How quickly did you go from 1 tank to 2?

6 months. I started with a 75 and I got a porcupine fish. They grow really fast!! I got a 150. I had that for 2 more years. Now I have a 220!
 
In March 2019 started out with a "gifted 2 us" 46g bowfront, bought a second 46G bowfront a few weeks later on FB, BUT, only bcuz we were after the rock that was being sold in it, set up the ORIGINAL 46 in March, used the second to hold all the rock we were collecting (it's in the garage on a canister pump), bought a 75G, again, mostly for the rock and "goodies" it came with, talked about setting it up, "sometime in the future" ... then on Father's Day, went to our fave LFS, (Nemos Reef, props 2 Eric!) on sale was an awesome 90G... it's been up since June... now planning on moving the 46 into the 75, and using the 46 as a QT, which will go in the master bedroom. AND THAT'S ALL WE R DOING! I MEAN IT! (aimed at my other half!) ... And THANX 2 everyone out here, we are learning A LOT!
 
In March 2019 started out with a "gifted 2 us" 46g bowfront, bought a second 46G bowfront a few weeks later on FB, BUT, only bcuz we were after the rock that was being sold in it, set up the ORIGINAL 46 in March, used the second to hold all the rock we were collecting (it's in the garage on a canister pump), bought a 75G, again, mostly for the rock and "goodies" it came with, talked about setting it up, "sometime in the future" ... then on Father's Day, went to our fave LFS, (Nemos Reef, props 2 Eric!) on sale was an awesome 90G... it's been up since June... now planning on moving the 46 into the 75, and using the 46 as a QT, which will go in the master bedroom. AND THAT'S ALL WE R DOING! I MEAN IT! (aimed at my other half!) ... And THANX 2 everyone out here, we are learning A LOT!
Shoutout to Nemo’s Reef, that’s the only LFS for me!
 
probly should have mentioned the gifted tank came from our boss, who's been a reefer 30+ years, keeps a 300g in the office of the auto repair shop where we work, and have been helping him care for it for several years ... so got both, a GREAT source for guidance and some hands on experience BEFORE we jumped in!
 
Unless you have a lot of previous experience, stick with one tank until it is established, and you have good luck with coral polyp extension, growth and all the livestock is thriving. Too many people jump in, and start 2, 3 or 5 tanks, setting each up half done, and never have success with any of them. Start slow. Once you have a tank that is well balanced and thriving....take what you have learned and ONLY THEN, plan the next tank. Learn to walk before you run.

Totally understand and I agree. Although I'm purchasing a new tank it will be atleast another couple months before I set it up.so hopefully I will be a little more seasoned by then. Thank you for the knowledge and support.
 
probly should have mentioned the gifted tank came from our boss, who's been a reefer 30+ years, keeps a 300g in the office of the auto repair shop where we work, and have been helping him care for it for several years ... so got both, a GREAT source for guidance and some hands on experience BEFORE we jumped in!

That's nice.
 
So I'm curious, how quickly did you go from 1 tank to 2. I've had my tank up about a month and a half and I'm already trying to plan a new tank. This is addictive.
There are many stages to the reefing addiction I'm on my 7th.
 
1 year for me.. spec 3 “quarantine” tank next to my bed soon turned into a pico reef and I love it.. although more challenging than the bigger tank.
Now I can sleep reefing too!!
 
I have had my Red Sea 250 up for three years. I am trying to design a system that will share a larger custom sump in a cabinet in between the two aquariums there also needs to be a dry space in this cabinet for all the electrical equipment/ connections. My goal is to use cabinet space under the current tank and the new tank to house Qt tanks. One for fish and one for coral. That’ will allow for one water change on the combined displays and I will only have the QTs up when needed.
 
Took me about a year for me lol! One of my buddies just asked me if I wanted to buy his 725 reefer for 2 bills! Geesh ! If I hadn’t been out of work for the past 6 months with medical deal that tank would make 3 !
 
I kept freshwater fish for many years before setting up my first saltwater tank. I still have one freshwater tank in the bathroom, a 15 gallon tall, but my heart is with saltwater keeping. I started with a mixed reef in a 29 gal BioCube. I had 3 fish with an assortment of CUC critters. I wanted to 'learn' how to manage a smaller saltwater tank before I jumped in with both feet and ALL my hard earned money. LOL. I figured if I could keep fish and coral alive for a year in a small tank, I might have success keeping life alive in a larger tank. It turns out, I couldn't wait the year. Within about 10 months, I had purchased two 29 gallon tanks. One was setup as a quarantine. The other tank was setup as a hospital tank. The quarantine eventually became a tank for very small fish that would become a meal for larger fish and fish that didn't require a large tank. I was hooked by this time! I sold all my freshwater fish in my 75 gal and started it up as a FOWLR. I came across a deal for a 180 gal acrylic, and after sanding, replumbing, and building the stand, I setup the 180, broke down the 75 gal, and finally could purchase some of the larger fish I love. I have, so far, resisted the urge to setup the 75 gal again. Instead, I keep it as a backup if I ever need to quarantine and/or treat all my fish in a separate tank. I did set up a 20 gal for my dwarf lionfish and I often setup more quarantine/medication tanks when I purchase multiple fish, but they're temporary tanks and don't run all the time. That leaves me currently running one 180 gal FOWLR, one 29 gal small fish FOWLR, one 29 gal mix reef BioCube (recently broken down and recycled), a 20 gal predator tank, a 29 gal sick tank, and a 15 gal freshwater tank. Oh, and I have an EVO pod breeding tank. That's 7 tanks full time and up to 9 or 10 when I purchase new fish. hizbaby said it first, and I'll second it. "And that's all I'm doing! Sheesssh! Why did I have to fall in love with saltwater fish? Why couldn't I have become a cat lady? Cats pretty much take care of themselves. Well, at least my ONE cat does. And they're a lot less expensive! LOL
 
How many have you guys had at 1 time? I think the most I had running at once was 5...
If I get to 5 I believe the wife would make me build a house for just the tanks and would probably stick me with them lol. On the other hand might be a good excuse in the future to build a man cave. Will be her idea of course. Lol.
 
I started with a super cheap 56G "Cube" from craigslist which quickly became an obsession.
WE (wife took an interest) then realized the stock options were very limited and after 2 months, ordered the 240G (which, honestly, now seems too small).
 
Not long but soon after I got the second one I realized that I don’t have the time and patience. So now I am sticking with one. I usually spend 3-5 hours per week on my 120.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top