Is my tank about to bust apart??

  • Thread starter Thread starter sheeb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what the problem is (although I'm not suggesting there isn't one). So let's get some more info.
1.How many gallons is the tank? 2.Do you know the manufacturer? 3. Where exactly is the peeling happening - just one spot? All the seams?
4.Where on the seam(s) - near the top? middle? Bottom?

I have a 20 year old tank that was made with a large "smear" of silicone inside all the seams. After many years and many metal scrapers, there are quite a few "peeling" places and it doesn't affect the integrity of the seams at all.
 
I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what the problem is (although I'm not suggesting there isn't one). So let's get some more info.
1.How many gallons is the tank? 2.Do you know the manufacturer? 3. Where exactly is the peeling happening - just one spot? All the seams?
4.Where on the seam(s) - near the top? middle? Bottom?

I have a 20 year old tank that was made with a large "smear" of silicone inside all the seams. After many years and many metal scrapers, there are quite a few "peeling" places and it doesn't affect the integrity of the seams at all.
60g, manufacturer- n/a peeling- front 2 corners of tank. Could very well be from my magnet cleaner & it’s a variety of places. Ranging from the top all the way to the bottom scattered places. Tank is around 17 years old… jeez didn’t realize that
4- where are the seams? Not too sure if I understand that question but the seams are on both sides of the glass
 
60g, manufacturer- n/a peeling- front 2 corners of tank. Could very well be from my magnet cleaner & it’s a variety of places. Ranging from the top all the way to the bottom scattered places. Tank is around 17 years old… jeez didn’t realize that
4- where are the seams? Not too sure if I understand that question but the seams are on both sides of the glass
The question was, where ON the seams are you seeing the problem, like at the top of the tank, bottom, etc... Which you already answered.

If you're not comfortable with the age and condition of the tank, definitely look into replacing it, but I don't believe you're in any danger of the tank leaking/busting due to the condition of the silicone.

While I was taking my time writing my original reply, I see several others posted similar opinions.
Hopefully this at least lets you sleep tonight ;)
 
Last edited:
If you need us to say this is urgent so that you can tell your spouse that you need a new and bigger tank ASAP, just like this post.
hahaha love it! No spouse, just a college kid still! Looks like if I’m getting a new tank, I’ll be downsizing. More practical for me and for moving in the future, hopefully I’ll be able to get some money out of it
 
hahaha love it! No spouse, just a college kid still! Looks like if I’m getting a new tank, I’ll be downsizing. More practical for me and for moving in the future, hopefully I’ll be able to get some money out of it
So, first you're afraid the tank won't make it through the night, and now you're going to try to sell it?? Lol!
 
So, first you're afraid the tank won't make it through the night, and now you're going to try to sell it?? Lol!
No not at all! I’m sure the tank will make it through the night I’m not worried about that. If I just now figured out about this, it’s not a new thing & yeah I’ll probably end up breaking this down and getting something I’m more comfortable with. Knowing myself, this will be bugging me until I get something that’s risk free
 
hahaha love it! No spouse, just a college kid still! Looks like if I’m getting a new tank, I’ll be downsizing. More practical for me and for moving in the future, hopefully I’ll be able to get some money out of it
Hey I moved a tank from DC to Boston to NC to Boston. It can be done! Not easily. Not without really annoying the people you care about. But still possible! Luckily they are tolerant.

Get a nice little AIO and have fun with it.
 
Definitely not getting out of hobby though!
My point, in case you missed it, was that a tank that old and beat up, even if it's mostly cosmetic, is not going to sell for much, if anything.
 
Hey I moved a tank from DC to Boston to NC to Boston. It can be done! Not easily. Not without really annoying the people you care about. But still possible! Luckily they are tolerant.

Get a nice little AIO and have fun with it.
Yeah. Was looking at an aio Back in my hometown. Not sure what the volume was but looked to be somewhere around 20-30. Have to get rid of lots of coral and fish if that’s my plan though. In reality, my favorite things in my tank are my clowns and mandarin so that should work out
 
My point, in case you missed it, was that a tank that old and beat up, even if it's mostly cosmetic, is not going to sell for much, if anything.
Yeah. Not so much the tank but the hardware itself. Everything included sump, Hob filter, overflow box, reef octo skimmer, etc
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top