I am freaking myself out! Palytoxin poison.

I’ve fragged palys like that with bare hands many of times. Wash your hands, and don’t eat them and you’ll be fine.

86F61F38-EE4E-4A4F-ADE5-FCA562253EBB.jpeg
B48C2001-4013-4FB5-8802-E3905E8AB7BF.jpeg
 
Unless you had open cut or got mucus in eyes, your at low risk. Family would only be effected if you vacuumed it up or boiled it and had it go airborne. Speaking as palyphobic here, you're likely fine. I did some minor frag work last week on paly, had some mucus on fingers. Simply washed hands when done.
 
I’ve fragged palys like that with bare hands many of times. Wash your hands, and don’t eat them and you’ll be fine.
Right if I was just handling it I wouldnt be worried. The fact that I assume the pally was stinging the euphyllia because they were in contact. Could that have upset them to the point of releasing the poison. Everything I have been reading is you have like boil them, or wash them with a pressure hose, etc..
 
Sorry I confused because the heads are bigger than other ones I have had. Zoas release it too though? Certain things can kill you?

Oh for goodness sakes! He's scaring you to death :( Don't worry, really. You and your family are fine. After speaking to many reefers and aquaculture specialists the only cases of Paly toxin they have ever heard about are people who did really stupid things. Fragged them with a saw, no goggles, breathing through their mouth. There are accounts of people even accidentally getting the water into their eyes or mouths and they were fine.

Things that can kill you will most likely never be in your tank.
 
Right if I was just handling it I wouldnt be worried. The fact that I assume the pally was stinging the euphyllia because they were in contact. Could that have upset them to the point of releasing the poison. Everything I have been reading is you have like boil them, or wash them with a pressure hose, etc..
This. Unless you take the rock they are on out of your tank and boil them, you should be ok!
 
Unless you had open cut or got mucus in eyes, your at low risk. Family would only be effected if you vacuumed it up or boiled it and had it go airborne. Speaking as palyphobic here, you're likely fine. I did some minor frag work last week on paly, had some mucus on fingers. Simply washed hands when done.

Oh yea. Don't boil your rocks. Duh. Don't people think things through? Maybe, possibly there are things on those rocks that when dead and steamed might send something bad into your air? Have you ever smelled dying live rock? Ugh!
 
to put it simply the fancy colored zoanthids , by and large do not have any toxin , in fact most Palythoa that do have it , have it in small amounts , except for certain kinds , when they excrete it its like literally milky . I have never seen in happen in the home tank system unless provoked by some kind of very harsh mishandling . The hobbiests that have had issue I have heard of did really stupid things like cook the rock with live animals on it ! any Zoa fragger would tell you they would be long dead with the things that get done to these hardy creatures. So unless its MAD ugly and looks like that up there on the left and starts milking up the water , I wouldnt worry or stress. I have had colonies of these for years , us oldschool guys used to be like ahh check out the green "polyps" rip a piece off the rock barehanded and hand them to each other as frag trades, and those were the badboi's , In reality there are very few which have it in any kind of major danger level , and they are not commonly sold to hobbiests now for many years , and they are invasive and not too good of lookers , not cause they left a black widow trail of horror and victims...... Always be diligent
 
to put it simply the fancy colored zoanthids , by and large do not have any toxin , in fact most Palythoa that do have it , have it in small amounts , except for certain kinds , when they excrete it its like literally milky . I have never seen in happen in the home tank system unless provoked by some kind of very harsh mishandling . The hobbiests that have had issue I have heard of did really stupid things like cook the rock with live animals on it ! any Zoa fragger would tell you they would be long dead with the things that get done to these hardy creatures. So unless its MAD ugly and looks like that up there on the left and starts milking up the water , I wouldnt worry or stress. I have had colonies of these for years , us oldschool guys used to be like ahh check out the green "polyps" rip a piece off the rock barehanded and hand them to each other as frag trades, and those were the badboi's , In reality there are very few which have it in any kind of major danger level , and they are not commonly sold to hobbiests now for many years , and they are invasive and not too good of lookers , not cause they left a black widow trail of horror and victims...... Always be diligent
Thanks for saving my sanity. So you do not think the corals stinging each other would release this toxin?
 
I think your all good I have tons of zoas in my tank and handle them in and out of the water...I am fine. I think washing your hands is key and not getting anything into your mouth or eyes and your all good. Truth be told I siphoned my tank water one time and got it in my mouth :( that was a dumb thing to do but I was rushed and my siphon hose was broken...and I'm still fine.

20191203_143703.jpg
 
Cool cause with the real ones you got 5 mins , and you can breathe all ya want , hmmm on second thought send me the suspect zoas and I will inspect them lol jk :P Reef on !
 
I got skimate in my mouth / face more than once , holy crow that is the worst. Still here. I fragged polyps hardcore for years before I even wore any protective anything , hell all corals I fragged by hand like others state , now I wear protective gear, goggles , mask , nitrile gloves , but thats cause I am not so rambunctious and crazy any more. I also smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years and drove fast ....... I guess Im getting old ...... My best bet is Reefing will help take the edge of life and keep you living longer , than shorter . Perspective is everything and I hate being in those situations like you had , it is very serious in reality, now your armed with a little piece of mind. I can totally ID
 
My wife was prego 2 years back and I had briefly mentioned I had some deadly corals and she almost flipped out. Honestly, if possible just get rid of it when shes out the house.
 
I got skimate in my mouth / face more than once , holy crow that is the worst. Still here. I fragged polyps hardcore for years before I even wore any protective anything , hell all corals I fragged by hand like others state , now I wear protective gear, goggles , mask , nitrile gloves , but thats cause I am not so rambunctious and crazy any more. I also smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years and drove fast ....... I guess Im getting old ...... My best bet is Reefing will help take the edge of life and keep you living longer , than shorter . Perspective is everything and I hate being in those situations like you had , it is very serious in reality, now your armed with a little piece of mind. I can totally ID
Thank you I appreciate it. I think in the end it was just the euphyllia mucus from getting stung to death. Fingers crossed.
 
If it did release would the fish be showing signs?
 
Did you know that if you get bitten by a snake most ppl cause more damage by freaking out? Increased heart rate moves blood, and venom, thru the system faster than if they would have stayed calm. You did the right thing but some ppl completely lose control and make matters worse. It's best to take it slow and stay aware. That toxin is scary so it's good to see you're ok
 
Im all good. No signs. Just need to be more aware in the future.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top