Is HFT super glue reef safe (how about hot glue?)

I don’t believe that hot glue is. Not sure about the HFT vs any other cyanoacrylate.
I use Krazyglue - works great until I get it all over my hands lol
 
Upvote 0
I don’t believe that hot glue is. Not sure about the HFT vs any other cyanoacrylate.
I use Krazyglue - works great until I get it all over my hands lol
I was asking because its the only one that I have rn.
 
Upvote 0
also, does the gel have the same ingredients as the super glue? The gel has 2 reviews of people using it for corals. super glue has none
 
Upvote 0
Hot glue is safe. I have been using it for years and there is a bunch of it in my tank. It won't work for holding rocks together underwater. It is not really glue but just melted plastic that is sticky.
 
Upvote 0
Hot glue is safe. I have been using it for years and there is a bunch of it in my tank. It won't work for holding rocks together underwater. It is not really glue but just melted plastic that is sticky.
not for rocks, for corals
 
Upvote 0
Go to the store a buy what’s known to be safe and is what every one uses. Super glue gel. $2-$3 for a pack. Maybe cheaper at the dollar store. Don’t use it just cause “that’s what you got already”.
 
Upvote 0
Go to the store a buy what’s known to be safe and is what every one uses. Super glue gel. $2-$3 for a pack. Maybe cheaper at the dollar store. Don’t use it just cause “that’s what you got already”.
ik, just wanting to know if its ok to use.
 
Upvote 0
ik, just wanting to know if its ok to use
Lots of people use it for their tanks. But I don’t think glueing frags with it is that common. I think once it hits the water and starts cooling you won’t get that strong bond to what your glueing it to, if it will even stick by the time you get it where you want it.
 
Upvote 0
No, but whatever you glue with hot glue underwater will fall apart.
 
Upvote 0
I don't have the knowledge to answer what is better or worse but I got curious and here's a little interesting snippet from Wikipedia;

Link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Specific cyanoacrylates include methyl 2-cyanoacrylate (MCA), ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate (ECA, commonly sold under trade names such as "Super Glue" and "Krazy Glue", or Toagosei), n-butyl cyanoacrylate (n-BCA), octyl cyanoacrylate, and 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (used in medical, veterinary and first aid applications). Octyl cyanoacrylate was developed to address toxicity concerns and to reduce skin irritation and allergic response. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are sometimes known generically as instant glues, power glues or superglues. The abbreviation "CA" is commonly used for industrial grade cyanoacrylate.
 
Upvote 0

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top