Is the Neptune Trident Ever in Stock?

There are already rumors about it.

Nothing credible though. More speculative ‘trident has done so well that trident 2 is inevitable’ stuff .... guilty of that thinking myself.
 
Nothing credible though. More speculative ‘trident has done so well that trident 2 is inevitable’ stuff .... guilty of that thinking myself.


Well the good news is when Trident 2 IS released it will be at least two more years before any place has them in stock. Except Ebay. ;)

I mean they announced the Trident at macna 2017 and what year is this?
 
Well the good news is when Trident 2 IS released it will be at least two more years before any place has them in stock. Except Ebay. ;)

I mean they announced the Trident at macna 2017 and what year is this?
Well, it's better than the Vertex Cerebra! :p

I don't know if Neptune just significantly underestimated demand or if the manufacturing and QC are taking longer than they expected but it's rare to see a product in such short supply for so long. I would think that they would start to catch up with demand pretty soon. There is, after all, a finite market for these.

I'm wondering what people would want from a Trident v2? The main complaint I see is people not wanting to test 4x/day, but my understanding is that is partly due to the reagent shelf life. If that's the case, the only way to change it would be to have different reagents which I'm sure Neptune wouldn't be excited to do. Maybe the ability to test other parameters? Something I think would be nice would be to either make a stand alone version or have an add-on controller box so you could use it with other controllers and/or as a stand-alone unit.
 
Well, it's better than the Vertex Cerebra! :p

I don't know if Neptune just significantly underestimated demand or if the manufacturing and QC are taking longer than they expected but it's rare to see a product in such short supply for so long. I would think that they would start to catch up with demand pretty soon. There is, after all, a finite market for these.

I'm wondering what people would want from a Trident v2? The main complaint I see is people not wanting to test 4x/day, but my understanding is that is partly due to the reagent shelf life. If that's the case, the only way to change it would be to have different reagents which I'm sure Neptune wouldn't be excited to do. Maybe the ability to test other parameters? Something I think would be nice would be to either make a stand alone version or have an add-on controller box so you could use it with other controllers and/or as a stand-alone unit.

Why do you think they wouldn't want to work on the reagents? If the thought is because reagents are like a subscription I wouldn't think so. If they wanted a constant revenue stream they would be charging for Fusion. They are not. Hobbyists really don't know what is the right number of tests per day. We know more is better with regards to data quality but how that effects our aquariums we are not sure. Some want more tests per day, some fewer, some in between.

I'm not going to lie 4/2/2 is more than enough for me because, well, it is better than what the tank was getting which was 0/0/0. I'd wager they are looking at data and possibly reagents while looking at support to see what needs to be improved. It is a solid unit, works well, and covers what most of us already test for.

So - saves time for the hobbyist which is important.
 
New trident? I would want nitrate, phosphate, and amino or iodine. No reagents would also be nice. Ghl’s does it without reagents
 
Why do you think they wouldn't want to work on the reagents? If the thought is because reagents are like a subscription I wouldn't think so. If they wanted a constant revenue stream they would be charging for Fusion. They are not. Hobbyists really don't know what is the right number of tests per day. We know more is better with regards to data quality but how that effects our aquariums we are not sure. Some want more tests per day, some fewer, some in between.

I'm not going to lie 4/2/2 is more than enough for me because, well, it is better than what the tank was getting which was 0/0/0. I'd wager they are looking at data and possibly reagents while looking at support to see what needs to be improved. It is a solid unit, works well, and covers what most of us already test for.

So - saves time for the hobbyist which is important.
+1 I would like to drop the testing down to 1-2 times a day.
 
Why do you think they wouldn't want to work on the reagents?

My main thought was they wouldn't want to deal with one set of reagents for Trident V1 and another set for Trident v2 simply because of the increased costs of supplying/stocking them and the likely confusion and frustration of consumers who got the wrong reagent for their machine.

I suppose if they had newer reagents that were backwards compatible with the original Trident they could simply do a firmware update to manage it, so it wouldn't be a huge issue.
 
My main thought was they wouldn't want to deal with one set of reagents for Trident V1 and another set for Trident v2 simply because of the increased costs of supplying/stocking them and the likely confusion and frustration of consumers who got the wrong reagent for their machine.

I suppose if they had newer reagents that were backwards compatible with the original Trident they could simply do a firmware update to manage it, so it wouldn't be a huge issue.

For that very reason I believe that any new trident would be probe based like the GHL. It would allow them to expand the feature set of the product and not create any confusion for older trident owners for reagants etc.
 
My main thought was they wouldn't want to deal with one set of reagents for Trident V1 and another set for Trident v2 simply because of the increased costs of supplying/stocking them and the likely confusion and frustration of consumers who got the wrong reagent for their machine.

I suppose if they had newer reagents that were backwards compatible with the original Trident they could simply do a firmware update to manage it, so it wouldn't be a huge issue.

Ah, I got it. I didn't think of it that way. Thanks :D
 
Are probe-based testers actually better than reagent-based colorimeters? Seems that each have their own pros and cons though I get that probes tick the bright-shiny-object box better. Pure speculation, but if I were Neptune I’d have a trident 2 as a complement to trident 1 - adding, but not duplicating, the things tested for. Helps to preserve product satisfaction LOL.
 
I mean they announced the Trident at macna 2017 and what year is this?

Same with COR! It’s a dilemma for a small company. Do you announce new stuff well in advance, thus creating positive buzz but potentially negative feelings should there be delays (and the inevitable conspiracy theories that result, and that always amuse me). Or do you wait until a new product is close enough to market to make the announcement. I suspect each has its proponents and detractors .... and somebody will complain regardless. I also suspect that in the case of trident that an early announcement was, in part, designed to combat competing offerings that were earlier to market. Hard to argue that Neptunes strategy wasn’t a smashing success.
 
Well the good news is when Trident 2 IS released it will be at least two more years before any place has them in stock. Except Ebay. ;)

I mean they announced the Trident at macna 2017 and what year is this?
They announced it then, but it was actually released in May, 2019, so we're just over 6 months out from when it was available for sale.

Are probe-based testers actually better than reagent-based colorimeters? Seems that each have their own pros and cons though I get that probes tick the bright-shiny-object box better. Pure speculation, but if I were Neptune I’d have a trident 2 as a complement to trident 1 - adding, but not duplicating, the things tested for. Helps to preserve product satisfaction LOL.

I have no idea but that's an excellent question. Even a probe based system would likely need some maintenance and/or replacement probes. Here's another hypothetical question - if you had a system that used probes but was less accurate or less precise and another system that used reagents that needed to be replaced every 3 months which would you pick? Based on posts I've seen you would get complaints either way.
 
If you’re still looking for a trident I just got an email notification that they are in stock at That Pet Place

 
Hardly anyone Europe has these except places like De Jong Marine for their own in house setups, or people who bought it on ebay and paid for international shipping+customs. Neptune has said that Europe would be getting a shipment in August and never delivered apparently. I got a full array of Hanna probes instead.
 
Ok; so where else other then price gouging Ebay do you find trident? Saltwater Aquarium, Marine Depot (only bundled), BRS, Aquacave, Aquarium Specialty, Premium Aquatics, Aqua Lab Aquaria are always out of stock....... its like they only make what 50 units a month for release? Been nine months since release in May and 6-8 months from when they hit stores...no luck at all. Lists are of no use it seems as never receive an alert. I would like to think by now they would have a better supply or larger inventory to be available for the hobbyists. Am starting to regret making the decision to go with Apex now.
 
Shows in stock here. Just google it. There are actually a lot of smaller aquariums supply places that people don’t frequent that show them in stock usually.
 
I picked one up on Black Friday, had opportunity to buy two others prior to Black Friday. When they release so few and everyone shops the same sites they are never in stock on those sites.
 
Ok; so where else other then price gouging Ebay do you find trident? Saltwater Aquarium, Marine Depot (only bundled), BRS, Aquacave, Aquarium Specialty, Premium Aquatics, Aqua Lab Aquaria are always out of stock....... its like they only make what 50 units a month for release? Been nine months since release in May and 6-8 months from when they hit stores...no luck at all. Lists are of no use it seems as never receive an alert. I would like to think by now they would have a better supply or larger inventory to be available for the hobbyists. Am starting to regret making the decision to go with Apex now.

It seems like BRS updates their inventory ~noon CST roughly. I just happened to be looking at something else one day and stumbled across it after noticing it had been out earlier in the day. That and watching this thread. The last time it was available on BRS it was posted here and it was available for a few hours after the first post was made.
 
Ok; so where else other then price gouging Ebay do you find trident? Saltwater Aquarium, Marine Depot (only bundled), BRS, Aquacave, Aquarium Specialty, Premium Aquatics, Aqua Lab Aquaria are always out of stock....... its like they only make what 50 units a month for release? Been nine months since release in May and 6-8 months from when they hit stores...no luck at all. Lists are of no use it seems as never receive an alert. I would like to think by now they would have a better supply or larger inventory to be available for the hobbyists. Am starting to regret making the decision to go with Apex now.
Check with some LFS’. While it may take longer than trying to get one from the major online stores, you can get your name on a list or generally pay for one upfront so you know your guaranteed one. Again may take longer but you know you’ll get one. I was just lucky and was on the forum and someone posted in this thread that BRS had them and I managed to get one

If you have FB, saltwater aquarium has a secret group (Saltwater Insiders) where they post when they’ll have some in stock and when they’ll go online. Other than that, just continue to check this thread as some of us try to notify everybody when a retailer has some in stock
 
Shows in stock here. Just google it. There are actually a lot of smaller aquariums supply places that people don’t frequent that show them in stock usually.
Not true it said that when googled but not in stock on actual website.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top