I think I messed up big time time with bayer today

Leaellynasaura

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2016
Messages
299
Reaction score
209
Location
Wichita, KS
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used bayer dip in the past with no issues, but today I got a big coral shipment in and dipped 10 corals and then rinsed them. I was kind of frantic because there was so much to do with that many and I dipped and rinsed for 5 minutes each. I used the same rinse water the whole time for 10 frags which was 32 oz of tank water. I think there was enough residual bayer on the 10 frags that it has killed all my hermits/snails and shrimp :( Has this ever happened to anyone? The crabs are not moving and the shrimp is laying on his side and the snails are not moving. This is in my quarantine 20 gallon tank. Would a huge water change do anything at this point?

At least the coral looks happy.
 
I would say your assumptions are accurate that the rinse water picked up too much bayer. I suggest 2 rinse tubs before going back into the tank but I bet this is bad enough to you that you wont make the same mistake again.
 
Any residual Bayer left on your frags will be leathal to your inverts. I always do a triple rinse in tank water prior to introducing the frags into the main tank. You could do water changes to dilute any residual Bayer contamination, but unfortunately I think too late for the inverts in your QT.
 
I also always use 2 rinse containers. If the 2nd container shows any white at all I change the water in both.

You can try to run GAC and a water change wont hurt but I'm not sure how much you will be able to save. :(
 
I'd immediately do a large water change on the QT tank or move the inverts to another tank.

The other issue that people miss when dipping is that unless the frag plug is plastic, you want to remove the frag from the plug. The reason is that the plug absorbs dip solution and then releases it back out into the tank. If you wish to keep the frags on plugs, glue new plugs to the frags after they have been dipped.

Good luck.
 
The other issue that people miss when dipping is that unless the frag plug is plastic, you want to remove the frag from the plug. The reason is that the plug absorbs dip solution and then releases it back out into the tank. If you wish to keep the frags on plugs, glue new plugs to the frags after they have been dipped.

Good luck.

I never thought about that.
This is good practice anyway, because Bayer doesn't kill the eggs, which would reside on the plugs.
 
I'd immediately do a large water change on the QT tank or move the inverts to another tank.

The other issue that people miss when dipping is that unless the frag plug is plastic, you want to remove the frag from the plug. The reason is that the plug absorbs dip solution and then releases it back out into the tank. If you wish to keep the frags on plugs, glue new plugs to the frags after they have been dipped.

Good luck.
What is your opinion on how to dip things like chalices or other encrusting type growers on rock?
 
I've never dipped a rock and don't think I ever would. They are a sponge for any dip. Cut the coral off as best you can and dip the coral.
 
I have used bayer dip in the past with no issues, but today I got a big coral shipment in and dipped 10 corals and then rinsed them. I was kind of frantic because there was so much to do with that many and I dipped and rinsed for 5 minutes each. I used the same rinse water the whole time for 10 frags which was 32 oz of tank water. I think there was enough residual bayer on the 10 frags that it has killed all my hermits/snails and shrimp :( Has this ever happened to anyone? The crabs are not moving and the shrimp is laying on his side and the snails are not moving. This is in my quarantine 20 gallon tank. Would a huge water change do anything at this point?

At least the coral looks happy.
Sorry:( Don't beat yourself up.
 
Update:

I changed 5 of 20 gallons and replaced the carbon in the filter yesterday. Earlier in the day the camel shrimp was laying sideways, my big snail was not moving and the hermits were not wiggling their mouth parts. This morning the shrimp seems more normal and the snail is moving again. The hermits are not moving, but they are wiggling the face parts again. Maybe some will survive. I may do another 5 gallons.
 
Did you ever get this under control? Im going through the same issue but unfortunately its in my display tank. Wiped out all my shrimp and pods. All the snails and indian star are ok. Did a large water change and am running purigen and carbon in a reactor. Ive been reading very negative long term effects where others tried reintroducing pods and shrimp months later and they were also all dead instantaneously. If anyone knows or has dealt with this first hand any help would be greatly appreciated. I rinsed large zoa colonies off in two separate 5 gal buckets that were getting blasted by power heads in each. Water in 2nd rinse bucket was crystal clear. In about 6 or so hours all the inverts started to die off. Its still continuing with the pods after another large water change.

Thanks
 
The problem went away with time and water changes. I still use Bayer with issue. I do extra rinses now and never have an issue.
 
I'd immediately do a large water change on the QT tank or move the inverts to another tank.

The other issue that people miss when dipping is that unless the frag plug is plastic, you want to remove the frag from the plug. The reason is that the plug absorbs dip solution and then releases it back out into the tank. If you wish to keep the frags on plugs, glue new plugs to the frags after they have been dipped.

Good luck.
Yea - found this out the hard way. A chance came my way to score a bunch of coral from a shutdown, and i was going to discipline myself to dip and quarantine properly. Found lots of instructions, didn't read the cautions (if they were there) and subsequently - I actually dipped colonies on rock's - triple rinsed - but not the same as soaking a rock to 15 minutes with lots of swirling around. Hermits, cleaner and peppermints are all stunned. Running two canister of carbon on a 100 gal system - Mixing up water for water change (of course used up a reserve to acclimate and for the dipping and rinse process. We will see....
 
I have used bayer dip in the past with no issues, but today I got a big coral shipment in and dipped 10 corals and then rinsed them. I was kind of frantic because there was so much to do with that many and I dipped and rinsed for 5 minutes each. I used the same rinse water the whole time for 10 frags which was 32 oz of tank water. I think there was enough residual bayer on the 10 frags that it has killed all my hermits/snails and shrimp :( Has this ever happened to anyone? The crabs are not moving and the shrimp is laying on his side and the snails are not moving. This is in my quarantine 20 gallon tank. Would a huge water change do anything at this point?

At least the coral looks happy.
If misery loves company - you have some. Pretty much did the same - worse actually. I posted what i did above (dipped rocks). Running carbon and working at water changes - we will see.

Good luck with yours....
 
Last edited:
Well - pretty good news - ran 2 of 150 TLF reactors full of carbon, and several 10% water changes and so far so good. The shrimp and crabs are moving around again - maybe it's going to be ok.
 
Well - pretty good news - ran 2 of 150 TLF reactors full of carbon, and several 10% water changes and so far so good. The shrimp and crabs are moving around again - maybe it's going to be ok.
Do you have an upate on long term effects? I've just done this same thing and running carbon and doing water changes. Lost my Cleaner Shrimp and Emerald Crab. Hoping once it clears up I can reintroduce inverts after awhile.
 
Sorry for your loss bud, :(
Thanks. My Cleaner Shrimp died exactly one year to the day I got him. Pretty crappy on my part. Dude was a holy terror when feeding my LPS, but hated to nuke him.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top