Looking at Auto Top Off equipment, what performs as advertised.

This is what I use and my brother and buddies use we have never had a problem ever. Mines been up and running for 3 yrs I have it installed in a 29 gal biocube. It pumps about four foot from my reservoir to display.

CFCD806E-A361-41E3-BCCE-8EE73431B340.jpeg

Same here... never a problem and works like a charm
 
I have tried several, and so far the Tunze 3155 has been the most reliable hands down.
 
Most tunze units, smart ATO and JBJ Ato
 
I use a reservoir that gravity feeds an Eshopps float to the sump. Simple. Nothing to fail.
 
I also speak to autotopoff.com, I used one of their kits with a harbor freight pump and never had issues for 2 years. When I upgraded to a larger system and got a Apex, a breakout box, PMUP, and good programming does my ATO, never fails, has some nice redundancy built in, as long as I keep my floats clean and tested.
 
If you have a controller and RO/DI unit. You can hook it up directly. Just use 2 float switches, the second as a fail safe. You will need a solenoid connected to RO/DI unit to turn the water on and off. That is what I have done for over 10 years with no issues. You will eat up DI resin quicker. Just FYI.
I have this setup from autotopoff.com. I have had the controller continue to send signal to the solenoid with the water almost to the top of my sump when I woke up. I didn't figure out why and it hasn't happened in the last 3 weeks. I would suggest a third sensor controlled by reef-pi/Apex etc. That would shut power to the unit.
 
My only issue with the 3155 over the nano in a nano tank, is if there is a power blip, the 3155 automatically primes the pump dumping about 1/2C of water into the tank. The nano just restarts and does not prime the pump.

Normally not a big deal, but in a nano if your power is flaky like mine, that could lead to major overflow in nano tank.
 
I have never been able to get the Tunze units to work properly. They have had multiple failures of different components. I currently use an Icecap without any problems
 
I have 2-Tunze 3155's and they have been flawless. Very precise with the optical switch and safe with the float switch as back up.

If you're concerned about possible overflow, don't keep an excess of RO water in your ATO container. I have about 3 gallons in my 55 gallon ATO reservoir and about 2 in my 34 gallon. Enough to last 3 days or more, but not enough to cause a flood or major dilution. At least I don't think so, it's never failed.
 
Spectra pure’s system is very good. I have 2 and prefer it over the venerable Tunze 3155. I like the Spectrapure because of the dual pressure gauges and the slower peristaltic pump, which also has no back siphon concern.

One downside is that there is a wear item since there’s a peristaltic pump. The tube in the pump needs to be changed after a lot of use.
 
JBJ ATO, with a controller that turns it on/off once a day for 20-30 seconds as a fail safe.
 
I have a 29 gallon aquarium with the tunze 3155 and a 3 gallon container. As other people say it just works. I like the fact it comes with a backup switch so there is some level of redundancy built in without having to purchase extra equipment. I have been running mine for a few months and never had any issues.
 
I have this setup from autotopoff.com. I have had the controller continue to send signal to the solenoid with the water almost to the top of my sump when I woke up. I didn't figure out why and it hasn't happened in the last 3 weeks. I would suggest a third sensor controlled by reef-pi/Apex etc. That would shut power to the unit.

Oh. Mine is connected to apex controller. There is no need for third float switch for my design. First float switch controls water level in sump. Should it get dirty or whatever the second float is engaged and will control water level (a little higher in sump) and apex sends me alarm to let me know first one failed. Apex also sends me text every time the second float is engaged and disengaged. If i want i can turn off solenoid manually as well. Everthing is contained with fail safes.

It doesnt hurt to add as many fail safes as you want. My best investment was battery backup.
 
Oh. Mine is connected to apex controller. There is no need for third float switch for my design. First float switch controls water level in sump. Should it get dirty or whatever the second float is engaged and will control water level (a little higher in sump) and apex sends me alarm to let me know first one failed. Apex also sends me text every time the second float is engaged and disengaged. If i want i can turn off solenoid manually as well. Everthing is contained with fail safes.

It doesnt hurt to add as many fail safes as you want. My best investment was battery backup.

I have my tunze on my apex as well it is set to turn off if the return pump is off (water level raises and the alarm goes off otherwise). It also turns off is the salinity goes below 31 ppm as an additional check in case both sensors fail.
 
XP Duetto, been using it on my 29 gallon for a few weeks now and love it. The dual sensor is so tiny you dont even notice it.
 
This is what I use and my brother and buddies use we have never had a problem ever. Mines been up and running for 3 yrs I have it installed in a 29 gal biocube. It pumps about four foot from my reservoir to display.

CFCD806E-A361-41E3-BCCE-8EE73431B340.jpeg

I have been extremely happy with mine. Tiny, optical switch, smart overflow control, good accessories such as the switch to use any ATO pump.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top