How much on average to dose in sps dominant tank

Esquire805

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2016
Messages
962
Reaction score
183
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40g breeder with 20 gallon refugium. I would say 50 gallons total of water. I have about 22 acro frags and 10 Lps frags and 2 zoa frags. I did a test on water before but not often on average how much would I dose of calcium, alkalinity and trace elements daily. I know every tank is different but I am looking for a range of what others have dosed. I also have dosed acro power with great results.
 
So I have a 40g breeder with 20 gallon refugium. I would say 50 gallons total of water. I have about 22 acro frags and 10 Lps frags and 2 zoa frags. I did a test on water before but not often on average how much would I dose of calcium, alkalinity and trace elements daily. I know every tank is different but I am looking for a range of what others have dosed. I also have dosed acro power with great results.
I have a 40 breeder with a 20 sump, probably 12 to 14 sps corals, some lps, and some softies. I've been dosing between 35 and 40ML of bulk reef supply 2 part calcium and alkalinity a day. Hope this helps :)
 
Really depends on your system. Size and growth rate of corals play a big part, coralline algae as well if you have lots.
 
Really depends on your system. Size and growth rate of corals play a big part, coralline algae as well if you have lots.
Yeah and I also have a lot of macro Algae. My alk was already high so I don't dose it
 
I have a 40 breeder with a 20 sump, probably 12 to 14 sps corals, some lps, and some softies. I've been dosing between 35 and 40ML of bulk reef supply 2 part calcium and alkalinity a day. Hope this helps :)
Yes it does the frags have only been in there for a week
 
Only really the coralline that uses up Ca. I would start off with smaller increments and go up as things start to grow. If you're dosing more than the corals are using you could run into issues
 
Only really the coralline that uses up Ca. I would start off with smaller increments and go up as things start to grow. If you're dosing more than the corals are using you could run into issues
Yes I really don't dose anything yet a week ago my alk want even testable so it must be high calcium was 460 mag was 1460 oh about 8.2 so I might teat today to see if anything changed
 
The only way to figure out how much to dose is with daily testing and logging it down. Then you can figure out much your tank is using and dose accordingly.
Yes I been reading a lot so the main elements are just calcium magnesium and alk trace events don't really matter
 
I have a 240g with about 50 frags/mini colony and I only dose 20ml per day. I keep my range at Cal 420 and Alk 8.3. I dose magnesium at 2ml per day, Mag 1400. I do have a bubble magus doser.
 
Dose, measure over a few days to see what you consume. Go for manufacturer recommendations at first. Once you know how much you lose, adjust your dose. I have a fully stocked 60g and my corals consume a lot. Coraline is cleaned off all sides of glass just so my corals get the alk and calc. Good luck.
 
I have a 240g with about 50 frags/mini colony and I only dose 20ml per day. I keep my range at Cal 420 and Alk 8.3. I dose magnesium at 2ml per day, Mag 1400. I do have a bubble magus doser.
That's a lot of frags I was looking at a bm dose pump but it's about 300 is it worth it
 
Dose, measure over a few days to see what you consume. Go for manufacturer recommendations at first. Once you know how much you lose, adjust your dose. I have a fully stocked 60g and my corals consume a lot. Coraline is cleaned off all sides of glass just so my corals get the alk and calc. Good luck.
Yeah it's been a couple of days now but I dosed calcium 2 days ago might throw it off but will test I'm scared things might get to low
 
Only really the coralline that uses up Ca. I would start off with smaller increments and go up as things start to grow. If you're dosing more than the corals are using you could run into issues

Stony corals absolutely use calcium and after things start to take off, in much larger quantities than the coralline algae. Calcium consumption is about 18-20 ppm for each 1 meq/L or 2.8 dKH of alkalinity.
 
Yeah it's been a couple of days now but I dosed calcium 2 days ago might throw it off but will test I'm scared things might get to low
Make sure you are adding alk. By adding just calcium your alkalinity will decrease.
 
Make sure you are adding alk. By adding just calcium your alkalinity will decrease.
Yes because my alk has always been high for some reason but I didn't have any corals. So I am hoping the corals will bring it down
 
Stony corals absolutely use calcium and after things start to take off, in much larger quantities than the coralline algae. Calcium consumption is about 18-20 ppm for each 1 meq/L or 2.8 dKH of alkalinity.
So I should watch calcium way more then alk
 
So I should watch calcium way more then alk

No, they're consumed at an equal rate so they'll both need dosed at some point. Your salt is likely the cause of your elevated alkalinity, which salt are you using?
 
No, they're consumed at an equal rate so they'll both need dosed at some point. Your salt is likely the cause of your elevated alkalinity, which salt are you using?
I'm using instant ocean purple box
 
No, they're consumed at an equal rate so they'll both need dosed at some point. Your salt is likely the cause of your elevated alkalinity, which salt are you using?
Salinity is .25
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top