slide around and since you say it's about 7" from the water would be a fairly good height.
 
Here's what I did on my 90.. Welcome to the kessil family.

image.jpeg


image.jpeg
 
I bought s long bolt hook if you will with a wing nut on top it sticks threw about 3 inches so if I need to lower or raise it just takes a few twists.
 
There are two threaded holes on the top that the goose neck adapter screws to. You can bend up a piece of metal to screw to the light, then screw that to the bottom of the canopy.
You will need to leave a little room for the knobs, but you should be able to have something that occupies 5" when finished, leaving you a couple inches off the water.
 
Thanks for the responses. One thing I forgot to mention was that my canopy is hinged and opens upward to allow access to the tank. The Kessils will need to be firmly attached so I can open the canopy 90 degrees and not have them bang around or fall out. I am also trying to keep them 12" above the water line when the lid is closed per Kessil's installation recommendations.
 
Well just FYI I went about 12 inches off the water line and I got shadowing from the center brace. Now the stay about 5-6inches off water line no shadows. And for the banging around when I take my large canopy off I just unhook the power cords to the lights and lift the canopy off. They do swing a little but they don't hit anything. I did it this way so I don't have to remove the lights ever time I need the canopy off.
 
Anyway you do it these lights are probably the best for moving. I love the fact they are about softball size and light.. Lol easy to work with. Have fun!
 
With a 7 " canopy, I can't see you mounting these inside the canopy. I strongly agree with @Jimbo662 , they have to be mounted above the canopy.
 
My bad. I forgot the Kessil thread is actually a 10-32, but the same principle would apply to long bolts or machine screws.
 
I am now thinking I would be better off going with the AP700 and raising my top lid by 10". At 18" above the water this unit will cover a 48" tank which is what I have. There is a mounting bracket that can be used to keep it under the lid. Price would be $100 more but easier to install.

Is the AP700 Apex compatible?
 
I am now thinking I would be better off going with the AP700 and raising my top lid by 10". At 18" above the water this unit will cover a 48" tank which is what I have. There is a mounting bracket that can be used to keep it under the lid. Price would be $100 more but easier to install.

Is the AP700 Apex compatible?
the controller is built into the AP700.. the only downside is they only support the IPAD and not the IPHONE although I did see something about an android BETA
 
Just curious I have heard a lot of people claiming measles only last two years before the majority of them stop working. Has anyone had better success with theirs
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top