Leathers Drooping - Just Shedding or something worse?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jmunk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
K. That’s bizzare.
Very few things kill Xenia.
Leathers shrinking that Much.

#reefsquad
 
K. That’s bizzare.
Very few things kill Xenia.
Leathers shrinking that Much.

#reefsquad
I know, especially just overnight. And then the mushrooms are ok, but all the leathers melt at the same time? And no returns on polyfilters at all? I'm just so lost as to what to do.
 
I know, especially just overnight. And then the mushrooms are ok, but all the leathers melt at the same time? And no returns on polyfilters at all? I'm just so lost as to what to do.

What are you using to check your salinity? And if it's a refractometer when was it last calibrated? My toad stool did the exact same thing when I accidentally did a WC with RODI ;Sorry took a week and a bit for them to start perking back up even though I got the salinity back the next day. Very weird situation you have though...
 
I know, especially just overnight. And then the mushrooms are ok, but all the leathers melt at the same time? And no returns on polyfilters at all? I'm just so lost as to what to do.
I’ve had only half a tank crash. Even only half the acros.

Somthing is up. Can’t think of what common thing would do that.
 
What are you using to check your salinity? And if it's a refractometer when was it last calibrated? My toad stool did the exact same thing when I accidentally did a WC with RODI ;Sorry took a week and a bit for them to start perking back up even though I got the salinity back the next day. Very weird situation you have though...
Refractometer. I even thought of that and calibrated it a few days ago using the calibration solution and it came out spot on.
 
did you add gfo to the tank
I did not, never have. The way I'm bringing down phosphate is using phosphateRx. I've only used that once & I've used it before with no adverse affects.
 
test water for chlorine. Maybe rodi let some in.
 
test water for chlorine. Maybe rodi let some in.
Hmm. Maybe I can bring water to a LFS and they can test? I can't seem to find any really reliable test kits for it other than the $50 hanna checker from BRS.
 
Aggressive carbon , like a reactor will pull the cloramines. Seachem prime will also bind it.
Gfo will pull many heavy metals.
 
Aggressive carbon , like a reactor will pull the cloramines. Seachem prime will also bind it.
Gfo will pull many heavy metals.
Yeah I'm running carbon in a reactor now. Maybe I should change out the carbon aggressively? What would you suggest? I also have another reactor and GFO on hand, maybe I should start running that too? I'm scared of changing too many things in fear that it's simply them trying to adjust.
 
Agreed. Yea fresh carbon , a small amount of gfo. Don’t use a whole lot.

If you have any of the rodi , test the tds.
If you have them. Test for ammoina. And nitrites. Could show a mini cycle.
Also sniff the tank for the smell of rotten eggs.
 
Agreed. Yea fresh carbon , a small amount of gfo. Don’t use a whole lot.

If you have any of the rodi , test the tds.
If you have them. Test for ammoina. And nitrites. Could show a mini cycle.
Also sniff the tank for the smell of rotten eggs.
I tested the RODI a few days ago, it tested at 1 PPM. I haven't changed the filters out in a LONG time, so I ordered all new stuff including a membrane and it's coming tomorrow. I also smelled the tank as I thought about that too, I didn't notice any off smell at all.

Also, since chlorine is pretty toxic to fish, if there was any in my tank, wouldn't the fish be acting strange? It seems to be only affecting coral. Also, do you think since I'm getting all new RODI filters tomorrow, should I do another WC with fresh 0 TDS water?
 
Chloramine is “toxic” different. It’s a mild oxidizer so it attacks smaller organisms basically. Like some folks dose actual bleach. So the bacteria and macro Fauna are attacked first , larger animals not so much, but a slime coat on a fish could have maybe. Kinda similar to copper treatments, but different chemistry.

1 tds should be negligible. What could come in i think would be cloramines and coppper from the pipes. Tiny chance bacteria got into the rodi itself and went anaerobic but it would have to be unused and abused to make that possible.
My thought on the smell would also be anerobic bacteria from the sand releasing sulfur. (Gfo pulls that ) but water changes should have diluted that.

The salt question is a good one.

Fresh rodi and salt are about the only thing I can think of.
The carbon and gfo will pull other stuff. You could put purigen or chemipure into the mix lightly as they bind other undesirable ions gfo and carbon don’t.
 
Chloramine is “toxic” different. It’s a mild oxidizer so it attacks smaller organisms basically. Like some folks dose actual bleach. So the bacteria and macro Fauna are attacked first , larger animals not so much, but a slime coat on a fish could have maybe. Kinda similar to copper treatments, but different chemistry.

1 tds should be negligible. What could come in i think would be cloramines and coppper from the pipes. Tiny chance bacteria got into the rodi itself and went anaerobic but it would have to be unused and abused to make that possible.
My thought on the smell would also be anerobic bacteria from the sand releasing sulfur. (Gfo pulls that ) but water changes should have diluted that.

The salt question is a good one.

Fresh rodi and salt are about the only thing I can think of.
The carbon and gfo will pull other stuff. You could put purigen or chemipure into the mix lightly as they bind other undesirable ions gfo and carbon don’t.
Gotcha. So I really would need to test for chloramines then? For the second water change I bought new salt, so I'm not using any of that old crap, to answer Lasse's question. When you say my ROD would have had to have been unused and abused, do I fit that? Other than making top off water every few days, I hadn't really used it for months and months, and didn't change out the filters for the same period of time, well over when they were due.

FWIW, I did buy a copper test kit and both times I tested it showed zero copper. I have cuprisorb on hand but I'm not really sure I should even use any.

Would new filters resolve any problems if they were within the RODI, or would I need to purchase a new system to be sure?
 
Any magnets in the tank that could be leaching?
It's a good thought. I only have the magfloat and the two vortechs. They've been in there since way before all this happened when everything was doing fine, so I don't think they're the culprit. I haven't added anything like that recently.
 
Can’t really test for cloramines.

You’d have to not change em for a LONG time , let em get hot n cold hardly if ever use em , keep it in a dusty dirty place.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top