Inventions you’ve made for your Reef

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2023
Messages
5,891
Reaction score
25,256
Location
Usa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Members is there anything you’ve made to make your life easier for your reef. There’s been some good and bad inventions over the years.But yours could be what we are all looking for
Let’s see what you have made

 
I made a modular magnetic frag grow out shelf designed for either standard 2x2 tiles or 3d printed ones.

The 3d printed ones have a hole so you can attach a frag plug directly without risking harm removing the coral from tbh plug.

Many corals encrust before growing vertically and this allows you to get a nice 2x2 base before relocating.

I also have 2x2 tiles with 5 plug holes so zoa and similar corals can self propagate to adjacent plugs

I couldn’t find a magnet shelf to accommodate 2x2 tiles so I invented this. I don’t like tiles or plugs on the sand…par is low, sand is irritating, nassarius and snails can flip them etc


 
I wouldn't call these inventions so much as I needed a part so I made it.

I wanted to keep my eel from getting into the overflow so I made this topper for it:
PXL_20240114_163421824.jpg



PXL_20240114_163329827.jpg


I made these little clips to control the cables for my lights. The slide into the T slots on my light bar:

PXL_20230916_134919506.jpg



This is my Flow-Bee siphon algae scraper:

PXL_20230929_114321458.jpg
 
Hi
Members is there anything you’ve made to make your life easier for your reef. There’s been some good and bad inventions over the years.But yours could be what we are all looking for
Let’s see what you have made


Hi,

I really like this question, that may help all of us, Thank you so much.

Maybe not an invention but I'll share the last thing I've created for my store and upgraded some of my tanks to:

tanks are 70 liters and I separated 10cm of the left part of each tank for a side-sump, the difference is that the entrance of each sump is ONLY a small gap at the bottom of the sump (the glass doesn't touch the bottom) and the water circulation is about 50 times of the tank capacity; as you may guess there is no sand in the tank just couple of liverock for fishes to hide.

Can you guess why should someone design such a thing? LOL

the controlling of parasites like Cryptocaryon is too much easier in this system as the cysts or dormant stage of the parasites simply wash away from the glassy bottom to the sump.

many other small things should be done for this system to perform well but the overall mechanism is like this.


I would like to hear your precious opinions, appreciate
 
Hi,

I really like this question, that may help all of us, Thank you so much.

Maybe not an invention but I'll share the last thing I've created for my store and upgraded some of my tanks to:

tanks are 70 liters and I separated 10cm of the left part of each tank for a side-sump, the difference is that the entrance of each sump is ONLY a small gap at the bottom of the sump (the glass doesn't touch the bottom) and the water circulation is about 50 times of the tank capacity; as you may guess there is no sand in the tank just couple of liverock for fishes to hide.

Can you guess why should someone design such a thing? LOL

the controlling of parasites like Cryptocaryon is too much easier in this system as the cysts or dormant stage of the parasites simply wash away from the glassy bottom to the sump.

many other small things should be done for this system to perform well but the overall mechanism is like this.


I would like to hear your precious opinions, appreciate
Great any pictures of your set ups
Thanks for your input on the thread. It’s nice to see what others are doing to make things better and easier
 
The only thing I have done is set up micro tubs but the idea came from people keeping betta fish which the males fight so they keep them separate in tubs . So my tubs are drip fed which fills the tubs.I have a small over flow pipe that goes into a 22mm pipe that runs at the back of the tubs then it goes in to a tub sump and the process starts again . I also have another pump passing water through a chiller and back to the tub sump which keeps the temperature at 14c f or my native tubs .
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg
 
Great any pictures of your set ups
Thanks for your input on the thread. It’s nice to see what others are doing to make things better and easier
Thanks a lot, yeah just an interesting topic I can enjoy this forever.

for sure I'll share some pictures as soon as I get to the store today, my pleasure to share experiences.

I hope this threat gets many views and replies.
The only thing I have done is set up micro tubs but the idea came from people keeping betta fish which the males fight so they keep them separate in tubs . So my tubs are drip fed which fills the tubs.I have a small over flow pipe that goes into a 22mm pipe that runs at the back of the tubs then it goes in to a tub sump and the process starts again . I also have another pump passing water through a chiller and back to the tub sump which keeps the temperature at 14c f or my native tubs .
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0965.jpeg

wow, cool
Thanks for sharing
 
Almost everything in my tank I invented.



Diatom filters



Reverse UG filter manifold


Injectors for aiptasia



Algae scrubber



Sulphur denitrator



Another injector



Rotating algae scrubber



Evaporitive chiller





Skimmer



Mandarin feeder



Water cooled LEDs





Mojano wand, brine shrimp hatchery and many, many more.
 
Almost everything in my tank I invented.



Diatom filters



Reverse UG filter manifold


Injectors for aiptasia



Algae scrubber



Sulphur denitrator



Another injector



Rotating algae scrubber



Evaporitive chiller





Skimmer



Mandarin feeder



Water cooled LEDs





Mojano wand, brine shrimp hatchery and many, many more.
The injector is really cool well-done

How does the Mandarine feeder work? what food do you put in that?
 
The injector is really cool well-done

How does the Mandarine feeder work? what food do you put in that?
It works like this. You put new born brine shrimp in the funnel at the top over the water and they slowly try to get through the mesh as the fish eat them all day. They are all over this, and other forums just search for "Paul B" feeder.

 
Almost everything in my tank I invented.



Diatom filters



Reverse UG filter manifold


Injectors for aiptasia



Algae scrubber



Sulphur denitrator



Another injector



Rotating algae scrubber



Evaporitive chiller





Skimmer



Mandarin feeder



Water cooled LEDs





Mojano wand, brine shrimp hatchery and many, many more.
Ah great :)
Do you put the diatom filter in series if needed or is it constantly connected. How do you apply it?

Best greetings
Liftoff
 
Built this Back-up Pump System for just enough water movement from Salvaged Sump Pumps Module. Last Night it ran for Six Hours, after someone hit a power pole. Can run for a Week unattended.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0132.png
    IMG_0132.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
Built Three of These Flood Lights, call them the Coral Burners, the are on Plug in Timers to turn them on and off during the day. Shown open.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0410.jpeg
    IMG_0410.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0411.jpeg
    IMG_0411.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 47
Built these 1/2” Acrylic Bridges for a Three Panel Glass top for my 120 Gallon Aquarium. There’s a Spare as they still warp, and have to be bent back slowly.
IMG_3404.png
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3405.png
    IMG_3405.png
    673.1 KB · Views: 46

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top