Looking to make some reef friends in SoCal!

Please let me know when the next meeting is. I’d love to come!!!
Due to the Coronavirus situation, we have suspended the last, and probably the next meeting. We traditionally meet the third Friday of the month at 7pm at IHop in Santa Ana
 
im less than 10 miles away :) on lincoln between denni and moody
 
The club I am apart of (Invertebrate Club of Southern California) is doing Skype meetings so that we can still have the community and discussion of regular meetings in these difficult times. It also allows us to have members who usually can't make it due to distance or whatever join us, as well as guest speakers who can't come due to distance/cost.

Maybe the SCMAS can meet similarly?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
 
The club I am apart of (Invertebrate Club of Southern California) is doing Skype meetings so that we can still have the community and discussion of regular meetings in these difficult times. It also allows us to have members who usually can't make it due to distance or whatever join us, as well as guest speakers who can't come due to distance/cost.

Maybe the SCMAS can meet similarly?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
But I like my pancakes!!! ;)
 
But I like my pancakes!!! ;)

Ha ha! So do I...reminds of the one meeting I went to.
You can't have them at IHOP as it is anyway though...so why not make some for yourself while you meet ;)?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
 
san diego here! starting with a 20 gallon the past year now. Im waiting to move out to upgrade to a bigger tank, so I'm just learning as much as i can!
 
Hey guys! So I see bunch of people in South OC! I'm in RMV and was thinking to start a South OC reef club with...I already have couple of people/friends interested...MSG me if interested!
 
Located in menifee here in the process of setting up a 9 gal peninsula atm!
 
I am in irvine. just set up my picotope for the 3rd time after a few years of not having a tank.
 
Hey guys! I am located in south Orange County and just starting up a new 200 gallon tank! Super stoked for it to be up and running!!
Hello Reefer, what part of OC are you living? I am Seal Beach CA. I have issues with a 4 year old Red Sea Max E170 and my Nano 20 Gallon Tank. Trying so hard to get flatworms out, and I know I have the planaria too. I set up a Quarantine Tank (10 Gallons) only to contaminate it with the same the others have. I dont use the same anything for all any more, but still in the middle of clearing it all. You ever had all this? The last picture I believe this is a nubibranch right?

SNAIL YOU DONT WANT.jpg pumpkin getting attacked 11-23-20.jpg before cleaned rearranmmged.jpg nano after cleaned and new sand.jpg NUBI.jpg
 
Your first picture is a bristle worm. There is no real reason to remove them. They are part of your clean up crew. Arrow crabs will eat the and it is fun watching them do so. Dome wrasse will also.
I do not see planira in your photos. They are pretty much harmless, but ugly and annoying. They are easy to control using a variety of methods. Many fish will eat them, especially when in the water column. You can blast them off of corals and rocks with a turkey baster or power head. Scooter blennies, target mandarins and many wrasse eat them and are more effective. Also they dissolve very quickly in fresh water. Just swerl any rock or corals around in fresh water for a few seconds and they will come off and dissolve. The fresh dip will kill pods and brittle stars as well so keep them quick. Another method if you have phosphates in your tank is to use Lanthanum chloride. Blue Life sells it as Phosphaye Control. Other companies sell it as well. Dose at half the recommended dosage and over time you will notice the planira slowly disappear. Keep an eye on your phosphates while doing this.. Do not us this method if you do not have phosphates, as it will cause calcium to participate and may suffocate some fish like tangs.
I do not recommend you use flat worm exit, as to many people have killed there tanks using it.
The last photo is a nudibranch, but I don't know if it is harmful or not.
 
Hello Reefer, what part of OC are you living? I am Seal Beach CA. I have issues with a 4 year old Red Sea Max E170 and my Nano 20 Gallon Tank. Trying so hard to get flatworms out, and I know I have the planaria too. I set up a Quarantine Tank (10 Gallons) only to contaminate it with the same the others have. I dont use the same anything for all any more, but still in the middle of clearing it all. You ever had all this? The last picture I believe this is a nubibranch right?

SNAIL YOU DONT WANT.jpg pumpkin getting attacked 11-23-20.jpg before cleaned rearranmmged.jpg nano after cleaned and new sand.jpg NUBI.jpg
That's a zoa eating nudibranch. All they eat are zoas.
 
That's a zoa eating nudibranch. All they eat are zoas.
How do it get them out of my tank. I have almost bare bottom tanks because I have so many eggs. It does not work with Flatworm exit?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top