Is It Possible To Get My Clowns To Host Something?

57F42E7F-4077-4385-8710-08AB7A23B4B6.jpeg
Sooo cute! Does she wiggle through all the tentacles?
 
Prior tank, I had one clown. It liked my frogspawn. They coexisted well.

Current tank with 2 clowns (a snowflake and a flurry). They don’t like the bta, frogspawn, octo or hammer. They like the corners of the tank for the most part. Definitely sleep up too near a corner or the overflow but wander around during the day. Never ever ever go towards the back of the tank.
Hmm, mine live on the overflow box, they always sleep there and spend most of their day there. The female is a little character though, she oftens pops bubbles at the surface before they go down the overflow and always chucks water out of the tank in that corner aswell, the back is always covered in salt, I clean it off every week
 
Mine's deffo a corner dweller, hopefully they host something one day
Yes, they are probably just new to the tank, and still settling in.

Mine used to host the corners, but now they host the rock work. Still haven’t hosted any coral (that I really have any for them to host, lol) but it is an improvement from the corners. :D
 
That’s an absolutely massive frogger! How long did it take you to grow out that thing? :0
It takes about a year to go from 2-3 heads to that size on the hybrid. Twice as long on the regular. I have been growing the regular since 2004 and the hybrid since 2012. In the picture below the hybrid starting killing the regular one day, so I had to frag it to save it. The great part of using a frogspawn or some other coral is it doesn't move like an anemone killing everything in its path.
FROGSPAWN HYBRID-REG.jpg
 
Had my mated clowns for over a year before they finally moved into a RBTA. I literally had a tank overgrown with the anemones and they never went into one. Started removing them all, except for two. They lived in the corner of the overflow box. An anemone had literally moved into the corner where they were and still nothing. Then one day my coral beauty was doing its territorial fin flapping thing hovering over the clowns and I think the female accidentally backed into it. I literally saw this when it occurred…it was like it shocked her and since then, both won’t leave the thing now ! I was soooo psyched when I saw her go into it for the first time ! I literally see them bringing food to the anemone now !

I tried herding them into it, the funnel trick that melevsreef did, nothing.

Try moving an anemone in your corner where they live, maybe youlll get lucky like I did !
EF7D142F-53C7-49D1-AD9D-7EC27747641C.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I have two Ocellaris, one is a mocha storm and the other is a Gladiator, but they've always just had a corner of the tank, maybe with my new tank they'll change but who knows. Can I see a photo?
We have 2 ocellaris as well, orange/white and black/white. They are hosted by a zoa garden. They snuggle into the polyps.
 
if you gave them a stick of dynamite, they would try to find a way to attach themselves and bond with it.
Here is a pic of mine:

660g 3.30a.jpg
 
18FDBCC4-FD0B-4D17-9FE6-A2C6DBD5ABC7.png

my female clown lives in sponge bobs house and when she was smaller used to swim in and out of the windows but now she only looks out the windows
If she out and about and something scares her she shoots back to the house in a split second (shes a scaredy-clown)
The male hangs out on the roof. The first time I found him like this a thought he was a goner but he just lies there super still (sometimes he’s like a sticker and don’t move for like a minute)
The male rarely goes in the house and really only does it when she is not looking
 
18FDBCC4-FD0B-4D17-9FE6-A2C6DBD5ABC7.png

my female clown lives in sponge bobs house and when she was smaller used to swim in and out of the windows but now she only looks out the windows
If she out and about and something scares her she shoots back to the house in a split second (shes a scaredy-clown)
The male hangs out on the roof. The first time I found him like this a thought he was a goner but he just lies there super still (sometimes he’s like a sticker and don’t move for like a minute)
The male rarely goes in the house and really only does it when she is not looking
Sorry missed to whole point and was gonna ask
I was thinking to remove this house to see if they get hosted by some coral in the tank
Is this a good idea or do you guys think it stress the clowns out to much not having the house in there??
 
Sorry missed to whole point and was gonna ask
I was thinking to remove this house to see if they get hosted by some coral in the tank
Is this a good idea or do you guys think it stress the clowns out to much not having the house in there??
Honestly I’d be afraid the female would turn on the male of the host is taken away. Maybe try putting a nem near it and see if they take to it?
I love the fact that they are hosting the spongebob house!
 
I've had my 2 Black clowns for 4 years already. In the smaller tank they lived in the right back corner... upgraded to a nice new big tank, and guess where they prefere... the back right corner They've been exposed to bta's. Once I had to keep a few for sale in an acclimation box, and put the clowns in too. Within minutes they were in the nems and herding them together. Straight back to the corner and ignored the remining nems in my tank (I even tried to make a little mesh fence to remind them... didn't work).

In the new tank I cut both the ends off a cooldrink bottle and put it over a nem. The male clown went straight for it, but the lady is the boss. She felt it and eventually also lay and swam in it, until I slowly took the bottle away after holding it for a few hours, and the went back to their corner

Maybe my nems aren't happy to have them and they somehow signal that to the clowns?

I'm considering the acclimation box again, but will leave them in there for longer.
 
Hii!

Just wondering if it'd be possible to get my clowns to host something and how i'd go about it, or if it's down to whether or not the clown wants to host something?
I own ocellaris clowns and a lightning maroon clown and I’ve had a lot of luck with goniopora corals but they are rather difficult to care for. Didn’t touch my massive hammer which was disappointing. I’d say corals with very dense polyps such as mushrooms and torches would be a good start as well. Good luck!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top