How much on average to dose in sps dominant tank

Stony corals absolutely use calcium and after things start to take off, in much larger quantities than the coralline algae. Calcium consumption is about 18-20 ppm for each 1 meq/L or 2.8 dKH of alkalinity.
Sorry to confuse, I meant in terms of algae.. coralline is the main Ca user.

IMO, the best method for SPS tank dosing is to start off with Kalkwasser in ATO. It will help stabilize Ca, Alk, and PH all at once. As your corals begin to get bigger and are consuming more. Then start dosing 2-part to keep Ca and Alk more stable.
 
Stability with the big 3 are important for health/growth but I've seen a HUGE difference in SPS coloration since testing for I/Fe/K and dosing accordingly. Believe it or not I dose more trace than I do alk for the last few weeks... also make sure you have some no3 in your water and trace po4. They need some..
I keep macros so if it gets low I dose nitrate but trace I dose every week cause of macroalgae
 
Sorry to confuse, I meant in terms of algae.. coralline is the main Ca user.

IMO, the best method for SPS tank dosing is to start off with Kalkwasser in ATO. It will help stabilize Ca, Alk, and PH all at once. As your corals begin to get bigger and are consuming more. Then start dosing 2-part to keep Ca and Alk more stable.
Yes I have plenty of kalk
 
Enough to keep your ALK, Ca, Mg, stable. There is no average that you can blindly apply.

I have an 85 gallon and I'm dosing ALK and Ca 12ml/day and I'm at a steady 9.3 DKH 460 Ca. 1280 Mg maintained by water changes alone.

Only way I know is by testing weekly.
 
Enough to keep your ALK, Ca, Mg, stable. There is no average that you can blindly apply.

I have an 85 gallon and I'm dosing ALK and Ca 12ml/day and I'm at a steady 9.3 DKH 460 Ca. 1280 Mg maintained by water changes alone.

Only way I know is by testing weekly.
My alk was off the charts I been doing water changes now my corals look made in was getting rtn because of high alk
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top