Ilona's reef shop scammed for 60K, now broke.

Smells fishy to me.
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF
 
Smells like low tide in a Dutch canal
Lol. I lived in Amsterdam for a while when I was younger, and the canals are just disgusting, like I’m surprised that the people who fall in (happens more than you’d think) don’t just immediately dissolve. At the zoo there they have a big aquarium exhibit of a canal, there’s an old car, a bunch of garbage, a couple guns I think, and some carp in it (maybe a few other species). I wonder if in their pursuit of simulating a realistic canal they maintain a certain level of human urine in it?

But yeah, there’s definitely something fishy about this story.
 
Why doesn't her insurance cover the loss by theft?
Insurance doesn't cover loss through scams. The company would be covered if someone broke in and stole the corals, but being too trusting isn't covered in your policy
 
Things may very well be different in the Netherlands, but in the US, no one insures an individual for coral (or fish) losses. Your renters/homeowners insurance will cover the loss of/damage to a tank, stand, equipment, etc, and water damage to your home from a tank incident, but livestock isn't covered any more than other pets would be.
So, I think the store owner may have a case against her insurance guy for leading her to believe this would ever be paid...
 
Things may very well be different in the Netherlands, but in the US, no one insures an individual for coral (or fish) losses. Your renters/homeowners insurance will cover the loss of/damage to a tank, stand, equipment, etc, and water damage to your home from a tank incident, but livestock isn't covered any more than other pets would be.
So, I think the store owner may have a case against her insurance guy for leading her to believe this would ever be paid...
My dog has medical insurance so live stock can be insured. Just depends on the policy and what you want included but theft of merchandise certainly is covered.
 
Insurance doesn't cover loss through scams. The company would be covered if someone broke in and stole the corals, but being too trusting isn't covered in your policy
Sure it does if it's included in your policy. Theft is theft whether break in or scam its still a theft. One is burglary and the other fraud.

But for instance some people only have liability insurance for their car so if it gets stolen they aren't covered but if they crash into someone they are covered. Just depends on the policy coverage you choose.
 
Let's assume for a moment that all of this story is true and played out as it has been portrayed. What business owner would ship out 60k of unsecured product? Add to that that doing so would put them in a position of finical parrel. None of this adds up to anything that a normal person would do. I call mackerel.
 
Let's assume for a moment that all of this story is true and played out as it has been portrayed. What business owner would ship out 60k of unsecured product? Add to that that doing so would put them in a position of finical parrel. None of this adds up to anything that a normal person would do. I call mackerel.
My coral vendor buys 150k worth of coral at a time from his supplier. But I do agree with your assessment.
 
My coral vendor buys 150k worth of coral at a time from his supplier.
And I'll presume they are not closing their doors due to its financial impact. This is not about the amount of money. This is about store x is no more because of y.
 
Let's assume for a moment that all of this story is true and played out as it has been portrayed. What business owner would ship out 60k of unsecured product? Add to that that doing so would put them in a position of finical parrel. None of this adds up to anything that a normal person would do. I call mackerel.
Stinky mackerel at that!
aaaah… the old 60k in corals trick.

88BD4712-52A0-49F2-89C1-45B563C62A13.jpeg
Ilona and her staff
 
Last edited:
Here the story on a Belgium reef news site:

Google translate link:

Should make a correction to the OP (but i can't), it were several orders over a longer timeframe, not one.
 
Last edited:
Let's assume for a moment that all of this story is true and played out as it has been portrayed. What business owner would ship out 60k of unsecured product? Add to that that doing so would put them in a position of finical parrel. None of this adds up to anything that a normal person would do. I call mackerel.
Yes, definitely fishy!
 
This would be like advertising you have a $100k Ferrari for sale and anyone who want to test drive it, just come over, the keys are sitting on the driver's seat
 
Where is the news article for this story?
Personally I don't believe it, its not logical, no business person would do that. Without the full article to explain all the details, its fake news IMO.
 
Where is the news article for this story?
Personally I don't believe it, its not logical, no business person would do that. Without the full article to explain all the details, its fake news IMO.
Right here
Here the story on a Belgium reef news site:

Google translate link:

Should make a correction to the OP (but i can't), it were several orders over a longer timeframe, not one.
 
My dog has medical insurance so live stock can be insured. Just depends on the policy and what you want included but theft of merchandise certainly is covered.
Medical insurance but not life insurance. Livestock is not insured against death.
 
“I've lost everything. I had to get rid of my corals, my business, my hobby, even my aquariums because the city was no longer so keen on a business at my home.”

The latter is weird though. Because she was scammed the city suddenly didn't like her business at home anymore?

Or was it the other way around. The city wanted her to quit the business (at her home) and then she was scammed?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top