ID Please, might not even be a hitchhiker

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
1,577
Reaction score
1,145
Location
Mobile, AL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought these could be hydroids but they do not look like any pictures of hydroids I have seen. They do not react to light and when pulled off with tweezers they feel really attached like they are more of an algae. Most all are branchy like tiny trees. When touched they do not react like they are any type of jellyfish or act like aptasia does. Before anyone says "scrub your rocks", that is not an option. The majority of my tank is covered in corals and these only seem to be in certain spots. Sorry I cannot get a better picture yet, the digital SLR is coming but today all I have is a camera phone. These are never on glass, only on rock and only on certain rock.

20211007_170111.jpg
 
Any pic with white lights
 
Everyone see how branchy it is? It is strange. It does not retract like any type of jelly or like an aptasia would. It is almost like it is a plant.
 
hydroids?? mini dusters??
 
Looks like colonial hydroids. Snip at the base of each cluster and discard
 
Can they be starved out?
yes- Simply direct water flow towards them, not at them and they will not be able to capture food and will starve and wilt
 
yes- Simply direct water flow towards them, not at them and they will not be able to capture food and will starve and wilt

So basically what I am likely seeing are a lot of skeletons of old dead ones too. Good to know. I hope I do not starve my zoanthids in the process.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top