Jackie's 45g Corner Seahorse Tank

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2011
Messages
7,541
Reaction score
5,235
Location
Citrus Co, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that have not seen my 180g thread here is the story of this 45g Corner tank.

It was given to my daughter who was at the time a Sr in HS by her Marine Science teacher. He said he couldn't keep anything alive because he didn't think it had enough flow. She then brought it home and a month after she moved away leaving the tank to me.

It came with a plastic canopy/cover and a 250w Sunpod metal halide w/led light unit, hang on the back overflow, 10g tank for a sump and mag5 return. Oh and a basic plank wood stand.

Long story shortened it sat for a while (2 years) then I built a canopy and put 2- 24" retrofit power compacts in it (for now) and added a hob emperor 400 bio wheel, tlf phosban 150 reactor and a power head on it. It became the "toss tank". Xenia, leathers and the like that were becoming an issue for the 180 went into it. Needless to say it didn't get much attention. That is until a few months ago when I finally decided to do something serious with it. After all, it was sitting in the corner of my formal dining room lol!
Not a good picture but you get the idea...
f96e780bb116017d17797b71b690111c.jpg


Since then I have broke the tank down, resealed it even where it didn't need to be, drilled it for H2Overflow and siphon stop return. Then painted the back glass, changed out the lighting to sbreeflight led and built a 29g sump to sit along side. The sump includes a curve5 protein skimmer and Jebao dct3000 return pump. There's a tunze ato also. The ato 10 gallon reservoir is in the stand. I also have a 300w finnex heater and rw8 powerhead. It is temporarily being controlled by a Coralife day/night power strip. I just received my extension USB cords so that I can run this system off my current Apex unit. I have everything I need except my husband home to climb in the attic for me LOL. Here's a picture of how it sits currently.
2dd866964e682f98919ad384f40ab3ea.jpg


ATM the only critters in the tank are snails and red-legs. I have a very large Devils hand leather in it as well. I will be adding blastos, zoas gorgonians, xenia and gsp. Maybe some Acans. I would also like a red tree sponge but that's down the road. I have a 4.5" sandbed in place and it's been cycled for a while now. A tailspot blenny and royal gramma arrive on Tuesday and possibly the stars of the tank as well. I am starting with a captive bread lined seahorse pair (hippocampus erectus) as they are a little better for a seahorse beginner.

(edited to correct "autocorrect" lol)
 
Last edited:
So the seahorses will arrive a day late.... grrr. I hope this isn't going to be a problem :( The fish already shipped and I could not delay them. Hoping for the best.

Today is going to be a very busy day.

1) I need to drill a hole in the wall and get that extension cord hooked up to my Apex head unit 34' away and set up.
2) Get the gorgonians, blastos, acan and zoas anchored .
3) Find something to cover the power head to protect the ponies from hooking up to it around the sides.
4) Hook up a gfo/gac reactor in the sump (currently using it bagged)
5) Do a water change

I also decided I will be doing daily water changes through the sump of 2.5 quarts per day which turns out to 10.25 % weekly. This will help keep things stable and consistent.
 
Oh, I also have to drop the salinity 1 more point ...

Current parameters:
Temp 73.7
SG 1.024
PH (apex isn't up yet)
ALK 8.3
CA 425
MG 1280
NO3 0
PO4 0

This tank has been fish-less cycled and only has assorted snails and 5 red legs in it currently.

In case anyone is wondering as I know it isn't easy to see, the live rock is an island cave system. There is lots of open sand all the way around especially in the back corner and front.
 
Following along... this is gonna be a good one!!!!
 
Won't be tapped into the main Apex unit until an adapter shows up on Wednesday :(
My teeny tiny babies; royal gramma, tailspot blenny andMcCloskers flasher wrasse, arrived via fedex. Sadly they are not doing well. The rg is fighting for his life and the other 2 are just laying together practically on their sides. I put an air pump into the acclimation container I have for small fish and hoping for the best. The temp is the same as the tank so I don't really want to raise it if I can help it.
 
Following as well good luck with da fishies praying for ya
 
The fairy wrasse and blenny are in the tank but quickly disappeared. The seahorses, yellow feather duster and a purple ribbon gorgonian will arrive tomorrow. Have yet to receive shipping conformation on the sea fan and macros that I purchased from another company. Sure do hope they are worth the wait. I have some anchoring down to do that I didn't finish today. Once I have the seahorses Ill get some pics and maybe a video uploaded here :)
 
Always wanted to do a seahorse tank! Bummer about the gramma. Might be for a good thing, most basslets like those can be a little mean sometimes.
 
Always wanted to do a seahorse tank! Bummer about the gramma. Might be for a good thing, most basslets like those can be a little mean sometimes.
If you ever decide to do a seahorse tank do lots of research 1st. I knew it would be 50/50 on the basselet's temperament but hoped that if I got a tiny baby to grow up with them he would be ok. For that reason I have mixed feelings about him not making it.
 
The seahorses and purple ribbon gorgonian will be arriving today. I still have some prep work to do in the meantime.... The wrasse is swimming around looking great and eating however I have yet to see the blenny even when I put some mysis in. I hope that he is still just hiding.
 
Yeah doesn't really matter what the fish, it's always unfortunate. As for the blenny, he looked pretty tiny and is most likely still hiding. From my experience, they've always seemed to take a little while to come out of hiding.
 
Yeah doesn't really matter what the fish, it's always unfortunate. As for the blenny, he looked pretty tiny and is most likely still hiding. From my experience, they've always seemed to take a little while to come out of hiding.
Yes I agree. Both the blenny and wrasse are about 1.25" but the wrasse looks bigger because he's fatter than the blenny :D
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top