How do I go about getting my clown fish to breed

justinparker

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 6, 2016
Messages
9
Reaction score
6
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my ocellaris DaVinci clownfish and my black and white ocellaris clown for about three years now, and I want to start breeding them. what is the best way on going about this. What are some ways that you guys get your clown fish to breed, what are the parameters of the water in which they will breed in
8875a7d81a6b69acf847f46eb55acb9e.jpg
 
Provide them with a suitable environment, feed them well and be patient. GL.
 
I have had my 2 black and white ocellarius for 5 years and they started breeding this year. I've tried to determine what has changed and the only thing I think might have helped is I started feeding LRS as a Lfs near me started caring it....?????
 
Feed them the LRS "who's your daddy" food. It is made for breeding fish :D
 
I've had mine for almost a year and now they started laying eggs this year. The thing that made them lay eggs was when I installed a new reef light that turned on and off automatically
 
A few things. Dropping salinity to 1.020, 14 hours of light, a bit higher temp 80-82, and feed feed feed! I only fed my broodstock dry food, didn't want to mess with the extra nutrient problems of frozen. I had a mix of Ocean Nutrition, New Life Spectrum thera A, and Top Dressed Otohime.
 
Mood music... :D
 
A few things. Dropping salinity to 1.020, 14 hours of light, a bit higher temp 80-82, and feed feed feed! I only fed my broodstock dry food, didn't want to mess with the extra nutrient problems of frozen. I had a mix of Ocean Nutrition, New Life Spectrum thera A, and Top Dressed Otohime.

Exactly this.
 
Healthy clownfish constantly spawn. You can't get them to stop spawning as these 25 year old fireclowns are doing. All it takes is the proper food. I feed live blackworms and clams every day usually supplemented with some LRS food. Any food that is fresh and not dried will do it. And mood music. :D

 
Healthy clownfish constantly spawn. You can't get them to stop spawning as these 25 year old fireclowns are doing. All it takes is the proper food. I feed live blackworms and clams every day usually supplemented with some LRS food. Any food that is fresh and not dried will do it. And mood music. :D


Where do you get live blackworms?
 
Wow I didn't know you could just have a pair of clowns mate. I have a nice set I'd like to eventually do that with. I'm guessing I'd have to remove them from the main display? What would I need to set up to make this successful?
 
Here in New York they sell them at many LFSs or you can get them online. Just feed clowns correctly and you can't stop them from spawning
 
Increase Feedings, increase there light duration. Like if it was summer. A little every week. Be patient! ! Get them a anemone! (Increase your nitrates =phyto bloom in the ocean,= a lot of food for babies=time to breed. lol) Just a little nitrate. lol. OR skip this one.
 
Some could lay eggs at 1 years old, but the female might be on the small side. Forget age! you need a 4 inch female that can lay 500,600,700,800 plus eggs. Size does matter. Smaller female clowns lay 100,200 eggs. No good!
 
Mine never bred but now seem to act like they're about to. I moved them to a bigger tank and lots of anemones. Hopefully that will do it
 
Almost all damsels will spawn if fed correctly. "Almost" all bottom fish will also spawn very easy in a tank. Watchman gobies, clown gobies, all cardinals, dragonettes and even wrasses will spawn if fed correctly and they will spawn constantly.
 
so what would you include in the tank Sand, Etc? also how would you stop the fry from getting sucked up in the filtration system? and what type of behavioral patter should you be noticing before trying to breed them?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top