I received “Live Rocks” from
Tampa Bay Saltwater (@LiverockRocks ) yesterday.
Unfortunately I’m bummed that the images of “Premium Live Rock” from their website do not resemble the rock I received yesterday. And as of this morning, still appear gray.
Just for reference I ordered what Tampa Bay refers to as:
TAMPA BAY SALTWATER Treasure Chest – Box of Rox – 8 pounds premium live rock
I know it’s my first time ordering live rock and I probably should be patient with it. Maybe in a week the sponges, feather worms, and any critters will color up and start crawling around. But as I was looking at the pair of gray rocks this morning I’m still feeling disappointed. It’s likely that it’s bad luck that I got a bad batch, even more likely they had to address import issues into California. Of course, it’s not like this build has been smooth sailing. I’ve had issues with everything since the start. The more recent – before this order – have been issues with Ecotech’s MP60s (I’m on my 3rd replacement).
Here are some pics:
A nicely laminated guide sheet. I have to say that they do seem to be working with a very smart marketing-minded person. They’re ‘Customer Experience’ is good and they’re marketing story and visuals are well done.
I was very excited about opening up the box.
Seemed to be packaged well. But note that there was moisture all around the inside of the styro box.
They included a couple of freebie snails…(?)
The 8lbs consisted of only 2 round’ish rocks:
I did get a pack of Pop Rocks.
There was a slight smell…but nothing overwhelming. I was expecting more water in the bag since the rocks were not completely submerged.
Smaller of the two rocks in the display:
There’s just nothing on this rock.
Second rock is a bit larger and has some growth and what looks like an aiptasia…but I’ve been told on my instagram feed by Tampa Bay that it’s actually a “Light Bulb” anemone common to the Gulf region. I did some searching here on R2R and this does seem to be a common confusion with individuals receiving live rock. I'm not sure...
I’ll keep an eye on it and see how it goes…
Overall I’m ‘meh’ too unsatisfied with the order. These pieces resemble the “Base rock” package which is a bit cheaper on their site. Admittedly I didn’t know what to expect and my enthusiasm was influenced by those gorgeous pictures on their site as well as their instagram feed — so, again, great marketing. I should have tampered my own expectations.
For due diligence I checked ammonia levels last night, and this morning, and it remains at zero. So any die off, if there was any during shipment, is being handled by the display.